Newbie Quest for New Hobby (Key Requirements, Items)

acertey

Jul 13, 2011
Hi guys sorry for posting this newbie post,

Recently i started to read about DSLRs due to several magic it can do on photos compared to a normal camera.

Well i was going about doing my budget planning in getting a camera, so do bear with me on this.

Plans - Nikon D7000 with Kit Lens(AF-S DX 18-105 VR)/ Cannon 60D with Lens Kit, Nikon now comes free with a 18mm-50mm lens. Think probably offer has expired.

I managed to view 1 of the videos to beginner DSLR and things should be getting to kick off:

List of Items
  1. Camera Body + Lens
  2. Dry Cabinet - Usually about 5yrs warranty, not sure about market value(What does it take to hold like say 5 lens, and 2 camera body? Something which not required frequent monitoring)
  3. 1 X Polarized Filter, 1 X UV Filter for each lens(Prices are probably quite scary? Is there any best buy recommendation, or what do you use to balance the $ Vs quality)
  4. Cleaning Kit(I am not sure if the one which was provided during buying of camera is good enough, price estimate would be good.)
  5. Camera Upstrap(Is the one provided by Nikon good enough or it is highly recommended to get 1? Seems that upstrap easily 50+, i heard most using Op Tech or something like this)
  6. Camera Bag(So far i am looking at Lowepro Stealth reporter not sure which model yet. Should be can hold 1 body with lens, and another 2 lens with charger + camera flash and water bottle);
  7. Tripod(Although it mentioned Gitto some carbon fibre type, but i was told in the video it was the only item which never gets changed)
  8. LCD Screen Protector(I think it's probably a must have...)
  9. Camera Flash(Not recommended from Video, but it seems that many are buying it. It probably beats the one which is in built)

Lens Interest
Start off with the basic Kit 18-105mm
Long Term will be 50mm f1.8,
then 18-200mm, (Should be one of the general lens which will be frequently used)
then 70-300mm(It's what the video says for the above 3 lens, is it considered complete? Or for beginner just 1 & 2?)

I still dun know if i will turn this hobby, but i would say that initial planning for investment sure is hefty. For basic accessories, it works out to be about close to 400 estimation. Is this the usual prices you guys get to kick start?

I guess that club snap is the best place to gather such information. Many thanks for your kind patience to guide a person wanting to try out.

Last edited:
I think before you get too far ahead, what is this "magic" you heard that DSLR can do where P&S can't? Because depending on the answer, you may not even need a DSLR...

Hi guys sorry for posting this newbie post,

Recently i started to read about DSLRs due to several magic it can do on photos compared to a normal camera.

Well i was going about doing my budget planning in getting a camera, so do bear with me on this.

Plans - Nikon D7000 with Kit Lens(AF-S DX 18-105 VR)/ Cannon 60D with Lens Kit, Nikon now comes free with a 18mm-50mm lens. Think probably offer has expired.

I managed to view 1 of the videos to beginner DSLR and things should be getting to kick off:

List of Items
  1. Camera Body + Lens
  2. Dry Cabinet - Usually about 5yrs warranty, not sure about market value(What does it take to hold like say 5 lens, and 2 camera body? Something which not required frequent monitoring)
  3. 1 X Polarized Filter, 1 X UV Filter for each lens(Prices are probably quite scary? Is there any best buy recommendation, or what do you use to balance the $ Vs quality)
  4. Cleaning Kit(I am not sure if the one which was provided during buying of camera is good enough, price estimate would be good.)
  5. Camera Upstrap(Is the one provided by Nikon good enough or it is highly recommended to get 1? Seems that upstrap easily 50+, i heard most using Op Tech or something like this)
  6. Camera Bag(So far i am looking at Lowepro Stealth reporter not sure which model yet. Should be can hold 1 body with lens, and another 2 lens with charger + camera flash and water bottle);
  7. Tripod(Although it mentioned Gitto some carbon fibre type, but i was told in the video it was the only item which never gets changed)
  8. LCD Screen Protector(I think it's probably a must have...)
  9. Camera Flash(Not recommended from Video, but it seems that many are buying it. It probably beats the one which is in built)

Lens Interest
then 18-200mm, (Should be one of the general lens which will be frequently used)
then 70-300mm(It's what the video says for the above 3 lens, is it considered complete? Or for beginner just 1 & 2?)

