Newbie Photoshop imge size question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

scann

Nov 11, 2004
Hi..
Ok, I have this image size at around 750kbs. After editing (I wanted to put borders on it..), I had to save it as a jepg file. However, I do not know which quality should I set to retain the quality that I had before. Should I set the quality setting so that it is around the same image size(750kbs)? Is that how I should gauge ? Thanks! :)

:think:
I always save mine at 12.. I mean.. any reason to save it at a lower quality?

but saving it at the highest setting will cause the image size to go up quite a bit... what quality setting should i put to achieve the same image quality before I edit it? Hope it is not confusing.. :)

Don't quote me but I think you will need to save it at the maximum quality to get back the same quality of the original. Any thing less and you'll be lowering it by a bit.

Anyone can confirm this?

The quality setting is for image compression. Just opening a photo and saving it back to jpeg WILL reduce the quality. Try this, choose an image with contrasty colours and open it. Then "save as" filename 12.jpg for 12 quality compression. then open the original image again and save as a lower quality compression, and so on , next open all your files and enlarge them to 100% and compair side by side. Or you can use image ready to see up to 4 different settings. Have fun. The size of the image does not change, just the size of the file.

For storeage alway 12. For web depend how quality you want, more quality equal longer loading time. For print 12 again. Jpeg is a lossly compression format. Mean each time you open do your changes and save, the orginal picture quality will lost some information due to compression program. The quality actual tell the computer how much can it compress the image, quality 12 compress very little thus bigger file. So format like Tiff is a bigger file format but it is a lostless format. Which mean it lost very little information through time but at a very large file.

Status
Not open for further replies.