Newbie Problem w Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightStalker

Jun 7, 2006
NTU
stanchai.multiply.com
Hi guys, on sunday i was helping out with the Street Festive photo shoots.. After i put on some wide angle lens some kids came over and touch the lenses. Wah so frustrated ;( ;( I saw their prints on the lens.. so i decided to take it off and go home and clean.. But after cleaning, some traces of the prints are still on the lens.. Do anyone know how to remove the prints? i've used liquid cleaners from the cleaning kits, used lint free paper, but still some traces of the "oil" is still there.. HELP MEEEEEEE :angry:

LightStalker said:
Hi guys, on sunday i was helping out with the Street Festive photo shoots.. After i put on some wide angle lens some kids came over and touch the lenses. Wah so frustrated ;( ;( I saw their prints on the lens.. so i decided to take it off and go home and clean.. But after cleaning, some traces of the prints are still on the lens.. Do anyone know how to remove the prints? i've used liquid cleaners from the cleaning kits, used lint free paper, but still some traces of the "oil" is still there.. HELP MEEEEEEE :angry:
Can't help you with that problem. Buy B+W filter to solve your problem in the future.

Regards,
Arto.

Edwin Francis said:
I haven't seen a fingerprint stain able to resist a microfibre cleaning cloth :)
Try that on Hoya HMC filter :( .

Regards,
Arto.

u gotta hv a filter in front of all your lenses lah. this time is just finger prints, what happens if some crazy kid knock your lens? the front element might be scratch or crack... :(

Get a proper lens cleaner... those "lens detergents" which come in those freebie cleaning kits that you get with yr camera or at some photo labs are good for dust but won't work for tough oil-based stains.

Try something like Eclipse... ultra-refined methanol... works well on oil based stains.

In future, clean off the finger prints immediately. If you allow it to remain on the glass, it can react and damage the coating on the front element. Even if you can't clean it thoroughly, getting most of it off is better than just allowing the print to sit there.

Next, be aware of your surroundings. How did you let a kid come so close to touch your stuff? Move away, avoid, worse case step on the guy's toes if you can't dodge.

Child activists will say I'm evil.... I say IF PARENTS CANNOT TEACH THEIR KIDS HOW TO BEHAVE, I WILL. That's the prob. with a lot of parents these days... too few teach their kids how to behave...kids run loose everywhere and damage stuff/irritate people... if you don't have the time, don't procreate. Don't raise rascals that are a nuisance to society.

The kid? It was crowded, and the parent was holding his kid. I dint know he was that close to me until i saw the finger. His kid was at his back.. When i saw the finger through my EVF i was shock.. But too late.. Can anyone recommend a good filter? Thks

oh and btw, where can a get stuff at resonable prices, the prices from shop to shop varies sOOOOOO much.. even if it is the same item.. :dunno:

i placed my camera on top of my refrigerator. yet my cousin managed to reach it and even managed to remove the uv filter. fingerprints all over. i almost kill him.

sylvia said:
i placed my camera on top of my refrigerator. yet my cousin managed to reach it and even managed to remove the uv filter. fingerprints all over. i almost kill him.
There is special cabinet to keep photography equipment, which is called DryCab, and you can lock it. Don't tell me your cousin know how to use TNT to open bank cash :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.

LightStalker said:
The kid? It was crowded, and the parent was holding his kid. I dint know he was that close to me until i saw the finger. His kid was at his back.. When i saw the finger through my EVF i was shock.. But too late.. Can anyone recommend a good filter? Thks

There are a lot of threads discussing UV filters FYI... from cheapo to ex. brands, merits of each type.

If you're too lazy/no time to search just get a Hoya HMC UV from MS Color. :)
Quick and fast recommendation.

haha.. ok.. thks solarii, you'v ebeen very helpful.. but i think i'll search for more threads before deciding to buy.. its a long term investment after all..

Artosoft said:
Try that on Hoya HMC filter :( .

Regards,
Arto.

i've heard that Hoya filters are hard to clean. so far, im quite lucky i dun have to clean any fingerprints yet :)

but yeah, on other lens, i have used microfibre cloth and manage to get the prints off :)

I use Hoya HMC on most of my lenses, and they can be quite a pain to clean sometimes.... but most of the time, a microfibre cloth will do the trick.;)

Lenspen should remove the stain followed by micro cloth to finnish it up.

So far I found kodak lens fluid + lens tissue cleans all prints, no matter how oily...

MS Colour filters are reasonably priced...

and my personal mantra: B+W MRC for your magic glasses, Hoya HMC for everything else (well, except that nasty kit lens which optical quality you don't really want to degrade any further by putting a piece of glass in front...)

Status
Not open for further replies.