I still dun know if i will turn this hobby, but i would say that initial planning for investment sure is hefty. For basic accessories, it works out to be about close to 400 estimation. Is this the usual prices you guys get to kick start?

I guess that club snap is the best place to gather such information. Many thanks for your kind patience to guide a person wanting to try out.

Hi maybe you can suggest a budget for the camera so we know how to go around recommending the items? I noticed that you placed $400 as a budget for basic accessories but what do you consider basic accessories? If its the items that you put down the $400 is not a realistic budget as the Gitzo carbon fiber tripod you mentioned already busted the budget, they cost an upwards of $800 excluding a ballhead and you still wish to get a flash and other items

sorry for not being very clear about it. I actually tried a DSLR D90, and a cannon 40d or something like that. I was amazed at the very fast processing speed. As in speed of shutter, and capability to take the next photo with crispy images.

Actually i dun really have a fixed budget in mind. The items i listed are the ones which the video suggested probably at different stages of the hobbies.

I was actually thinking buy acccessories 1st, then buy the camera and body. It could be a wrong move... Probably saved up a lump sum of 2k then buy all at 1 shot...

Probably for tripod i'll make use of the one which was given as a free gift until i saved up enough for a 2nd hand one.

I think before you get too far ahead, what is this "magic" you heard that DSLR can do where P&S can't? Because depending on the answer, you may not even need a DSLR...

I think TS is mistaken too.

This "magic" that TS spoke of is done by the person behind the camera, not the DSLR.
If the person can do "magic" behind a DSLR, good chance he can do the same with a normal camera so long as not due to camera limitation, but not vice versa.

But on the other hand, DSLR forces the user to learn about photography better than a normal camera, since the learning curve is fairly steep.

Seems like you are buying too far ahead. If you ask me, I would suggest getting a hood for your lens (if there isn't one), a bag (optional) and a cleaning kit. All the rest can wait, even the dry cabinet. Go out, shoot more and then purchase the stuff you find lacking.

I would pretty much think it's a camera. Feel of a DSLR vs my Cannon IXUS is totally different. I can't explain why, how but it's really different.

I think TS is mistaken too.

This "magic" that TS spoke of is done by the person behind the camera, not the DSLR.
If the person can do "magic" behind a DSLR, good chance he can do the same with a normal camera so long as not due to camera limitation, but not vice versa.

But on the other hand, DSLR forces the user to learn about photography better than a normal camera, since the learning curve is fairly steep.

Seems like you are buying too far ahead. If you ask me, I would suggest getting a hood for your lens (if there isn't one), a bag (optional) and a cleaning kit. All the rest can wait, even the dry cabinet. Go out, shoot more and then purchase the stuff you find lacking.

Is that really the things i need to kick start this hobby? That would surely be great. That would probably mean that my starting costs are low.

Actually the reason for a dry cabinet is that i read too many horror stories in CS. I wouldn't want to be one of the writers. :D

And things like Flash/Polarized Filter/Tripod/various lens/etc, if you don't know why you buy them, chances are you won't use or need them.

Learn your equipment limitations before you buy other equipment/accessories.

sorry for not being very clear about it. I actually tried a DSLR D90, and a cannon 40d or something like that. I was amazed at the very fast processing speed. As in speed of shutter, and capability to take the next photo with crispy images.

Actually i dun really have a fixed budget in mind. The items i listed are the ones which the video suggested probably at different stages of the hobbies.

I was actually thinking buy acccessories 1st, then buy the camera and body. It could be a wrong move... Probably saved up a lump sum of 2k then buy all at 1 shot...

Probably for tripod i'll make use of the one which was given as a free gift until i saved up enough for a 2nd hand one.

Hmmm, I'm still not sure if DSLR is the right answer for you. As currently, there are also many P&S (or prosumer) cameras like the S95 or G12 (not limited to these) that are fairly powerful. These prosumer cameras normally comes with the function to allow control of shutter speed/iso and aperture similar to DSLR.

Also, the crispy images can be also achieved by changing the picture styles (available in both P&S and DSLR) normally by pushing the saturation, contrast and sharpness. And/Or in Post Processing by playing with the curves and other sliders.

Not trying to deny you from getting a DSLR, but just stating that a Prosumer camera is probably what just fits. No harm dropping by the shops and try out the S95 or G12 too.

