Newbie qns

Status
Not open for further replies.

boon8623

Jul 20, 2008
I just bought a Canon Powershot S5 IS.

How is this camera? I bought it as it seems better than the Fujifilm finepix S8000

This is my first time owning a Semi Pro Camera. Still trying to figure out the many functions of this camera.

I tried taking a night landscape shot and discovered that there is a lot of noise in the photo. how to correct that?

and when i take super close up macro shot, i discovered that it does not show up as sharp. is it i hold my lens too close to the object?

where to buy camera case & lens cleaner?

the s5 is is an able camera. do not worry so much about your tools - worry about what you can achieve with them. if you take a look at some of the the photos that people have taken with this camera and its predecessor (canon s3 is) some of them are fantastic. what is important is that you gain some technical knowledge - so that you can have the necessary tools to execute the photographic visions you have, etc.. and also understand the composition theories that are out there, as well as learn actively to come up with ideas of your own.

for night landscape shot, a tripod and long exposures are required. if you do not use that, and try to take a short exposure, what will happen is that the camera will simply bump up the iso setting and you will end up with just a noisy picture. if none of this makes sense, go grab a basic photography book from the national library now. any of them will get you started easily.

for good photographic shops, google for cathay photo, alan photo, ms colour, orient photo, john 3:16, lords. or do a search here in clubsnap. note - do your homework before making purchases. caveat emptor.

last but not least, learn how to be independent - this will allow you to learn faster, and also (obviously) rely less on throwing your questions randomly online. that is fine and dandy, but it is not the most efficient way to get the answers you want, and it is not the most effective way to get what you want out of your camera.

cheers and good luck!

To make things simple, just use iso 100 and a tripod(a must) for night photography.Try using super macro instead of macro, there are 3 reasons behind the not so sharp pic.
1st) Slow shutter speed, due to environment, or u are too close to the subject, thus insufficient light.
2nd) U went beyond the 5cm range for macro, or 1cm range for super macro.
3rd) U zoomed in.

You should be able to get your cam case and cleaner at any cam outlet.

the s5 is is an able camera. do not worry so much about your tools - worry about what you can achieve with them. if you take a look at some of the the photos that people have taken with this camera and its predecessor (canon s3 is) some of them are fantastic. what is important is that you gain some technical knowledge - so that you can have the necessary tools to execute the photographic visions you have, etc.. and also understand the composition theories that are out there, as well as learn actively to come up with ideas of your own.

for night landscape shot, a tripod and long exposures are required. if you do not use that, and try to take a short exposure, what will happen is that the camera will simply bump up the iso setting and you will end up with just a noisy picture. if none of this makes sense, go grab a basic photography book from the national library now. any of them will get you started easily.

for good photographic shops, google for cathay photo, alan photo, ms colour, orient photo, john 3:16, lords. or do a search here in clubsnap. note - do your homework before making purchases. caveat emptor.

last but not least, learn how to be independent - this will allow you to learn faster, and also (obviously) rely less on throwing your questions randomly online. that is fine and dandy, but it is not the most efficient way to get the answers you want, and it is not the most effective way to get what you want out of your camera.

cheers and good luck!

ok. thanks alot! i still have lots to learn. will pass by the library or bookstore to grab a photography book these few days.

i am really excited to explore my S5 in days to come.

IMO, try not to play with ISO for non-dSLR. The noise generated from the tiny sensor is simply too significant over ISO 200/400 and may be unusable.
I found that ISO 3200 on a dSLR has still less noticable noise then a ISO >400 for compact camera.

That said, use a tripod :D

Obviously you've been using P mode or auto mode. Cam will set the ISO to the max. Why don't u use Manual or Aperature set to F8 above. And Macro you're too close, just get a macro converter/lens, norm lens is no way to shoot any decent macro.

Hey, I also own a S5 which I bought almost 1 year back. As a newbie, I read a lot of books about photography and picked up the basics through reading. I still have a lot to learn and believe the only way to know your equipment is to practice practice and more practice with functions like apperture, shutter speed etc then you will be amazed what it can do. I can't give you much advice but one thing I can say looking back at my past photos there are definitely better (by my newbie standard) today than when the camera first got into my hands...ha ha ha. My 2 cents worth but hope this gives you some encouragement.

Hey, I also own a S5 which I bought almost 1 year back. As a newbie, I read a lot of books about photography and picked up the basics through reading. I still have a lot to learn and believe the only way to know your equipment is to practice practice and more practice with functions like apperture, shutter speed etc then you will be amazed what it can do. I can't give you much advice but one thing I can say looking back at my past photos there are definitely better (by my newbie standard) today than when the camera first got into my hands...ha ha ha. My 2 cents worth but hope this gives you some encouragement.

thanks bro. i am beginning to get more and more into it. will go out to get books tml man. hehe

You are welcome! Except I am not a bro...but sis! Ha ha ha

You are welcome! Except I am not a bro...but sis! Ha ha ha

sorry, actually i noticed my mistake when i view ur blog that day i read ur reply. but i had to off com and move already, so did not have the chance to change it. so sorry:embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.