Newbie Onboard :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlvinOMG

Jan 2, 2010
Bkt Timah
Okay i am a 15-year old student this year and my dad is finally buying me a D90 body paired with Tamron 18-270mm f3.5-6.3. :lovegrin:
I'd been researching on photography since October and before I laid my hands on the combo, i will like to see some personal opinion from you clubsnappers on the superzoom (tamron 18-270mm as mentioned above ) cuz i am kinda lost of getting this or the Nikkor 18-200mm.

Thanks.
Regards,
alvin

Okay i am a 15-year old student this year and my dad is finally buying me a D90 body paired with Tamron 18-270mm f3.5-6.3. :lovegrin:
I'd been researching on photography since October and before I laid my hands on the combo, i will like to see some personal opinion from you clubsnappers on the superzoom (tamron 18-270mm as mentioned above ) cuz i am kinda lost of getting this or the Nikkor 18-200mm.
Thanks.
Regards,
alvin
Welcome to CS :) You lucky chap ;)

Thanks.
Regards,
alvin

Hi welcome. Yeah you are very lucky... I am 17 this year and I am only using an entry level cam and kit lenses. LOL.

Do be warned that the Tamron might hunt for focus if lighting isn't optimal.
Also, do read up on this page for 18-270: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_18-270_3p5-6p3_vc_n15/page2.asp
18-200 Nikon: http://www.bythom.com/18200lens.htm
Tamron 18-270 @ 200mm onwards maximum aperture is f6.3
Nikon 18-200 @ 135mm onwards maximum aperture is f5.6
Compare the maximum apertures at different focal lengths ;)

Well, just dug up what's important ;)

Regards,
gibss.

Thanks.
Regards,
alvin

I suppose your dad is willing to splurge on this, and budget isn't too much of an issue.
Just wanna know why you decided on 18-270mm. Is the long reach really important?
Superzoom lenses tend to compromise optical quality for convenience.

Welcome to CS :) You lucky chap
Hi welcome. Yeah you are very lucky... I am 17 this year and I am only using an entry level cam and kit lenses. LOL.
Do be warned that the Tamron might hunt for focus if lighting isn't optimal.
Also, do read up on this page for 18-270: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_18-270_3p5-6p3_vc_n15/page2.asp
18-200 Nikon: http://www.bythom.com/18200lens.htm
Tamron 18-270 @ 200mm onwards maximum aperture is f6.3
Nikon 18-200 @ 135mm onwards maximum aperture is f5.6
Compare the maximum apertures at different focal lengths ;)

Well, just dug up what's important ;)

Regards,
gibss.
Um besides low light condition, will the tamron lens have problem autofocusing at the tele-end? Or will it be extremely sluggish as compared to the Nikkor one?

I suppose your dad is willing to splurge on this, and budget isn't too much of an issue.
Just wanna know why you decided on 18-270mm. Is the long reach really important?
Superzoom lenses tend to compromise optical quality for convenience.

It's because Tamron tend to be cheaper as compared to the dual kit lens that consists of 18-55mm and 55-200mm and i'll probably save some hassle carrying extra lens around >.<

Instead of comparing the lenses, why not think of other alternatives?

This is my opinion, instead of stating so much why not just put down what is the budget and let the pros decide the lens setup for you. As in what you want to use it for, situation etc.

By looking at yours budget is like D90 - 1300 + 18-200VR Lens - 1200 - 1300. So 2.5k !!!!

I think u whack one a 18-105mm VR Kit lens + 70-300mm VR + 50mm f1.8 prime better worth it! All Nikkon.

18-105 walkabout u use it when walking for landscape, 70-300 when u walk in big wide areas or shot unsuspecting subjects from far good, 50mm f1.8 for night and family shots. You no need to interchange lens now and then so often.

#_# I am using 18-105mm and 70-300 sigma. Thats what i feel, so i dont really interchange lens much if this is an issue to you. Just see where i am going ^^. If i am indoubt i just put 18-105mm.

Um besides low light condition, will the tamron lens have problem autofocusing at the tele-end? Or will it be extremely sluggish as compared to the Nikkor one?

The tamron will AF slower, but not to the extent of sluggish. And f6.3 makes it harder for the contrast detection due to a darker image, thus the slower AF at the long end.

Regards,
gibss.

Huh??? Only 17 and got entry level cam ah. You lucky too. Uncle here already 99 and got no more engine power to take night shots. Haha...

Anyways...AlvinOMG...welcome to ClubSNAP.

AlvinOMG said:
It's because Tamron tend to be cheaper as compared to the dual kit lens that consists of 18-55mm and 55-200mm and i'll probably save some hassle carrying extra lens around >.<

You didn't really answer my question, coz I was asking why you shortlist lenses with very large focal ranges (18-2xx). Just wanted to get you thinking if the long focal lengths are really what you need.

Would you consider the 18-270 as being much more useful than the D90's kit 18-105 lens, for example?

Welcome to CS...:cool:

I too got tamron 18-270...at low light it abit difficult to autofocus...solution use MF.

When i was 17, i can't even afford a PnS lor, i am 33 this year and got my very first DSLR, a cheap A330. Lucky you.

Thanks.
Regards,
alvin

i don't suggest you get the Tamron, why you need such long focal range? I would agree with 1 of the suggestion, use the kit 18-105 and also get a 50 f1.8. After that see what you like to shoot then decide what lens to buy, if you shoot potrait, the above more than enough.

I got a 18-250 and use it for travel, convenient i would say but AF hunt is quite bad at slightly low light condition :( sianz. But sharpness is acceptable. For Sony the 18-105 is really sharp, so i would say Nikon 18-105 should be good too.

Welcome to CS, I'm 15 this year too. :)

After much consideration after reading comments of fellow clubsnappers..
I purchased the Nikon D90 Kit yesterday with a 30L dry cabinet :bsmilie:

Thanks everyone who came into this thread and helped out :)

Where did you buy the 70-210mm? How much was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.