Newbie Qn: Is It Possible With This Budget ?


Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert

Guest
I am looking for a digital camera to complement my existing Canon EOS 500.

I have this usual problem of snapping a picture and not being able to develop it until I complete all 24 or 36 shots (don't want to waste), so I figured this would be a good time to get a digital camera.

With a budget of about $600, I've been surfing and reading the various posts in HWZ and comparing specs etc until it gets very confusing, so I hope all you experts here can recommend.

Basically, I want something simple that even the wife can use, point-n-shoot (like the EOS).

Zoom: 6X Preferred, but can live with 3X
Video: Not necessary
Pixels: 2.1 MegaPixels
Medium: *please explain which is more popular/convenient/cheaper - CF or SM*
Accessories: Can I put a UV filter or external flash etc.

Also, like most still cameras, can I get the shots to have the date imprinted when I print on an Epson Stylus Photo printer?

So you see, a total digicam newbie.

Any recommendations?

Thanks + regards

(** no flames please **)
 

R

Robert

Guest
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I did consider the FinePix 2800, but Alan Photo quoted me $680 yesterday, so it's above the $600 limit (also have wife-acceptance-factor-cum-limit).

They quoted the A20 at $580 and 2600 at $515 (or thereabouts).

Both are 3x zoom.

But for comparison sake and keeping resolution to the same, which (CF or SM) can hold more shots for 128MB?

Thanks

Originally posted by Keito
Hm, maybe you can take a look at fuji finepix 2800. It's a point and shoot cam, with 6x zoom, 2.1mp, uses sm. Bad side will be limited performance in night shots, and not able to add any other accessories on the body itself.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix2800-review/index.html
 

weeguy

New Member
Jan 19, 2002
197
0
0
Jurong, S'pore
www.flickr.com
Originally posted by Robert
Hi

But for comparison sake and keeping resolution to the same, which (CF or SM) can hold more shots for 128MB?

not too sure whether there's a diff (i mean, 128mb means 128mb rite?) fer tt...

but most cameras using SM is compatible only up to 128mb and not fer larger capacities cos the device controller is built into the camera.... :cry:

and even though CF may be thicker than SM, it has a built in device controller so tt means cameras using CF can support fer larger capacity CF cards in the future... :cool:
 

Kei

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
2,080
0
36
Originally posted by Robert
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

But for comparison sake and keeping resolution to the same, which (CF or SM) can hold more shots for 128MB?

Thanks
It's roughly the same but the storage capacities available for cf is much higher then sm(largest card is 128mb only, of cos can buy many 128mb card). Price wise they are similiar.
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,937
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Originally posted by Robert

But for comparison sake and keeping resolution to the same, which (CF or SM) can hold more shots for 128MB?
Images are basically files which take up the same amount of space whether they're on a CF or SM. Different cameras would apply different amounts of compression and result in different file sizes.
 

YSLee

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,326
1
38
Visit site
I guess the Fuji 2600 would probably be better for your budget.
 

kng

New Member
Mar 19, 2003
550
0
0
Visit site
Hi Robert, why don't you also consider the Canon A70? Its 3mp, 3x zoom and uses Cf cards which are prob the cheapest storage format in the market. The A70 also comes with full manual controls (aperture and shutter priority), manual focus mode, and you can add on polarisers and filters, teleconverters, etc etc. It appears that you can get it for about S$520. Add another $60 for 128m CF card and $22 for GP rechargeable batteries & charger and it comes to about $600. :)
 

lennon

New Member
Mar 26, 2003
333
0
0
Visit site
Originally posted by kng
Hi Robert, why don't you also consider the Canon A70? Its 3mp, 3x zoom and uses Cf cards which are prob the cheapest storage format in the market. The A70 also comes with full manual controls (aperture and shutter priority), manual focus mode, and you can add on polarisers and filters, teleconverters, etc etc. It appears that you can get it for about S$520. Add another $60 for 128m CF card and $22 for GP rechargeable batteries & charger and it comes to about $600. :)
I agree to this comment :)

Or you may want to consider getting a higher model + accessories, 2nd hand at the "buy and sell" :light:
 

Tweek

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,027
0
0
41
East
www.weekai.com
eh guys, the original question was posted more than one year ago. Robert here has probably gotten his cam and shot many frames already.
 

imaginary_number

Senior Member
Feb 3, 2002
1,741
0
36
Singapore
Originally posted by Tweek
eh guys, the original question was posted more than one year ago. Robert here has probably gotten his cam and shot many frames already.
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I guess few ppl actually looked at the dates... :)
 

lennon

New Member
Mar 26, 2003
333
0
0
Visit site
Originally posted by imaginary_number
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I guess few ppl actually looked at the dates... :)
:confused:!!!
 

Status
Not open for further replies.