[Newbie Qn] Does a camera sensor degrade over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salonpas

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Please see b/m photo. My old S3 IS does not seem to be able to capture nice photos anymore. I think it is pretty obvious that the left portion of the pic is blurry. Almost all pics i took recently have this blurry portion on the left side. My lens are clean on the external.

Anybody able to answer my query?

akvnmu.jpg

Please see b/m photo. My old S3 IS does not seem to be able to capture nice photos anymore. I think it is pretty obvious that the left portion of the pic is blurry. Almost all pics i took recently have this blurry portion on the left side. My lens are clean on the external.

Anybody able to answer my query?

Ok i just found out the possible cause. It's due to the lens not being aligned over-time.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/28317682

akvnmu.jpg

Last edited:
The simple answer is 'YES' camera sensors will degrade over time but the mechanical components (like the shutter mechanism) will degrade far more quickly than a non-moving component like the sensor. I would eliminate all other possibilities before concluding that the sensor is at fault.

Have you had your sensor cleaned lately? Dust or some other alien artifacts could be causing the blurriness on the left side of your photos. Taking your camera to CSC for a $25 cleaning may solve your issue.

The simple answer is 'YES' camera sensors will degrade over time but the mechanical components (like the shutter mechanism) will degrade far more quickly than a non-moving component like the sensor. I would eliminate all other possibilities before concluding that the sensor is at fault.

Have you had your sensor cleaned lately? Dust or some other alien artifacts could be causing the blurriness on the left side of your photos. Taking your camera to CSC for a $25 cleaning may solve your issue.
Thank you for the reply.

I will heed your advice and prolly make a trip to CSC very soon. If the quotation is reasonable etc, i will go with it.

Just took some shots and this looks just as bad.

2zq9zib.jpg

Thank you for the reply.

I will heed your advice and prolly make a trip to CSC very soon. If the quotation is reasonable etc, i will go with it.

Just took some shots and this looks just as bad.

Be sure to mention the issue to the counter staff as the reason you're bringing the camera to CSC for cleaning. Having a photo in hand to 'show the evidence' will also be helpful. If the cleaning does not 'clear up' the problem, ask the technician to provide a quote for repair.

Be sure to mention the issue to the counter staff as the reason you're bringing the camera to CSC for cleaning. Having a photo in hand to 'show the evidence' will also be helpful. If the cleaning does not 'clear up' the problem, ask the technician to provide a quote for repair.
Yah. I edited my first post. Seems like lens alignment issue.

Just a few more thoughts....

Another reason for this issue may be the result of a de-centred lens which commonly causes blurriness on one side of the lens.

An option to CSC is to contact one of our very own ClubSnappers called "Fatigue". He has lot's of experience in repairing cameras, is very reliable and his charges are lower than CSC.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Might be a lens misalignment or fungus on the internal lens elements/sensor. Looks more like lens misalignment.

As for the sensor degrading over time, this has been asked and discussed about 20 times already. Searching helps. :)

Just a few more thoughts....

Another reason for this issue may be the result of a de-centred lens which commonly causes blurriness on one side of the lens.

An option to CSC is to contact one of our very own ClubSnappers called "Fatigue". He has lot's of experience in repairing cameras, is very reliable and his charges are lower than CSC.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Thank you shifu, you have been nothing short of very, very helpful.

I will find "Fatigue" before heading to CSC.

Lens do not really get de-centered over time, especially so badly decentered. Was the camera dropped, or did the lens sustained a heavy knock?

Repair cost for an old camera may not be justified. Why not take the opportunity and consider a replacement or "upgrade" to a newer camera?

Might be a lens misalignment or fungus on the internal lens elements/sensor. Looks more like lens misalignment.

As for the sensor degrading over time, this has been asked and discussed about 20 times already. Searching helps. :)
Hi Lao Jiao forummer,

Sorry la, i've only been here just more than 10 years and with not many posts like you. Pardon my inexperience. Give chance ok? I know you lao jiao with 18, 798 postings.

Lens do not really get de-centered over time, especially so badly decentered. Was the camera dropped, or did the lens sustained a heavy knock?
Not that i can remember dropping it. Was working fine previously.

Repair cost for an old camera may not be justified. Why not take the opportunity and consider a replacement or "upgrade" to a newer camera?
I am considering the 255HS for now. Let me give it further thought.

I am considering the 255HS for now. Let me give it further thought.

Recommend u try out sony rx100 mk ii or if u can look for a used rx100 (1st version) from bns.

XXX XXXX forummer became so defensive. Aiyoh. Nvr give chance one.

Vulgarities are not tolerated in this forum.

Infraction served. and offending posts deleted.

Last edited:
A strong reminder to everyone to stay civil. And remember this is posted in Newbies Corner and remember what that means... If you forgot you can read it again here:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1091136

And to TS, if you are not happy with some of the posts, you can report them. But resorting to vulgarities is not acceptable. As for your camera problem, bring it to the service center or 3rd party repair shop to get it looked at. If worth it to repair, then repair. If not worth it, junk it and buy a new cam. Closing this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.