Newbie Question - Dry Box - Is it Essential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho77

Jul 25, 2009
Singapore
Hey guys... quick question for the newbie.

Am using a Sony Alpha 700 with a 28-108mm lens kit.

I use the camera fairly often. Once every week or 2.

Am I still required to keep the camera and lens in a dry box?

Also, what's a basic cleaning kit to get?

Thanks!

Get yourself a Dry Cabinet if you value your camera.

if you don't use it so often, dry box or better yet, a dry cabinet.

blower, lens pen, lens cleaner set.

I suggest you make a search here as your question has also been answered a couple of times. ;)

Hello...firstly a warm welcome to you.

As the bros have mentioned here, a dry cabinet would be more hassle free. A small one doen't cost you too much, you can check out the usual shops or even Carrefour.

I am stealing somebody's words. For the 12000400295000th time. Yes, you will need at minimal a dry box or sealed tupperware and dry agent in it. The quickest way for a small storage is walk down to supermarket, buy a cheap seal tupperware (big enough to house your cam and flash, 1 big thirsty hippo). Don't buy tupper that is unnecessary big as it is just wasting space to for humidity to get in.

If you open infrequently, 1 thirsty can last for many months. Your start up cost is less than $10. And per year extra $10 or lesser.

There is a thread in this section of how to keep the camera body clean.

Dry Cabinet definitely.. Put our mind at ease and save any hassle for the need to keep track of the silicon gels.

If budget is not a problem, you should invest in a dry cab. If you can afford an A700, I'm guessing you can afford at least a basic dri cabinet. Dun flame me if I'm wrong.

Yes, you need a dry cabinet or dry box because relative humidity in Singapore is very
high (>80%).

Last edited:
damn you guys are quick and helpful! wicked. :)

will search for a dry cabinet then.

thanks!

Just get a dry cabinet.Cheapest is the 30L one.Try not to buy from camera shops as you need to carry home most of the time.
bargaincity.com.sg is pretty good with little fuss.COD with free delivery.

get a dry cabinet and it will save you loads of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.