Newbie photo of NTU

gmkris

Oct 6, 2011
PIC3N.JPG

Hello, I have been casually clicking in my own way with just some text book knowledge for past several months and now thought to see what others think about it.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition and post-processing, especially color saturation.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

A good landscape photo with a leading line. Also to have a long DoF which creates a 3D appearance (Not sure how far I achieved though!).

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Just an afternoon shoot when I saw beautiful clouds over NTU

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I believe the frame I had in mind is achieved though the car portion in the right-hand bottom corner doesn't go well. It was a colorful scene but I'm skeptical that my below par PP made it look unreal.

Any criticism even too harsh will be warmly welcomed and taken positively.

Thanks

Last edited:
- If you think about the rule of the thirds, the center of the frame is a dead/boring space. My eyes follow the leading lines to the center of the picture and stops there. There's nothing of interest in the center.

- You mentioned beautiful clouds so does the clouds in your picture represent what you saw? If the clouds are beautiful, why are we not seeing more of it? Make it a strong subject instead of being part of the background.

- The picture is rather saturated (on my CRT at least). You got almost the 3 primary colors (RGB) in the scene here and they are all pretty strong. I don't think it's a good thing in this case.

- Too much clutter especially near foreground which creates unnecessary distraction, eg. the signboards, IC cover, dustbins and lampposts (made worse when you make it all saturated and contrasty). The chopped off OG box, the top of the vehicle on the lower right and the amputated "HUMP" makes this shot looks carelessly taken.

If you already have the textbook knowledge then what you need is to be more critical towards your own pictures. Look at pictures from others as well (both good and bad). Don't give up, keep shooting and experimenting. Cheers!
:)

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments CamInit :) I take your observations and advices which is really true when I look at it again!

my personal preference is not to cut things at odd places in landscapes. it kinda breaks the composition somewhat, leading eyes out...

first would be the word hump, 2nd would be the buildings at the sides, 3rd would be car, 4th the post box. btw ur tilting ur camera downwards too.

the sky looks boring, so maybe u shld walk 1 -2 floors down and try another angle?

for me its just too many things to focus on

personally, i think that it should be:

1. simplified abit, less signs, obstructions , items etc.. less is more sometimes.. theres too many things in the picture

2. show something more of NTU since ur saying NTU , probably students/ (i dunno, sch logo at the main entrance or something? hah). if u dun say its NTU, i would think that it is somewhere else like some private estate in sg..

but thats just me haha

Thank you all for your inspiring words. Sure larrytok, I shall get some nice photos of NTU!

PIC3N.JPG

Hello, I have been casually clicking in my own way with just some text book knowledge for past several months and now thought to see what others think about it.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition and post-processing, especially color saturation.
A bit too saturate for me.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

A good landscape photo with a leading line. Also to have a long DoF which creates a 3D appearance (Not sure how far I achieved though!).
Maybe you want to try to shoot at lower angle (1-2 floor down?)
Try to include the building on the left? exclude the right side

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Just an afternoon shoot when I saw beautiful clouds over NTU

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I believe the frame I had in mind is achieved though the car portion in the right-hand bottom corner doesn't go well. It was a colorful scene but I'm skeptical that my below par PP made it look unreal.

IMO, it is a nice afternoon, but the photo is a bit boring and can be claim as "just another snap".

Any criticism even too harsh will be warmly welcomed and taken positively.

Thanks

Maybe you can try to look for more photos, then re-think on your composition.

Think about it. What story are you trying to tell us today?
The picture has to tell a story. Find that and present it.

Thank you Shen and Andy for your critical feed backs, points surely taken. Please visit my new thread which is just posted and will hopefully appear shortly.