Status
Not open for further replies.

iwancamera

Nov 5, 2006
jb/sg/melb
hi big brothers and sisters.
kindly advise a few queries....
first. with a tight budget :sweat: ... i jus got a D70 cum sigma 24-105mm lens

q1. do i reallly need a dry cabinet or dry box?
q2. how long can the battery last?
q3. do i neeed a steady tripod or jus get a normal one?
q4. wat is a lens filter for?
q5. is the colour on the lcd same as wat i see in monitor?
q6. anything else i need to know??

thanx for all the advise... i am so excited for myself.....
cheers ppl
happy photo taking!

q1. u do nd one unless u use the cam everyother day.
q2. depends on wad batt
q3.can support the weight should be ok
q4.lens filter is to protect the lens front part the glass(UV or daylight) rest are for effects
q5.not sure

:)

yes. you spent so much on your gear already. do keep it safe and in a dry environment. 45% humidity would be good

im not a nikonian. cant help u here

i use a slik 330DX pro with a manfrotto 486RC2. i mount a 350D on it with tamron 28-75 and flash. works pretty fine

UV filter is for protection. ND filter for reducing light. many other types. for protection purposes, i recommend the Hoya Super HMC series as it's good value for money (consdiering ur on a budget). ive been using hoya for a long time and like its good value

not sure.

erm....how to ans this qn? so many things... :bsmilie:

welcome to the DSLR world.

In Singapore, yes - perfect growing conditions for mould. Protect your precious toys. 200 SGD should do it.

Can't help on that one - I'm a Canon man.

I went for a Benro combination (carbon fibre tripod and ballhead) - 520 SGD in total. Can take 8kg+ A couple of kg of camera gear and you can hang a few kg (your camera bag & bottle of water) off the centre hook to stabilise it. I'd suggest 300 SGD minimum as a guide.

Different filters for different things. A basic UV filter can protect your lens, help seal the lens internals from dust/humidity in some cases (as for Canon L lenses), protect from fingers etc etc. Some argue they are unnecessary, some wouldn't shoot without one, some say get a cheap one, some say get an expensive one. I budget 5% of the lens cost on a filter as a rule of thumb (i.e. 100 SGD for a 2k lens).

Nope, and in addition, the colour on a monitor bears no resemblance to the print in many cases - even with monitor calibration. Photolabs are wise choices for prints cost wise and quality wise. Do a search on here for recommendations of labs.

Get a decent bag and (eventually) flash. Flash photography doesn't have to be washed out skin, startled expressions and red eye. 300 SGD should get a decent flash.

Congrats on your purchase by the way - looks like a great start. Enjoy it. When you get used to digital photography and develop your skill you can always upgrade to a Canon :D

I'M KIDDING !

or am I?

Q6) there are many more lens and accessories you can buy :devil:

Congrats on your new purchase. I'm using a D70 too and it's performing great... :)

Yes, do invest in one as the warm and humid conditions in Singapore are great for growing fungus.

The batteries last really really long... I usually get more than 500 shots with one full charge. And the good thing is that even if you forget to charge your batts, there's usually enuff juice in the batts for you to take pics too even if you have left it untouched for many weeks. :)

Get a nice steady tripod, cuz you will definitely want to get bigger better lenses later on, so no point getting a flimsy tripod and then upgrading to a better one later, it'll cost more in the end. A good tripod can last you for many many years. I've friends who are now using tripods handed down from their fathers... :)

There are many kind of filters. The most commonly used is the UV filter, which most people use to protect their lens front elements with.

Usually not as the LCD on the D70 is not really calibrated, but it can be used as a rough gauge.

A flash and a bag is definitely useful. I always carry my SB800 in my bag when i go out shooting, even in bright daylight, cuz it's useful not just to light up objects, it's very good for fill flash too. I would also recommend that you buy the best that you can afford, as you would definitely wanna upgrade your equipments as you shoot more (at least that's true for my case).