Is that really the things i need to kick start this hobby? That would surely be great. That would probably mean that my starting costs are low.

Actually the reason for a dry cabinet is that i read too many horror stories in CS. I wouldn't want to be one of the writers. :D

You may have yet to see the real cost....the real cost comes normally AFTER you get a DSLR. Main reason being the BBB virus spreading.

btw, some of the horror stories of BBB can also be found in CS.. you will not want to become one of them too..

I would pretty much think it's a camera. Feel of a DSLR vs my Cannon IXUS is totally different. I can't explain why, how but it's really different.

huh? based on feel?
you will regret the money you spent on it in the future if you think the difference is based on feel.

Dry cabinet is a must if you want to keep your DSLR in Singapore.

Things like Polarized Filter, to some it is a must, some never used it at all.
If you don't know what it does, why would you use it?

acertey said:

It's partly the camera, mostly the photographer. Every camera has it's limits, a dslr's limits are higher than that of a p&s but a pro using a p&s can maximize a p&s's limits and outperform a dslr user who is not using it to it's full potential.

Ts just get a camera within your budget and learn, no point worrying about the accessories as yet. Only when you find your current equipment lacking should you start researching on what accessories can help solve your issues. Or else you'll end up with lots of white elephants.

Last edited:
TS i think, you are thinking too much.. i am a newbie as well, started this hobby abt a year back,
start with a canon 450d, 18-55 lens , no dry cab,no filter, no bag, (using the free canon bag)
start slowly, think no point getting all the accessories 1st than get the cam.. abit funny that way..
get the cam 1st and start shooting.. until you know what yr kit lens cant get you to than it time to upgrade...

my 2cent

Actually what you need to start this hobby is just a camera and a lens. What you need in the future you will find out for yourself as you progress.

if dont wish to get dry cabinet, you can get a dry box too, which is much cheaper than dry cabinet

I would advice TS to get the DSLR (read our various posts and stickies on how to select a DSLR) and the basic kit lens. Then go out to shoot (maybe join an outing or two), if he/she find that he/she loved photography, then think of buying the accessories and maybe upgrade the lens (if the basic lens was limiting himself or herself). Don't buy accessories first before the camera body and lens.

Thanks for the tips and pointers.

I won't really call it feel. The shots per second is one of the thing i am looking out for. Additionally the ability to take the photo shooting to the next level.

So actually what's the reason you guys get DSLR? Probably it may help me in decision making... :bsmilie:

Why limit yourself to those 2? You can get much more bang for the buck by looking elsewhere. Read our "How to select a DSLR" sticky.

[*]Camera Body + Lens

- Pick the right one for you. Make sure you understand the differences in the DSLR brands out there. Some offer built-in antishake, fast autofocus in liveview and video, etc, which a Canon 60D and a Nikon D90 cannot.

[*]Dry Cabinet - Usually about 5yrs warranty, not sure about market value(What does it take to hold like say 5 lens, and 2 camera body? Something which not required frequent monitoring)

- This is about 100-150.

[*]1 X Polarized Filter, 1 X UV Filter for each lens(Prices are probably quite scary? Is there any best buy recommendation, or what do you use to balance the $ Vs quality)

- Why on earth do you think you need these? Maybe a UV filter for protection, but only get a CPL filter if you know you need it, and only the thread diameter of the lens(es) you will actually use it on.

[*]Cleaning Kit(I am not sure if the one which was provided during buying of camera is good enough, price estimate would be good.)

- usually about 10-20 bucks...

[*]Camera Upstrap(Is the one provided by Nikon good enough or it is highly recommended to get 1? Seems that upstrap easily 50+, i heard most using Op Tech or something like this)

- Upstrap? Do you mean a shoulder strap? The included one is good enough.

[*]Camera Flash(Not recommended from Video, but it seems that many are buying it. It probably beats the one which is in built)

- Only if you need it...

Lens Interest

Why put the 50 1.8 for "long term"? Do you even know what it's used for?

If you already have the 18-105, why go for a 18-200? Why buy a 70-300 unless you are actually going to use the long focal length?

Thanks for the tips and pointers.

I won't really call it feel. The shots per second is one of the thing i am looking out for. Additionally the ability to take the photo shooting to the next level.

So actually what's the reason you guys get DSLR? Probably it may help me in decision making... :bsmilie:

If shots per second are important to you, you should be looking at a Sony A55.