Not open for further replies.

icYchill

Dec 7, 2004
Jurong
Chalet_Pic1.jpg

Chalet_Pic2.JPG

Chalet_Pic3.JPG

Chalet_Pic.JPG

did u shoot the photos on a rainy day or evening?
Very dark and noisy photos.. yuck.
Would it be better if u set EV to higher?

to all the experts out there, what does it mean when some one says the photos is under exposed ?

too dark ?

daylight said:
to all the experts out there, what does it mean when some one says the photos is under exposed ?

too dark ?

correct.
(but i'm not expert)

Jason,

you purposely left your second picture on the sides? Looks like need rotating... :)

well ya....i purposely took it that way.....
thanks to all de coments tho, now that i look at it, it does look pretty under exposed. im a newbie....so whats ev? and what does noisy mean? :embrass:

icYchill said:
well ya....i purposely took it that way.....
thanks to all de coments tho, now that i look at it, it does look pretty under exposed. im a newbie....so whats ev? and what does noisy mean? :embrass:
Noisy. Digital equivalent to grainy.
Were these taken in Pasir Ris Park?

Try to have a theme or objective before going out to shoot. Then try to get the best images to suit that theme. It will force you to think.

icic...thanks! yup they were at pasir ris park. i was cycling with some friends until i reached the end and found an abandoned beach which was rather filthy so decided to take the first foto...then on my way back i saw the rest and took them as well...i tried to edit the pictures...but i know they still look grainy
Chaletedited.jpg

Chaletedited1.jpg

Chaletedited2.JPG

Chaletedited3.JPG
:D

when you can see the speckles in a picture, it's noisy (digital) or grainy (film).

hmm.. shoot more, shoot more.

Woah there jason. I'd advise against editing. They look a lot worst now, seriously.

A better suggestion: Go back out and take more pictures instead. You won't learn photography thru PS skills. You got to be physically there to think and shoot.

:cheers:

icYchill said:
icic...thanks! yup they were at pasir ris park. i was cycling with some friends until i reached the end and found an abandoned beach which was rather filthy so decided to take the first foto...then on my way back i saw the rest and took them as well...i tried to edit the pictures...but i know they still look grainy
:D

Never mind the grain.
Your first photo actually grabbed my attention and is the most interesting of the lot (the original unprocessed one). If you had presented 4 pics with the same kind of feel you could've given a message.

Why don't you try this. Go back to Pasir Ris park at sunrise. Shoot the sunrise while you're there.
Then go shoot the various playground equipment: the merry-go-round, the swing, the bridge. That will be your theme. Shoot using unusual angles (very low, high, under the bridge, etc) use the bars or trees as frames. Shoot shadows of leaves falling on them. I know it's an interesting place. There shouldn't be much people so take all the time you want.

Btw, don't use flash. Use available light.

;) thanks! i was itching to go back there to take more photos since the last vist was rather short... i was wanting to do something about the "dirty" side of pasir ris the next time i go there...lol. And i'll try something like what you said too =)

i think the pics need to be rotated a little.. the horizon seems slanted

Noise aside, you have to watch your horizon when you take landscape shots. Your horizon is slanted and not parallel to the edges of the pictures.

To correct this, use a tripod or edit in Photoshop.

icic....next time i'll bring one when i go back there ;) But abt the noise, how do i reduce it?

overall not bad. only the last 2 need to work on it

You are getting there lah...heh..just keep practicing. Personally I find the park shot (side way) and the dirty beach shot to be interesting but I feel if it was in black and white and abit more shallow depth of field to blurr the ships in the background it will look less messy and place more emphasic on the theme of pollution at the beach and also wthout colours the scene will not look so busy and cluttered.

The beach scene is too muted..bad day to shoot the beach. This will get better once you are able to be at the beach on a day where the sun is out, little cloubs in the sky. Fit a polariser filter to help cut down on the shimmering glare of the sun ray on the water and you should have a much better shot.

While on the subject of a filter for the lens. I also notice slightly darken corners. I am certain you are shooting this pictures...at it's widest focal length on your zoom lens. Plus you have a filter attached to your lens. Maybe a UV filter? The problem with ultra wide zoo lens especially. with angle of view is so wide that having a normal filter on the front of the lens is enough to cause this effect. 3 solutions might help; pull back on the wide angle just a bit or take off the filter for those wide shots OR a more costly solution would be to invest in those very thin filters. Personally I never shoot a beach scene without a polariser...I think it helps the colour and glares alot.

Also, if you are not familiar with photoshop program (initially you should not reply on it too much to learnt photograpy-bad habit) to help you do some adjutments to your picture to enhance them more ( yr pictures here seem abit under exposed & muted) I would suggest if you find a scene that is very nice to shoot, invest abit more time in the shooting by bracketing your shots. Do a series of shot of the same scene with difference setting. That mean you shot one base on the normal auto exposure mode and then you shot another two with one being over expose by 1/2 stop and the other 1/2 shot under expose. This is also a good practice to teach you how to read the brigtness of a scene. Do this enough times, you will be so good are reading ligthing that you don;t need to bracket your shots.

icic...thanks for that....but im using a digicam....and im like only 14 so cant afford much >_< but what's bracketing? ermm and so how do i remove the grain.... haha yep and i'll choose a better day to shoot the beach =) So if im using a digicam...would making the dof more shallow (im guessing that making it shallow means taking less of the sky...) to make the background blur work? thanks anyway! :D
btw would it look something like this?

ps: (im going to penang tmr! hope to come back and bring a tripod to pasir ris and take more pictures ;) maybe that dirty beach again? )
Chalet.jpg

icYchill said:
icic...thanks for that....but im using a digicam....and im like only 14 so cant afford much >_< but what's bracketing? ermm and so how do i remove the grain.... haha yep and i'll choose a better day to shoot the beach =) So if im using a digicam...would making the dof more shallow (im guessing that making it shallow means taking less of the sky...) to make the background blur work? thanks anyway! :D

ps: (im going to penang tmr! hope to come back and bring a tripod to pasir ris and take more pictures ;) maybe that dirty beach again? )

Hi icYchill,
Unfortunately I didn't get to see your photo's (removed :dunno: ).
TRY TRY TRY ! you have the best people here to guide you (except me :bsmilie: ).
Time and instant results (digital cam) is on your side.
I look forward to your posts.
Don't feel hindered by being unable to afford much.
If you cant afford a tripod for instance, improvise; make a makeshift one from something around you.

If so, your posts may recieve remarks like, "a bit to over/under exposed etc"
but they wont be saying. " you should have used a tripod" as they have no idea you arn't using one.

Hope this makes sense or at least helpfull.

Have fun !

Status
Not open for further replies.