newbie photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolflet

Nov 28, 2005
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum as I recently developed interest to go into photography.

I am intending to get my 1st DSLR and initially is looking at the Canon 50D (18-200mm).

But I am torn between the 50D/7D/Nikon D90.

Personally I am brand biased towards Canon but most of my friends are using the Nikon and advised me otherwise.

Can somebody tell me the difference between Nikon/Canon to help make me make up my mind?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Welcome to CS.

Do readup more, comments from your friens can only be as reference.
you got to know what you want. Best if you can go test the camera you've shortlisted. (either from friends or Camera shops)

all the 3 cameras you mentioned are very good.

50D 18-200mm is also quite a good buy.

actually if someone using canon will usually say canon good or other way round ...
1 way is for you to go try out the camera yourself and try the function etc ...
if u ask me the different between nikon and canon is that canon body is make from japan while nikon is from thailand :bsmilie: that the only different i know haha

Hello...welcome.

Since you prefer Canon then go for Canon lor. You are the one using the cam not your friends.

go n feel all the different camera makes tat u r interested in.

u gotta feel comfortable holding it

If your friend will lend you their nikon lenses and accessories... perhaps go for nikon... otherwise it will be up to you to decide.

Go read more on how nikon/canon does their in camera processing/control access/handling(dials,shortcuts). You should make your buy base on the differences. There is not much to compare in body for specifications, tons of review online regarding this clearcut one.

Try the viewfinder of cameras! Got different one!

Read up on common problems in canon/nikon system. Example, CA. Most important survey the prices fo add-on accessories and see what savings in the future!

I forgot to do last step while purchasing and now i am really hard down with budget for extending my accessories. Haiz, i just bought my camera a few day back i understand the pain of selecting one.

Fyi, what actually triggers me to buy is
1 - handling
2 - Viewfinder(important lehz)
3 - Camera processing(i lazy guy dont like do unwanted things)

As i say, i forgot to see the future prices in adding on accessories. So i never put price into consideration but it is important! Depend on your mode of photography.

Last edited:
I choose nikon due to the shortcut keys and user friendly function. That's my opinion

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum as I recently developed interest to go into photography.

I am intending to get my 1st DSLR and initially is looking at the Canon 50D (18-200mm).

Personally I am brand biased towards Canon but most of my friends are using the Nikon and advised me otherwise.

Can somebody tell me the difference between Nikon/Canon to help make me make up my mind?

Thanks in advance.

Choosing between Canon and Nikon (and other camera brands, for that matter) is very much a personal choice, much like choosing between Sharp and Sony LCD TVs, or Honda and Toyota sedans, or Mitsubishi or Daikin air-conditioners.... well, you get the idea.

Maybe instead of us telling you the differences between Canon and Nikon, why not you tell us why you shortlisted the 50D + 18-200 lens, so we have some idea WHY you chose the 50D (i.e. what your criteria are)?

difference between canon and nikon is that the spot metering features which is important to some user. Only canon 1d/1ds series have more autofocus points for spot metering instead of centre autofocus point for spot metering. if there's a need to use, you have to compose and re-compose your shots which end up the object you compose might not be sharp depends on how much you have moved away.

For nikon all their dslr have spot metering on all their focusing points be it centre or side.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Replying to Zerocool, I chose the 50D because it has a magnesium body, I feel that its weight might help stabilise my hands a little as my hands tends to waver when i use smaller lighter cameras. I'm more into nature and wildlife photography so I feel I need the faster speed of the Canon over the Nikon. 7D is also a consideration but buying that might drain all my budget and I might not be able to get accessories for some time.

Then again, I have a friend who is into bird photography and tells me that the D90 is a better camera in terms of IQ and ISO performance. Now I'm really confused.

Thanks in advance.

Of course I will choose 7D if I were u...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Replying to Zerocool, I chose the 50D because it has a magnesium body, I feel that its weight might help stabilise my hands a little as my hands tends to waver when i use smaller lighter cameras. I'm more into nature and wildlife photography so I feel I need the faster speed of the Canon over the Nikon. 7D is also a consideration but buying that might drain all my budget and I might not be able to get accessories for some time.

Then again, I have a friend who is into bird photography and tells me that the D90 is a better camera in terms of IQ and ISO performance. Now I'm really confused.

like that then i tell you olympus even better at bird photography and its cheaper for their flagship E-3 2nd hand i think 2k+. its faster, weather sealed, totally digital body and lens with a cropped factor of 2 rather than nikon 1.5 and 1.6 for canon. if you got their lens lets say example 70-300 x their cropped factor = 140-600... then you can tell everyone see i got a longer focal lens at a cheaper price and able to shoot bird too...

:nono::nono: trust your feel and decision dont look back when you have decided

Last edited:
Just go to the shop and test all the three models. Which you are confortable with and do read up on each models and whether it suit your needs.....:cool:

Both brands are good. If you prefer Canon just go for canon. I am a Nikon hardcore fans so i vote Nikon LOL. But personally i like to have 2 dials, but Pro using Canon never complaint about it too. So it is your choices. But I suggest trying both on hand and see which is better. Btw i agree that Canon focusing is faster than Nikon.

Thanks in advance.

Both brands are good. If you prefer Canon just go for canon. I am a Nikon hardcore fans so i vote Nikon LOL. But personally i like to have 2 dials, but Pro using Canon never complaint about it too. So it is your choices. But I suggest trying both on hand and see which is better. Btw i agree that Canon focusing is faster than Nikon.

hmmm i suppose you used d700 more but still focusing slower than canon? sorry no offence just want to know :D

Status
Not open for further replies.