Happy shooting. :thumbsup:

thanx ppllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
u ppl are very kind.......................

but it seems like ALL of you guys seems to ask me to prepare for upgrade sooner or later!!!..
omg!.. i jus burn my pocket... i think i will stick to the kit for at least 2-3yrs man!

ok.. questions again..
can i jus get a dry box instead?... it works the same rite? coz its cheaper.. 30dollar only
IF i don keep in the dry box... lens willl be bad or body?
i am actually stayin in AUS now... so there is 4season.. so it matters more or less?

battery.. seems like the battery is strong.... thanxxxxxx

tripod... erm. i am still struggling... coz good ones are exp!!... i went simlim research.. those normal ones are ard 30dollar... and the shop say no pro... but i worried too..
ermm.. haiz.. i am really on tight budget la.... :(

filters... i willl get one for protection then.. its 20-30dollar rite

lcd colour difference.. willl i need to touch up and adjust in photoshop after every shots?
thats kinda troublesome rite?.... and when u save in photoshop to jpeg again.. will the pic quality drop??....

other questions....
i would like to join u guys for photography session nxt time when i am back...
is there any newsletter to send to email about all that?..

so the basic kit i have now is ok rite... i jus need to get a tripod and a uv filter rite...
any other essential things i need??...
flash and bags.. i think i will skip... hoho.. i only got one lens and will carry the camera ard with my backpack i guess.. flash.. i am not that expert yet. hoho

another thing???

ok... u guys are great... this forum is great.... upz upz upz.... hoho

cheers:thumbsup:

Hi, firstly welcome to the greatest photography community. As you are on a tight budget, try to get what is more useful to you first. Maybe you wnat to check out the B&S section for items that you need first. Some items are more difficult to find and you need some patience.

Keep shooting. :)

do u want to invest in long term in photography as a hobby or do u intend to have one lens onli??

if one lens only u will get a dry box with tons of slica gel~~~ if not get a dry cabi, works better long term :D

no idea, dun own that camera ;P

well most tripods are steady, so u'll get a tripod or a one stick pod [no idea as to wat they call those]

uv is to stop sun gl;aring [i think] and the rest are for effects :D

NO, u'll have to get your LCD calibrated

no idea about this bro

However tight ur budget, there are some essential items to buy.

Need list
1)dry cabi. Protect ur gears from fungus
2)tripod. Great for photography and creative photography. Perhaps you can invest in a good 100 plus range tripod. Most importantly must be stable. Ball head is a luxury add on.
3)UV filter- protecting the lens.
4)Get a library membership card and keep reading. You'll eventually know what you wanna get. SLR is quite a personal camera. So you'll learn what to buy as you learn and shoot more.

Batteries, creative filters, ball head(for tripod) can be put under 'want list'

thanx ppl............ good advises given..
i got an extra battery.. tripod.. but now still struggling about the drybox or dry cabinet thingy..... i believe i am not those hardcore photographer like u guys.. keke...
wouldnt have so much money to buy alot of lens i guess.. and i think i will keep this set for at least 1-2yrs as it is.................
i am a diver actually.. so i would be more likely to get underwater casing then buy more equipment.. so i think the essiential is enuff at the moment... JUSt about the drybox...

my previous question..
i am staying in melb.... 4 season.. can be very cold... can be very hot..
so it is neccessary still???....
if YES.. then a drybox will do rite? it works the same rite?......
one final question... hehe..
thanx ppllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Drybox is fiddly, relatively unreliable and the BLUE silica gel is pretty unpleasant stuff (toxic). The white stuff is supposed to be ok.

I've not been to Melbourne but understand their are prolonged periods of humidity. Get a small digi cabi for < 100 dollars and minimise the risk - especially if you're using the gear around wet diviing equipment.

Cheers

hi big brothers and sisters.
kindly advise a few queries....
first. with a tight budget :sweat: ... i jus got a D70 cum sigma 24-105mm lens

thanx for all the advise... i am so excited for myself.....
cheers ppl
happy photo taking!

Will ans for the batt since the rest of been replied
As for the batt, i have try > 500 shots and the battery has not gone flat.

went to simlim today...
its only 18dollar!... hoho... but no brand one... and use pump to adjust ..
look simple/// hope it works...
and i cant get a dry cabinet now coz... my SQ fren DON WAN TO HELP ME carry over to me!
haha.. so only dry box allow...

or another suggestions????

Drybox is fiddly, relatively unreliable and the BLUE silica gel is pretty unpleasant stuff (toxic). The white stuff is supposed to be ok.

I've not been to Melbourne but understand their are prolonged periods of humidity. Get a small digi cabi for < 100 dollars and minimise the risk - especially if you're using the gear around wet diviing equipment.

Cheers

you can buy digi cabi. Free delivery. They have a promotion currently. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.