Newbie on Sunset

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry2308

Aug 30, 2005
Kembangan
Please give me your C&C..Still a very newbie in photography..Pic taken with Fuji F11.

Hehe..thanks zyle.

I took this pic on the cable car to sentosa..

zyle said:
try to play around with filters in ps.. you might get some more good effects that you'll want..;)

thanks for sharing..;)

Yup,still playing ard with PS to learn.

elfvin said:
nice. but maybe the sun is too glaring imo..

Thanks..I also thouught it was abit too glaring. How do i reduce the glare in PS?

jerry2308 said:
Thanks..I also thouught it was abit too glaring. How do i reduce the glare in PS?
try the "Curve" tool, :)

In this kind of situation, I suggest you to use smallest aperture possible to get maximum depth-of-field. In addition, you will reduce possibility of getting over-exposed photo

The reflection of sun on water surface is nice

Hmmm...Not easy to take this picture considering u r on a cable car. Good effort!

Another old rules in Photography, try not to place the sun in the central of the shot.
If possible move the horizon up to form a quarter half of the sky.

Better shots next time

Good try - can also try the WB - try Shade or Cloudy and -3 to give it a very warm tone too. The genuine sunrise, sunset effect.

Can take a peek a mine here
[thread]194060[/thread]

I don't think it is a good habit to tweak the white balance when you take the photograph. Take in RAW and then figure it out at your PC. By the time you tweak this and that, the moment has passed.

The other thing is... the sun has not set. If you waited a bit more, you will get this moon-like sun, which is redder and more glorious. It is difficult to meter properly if the sun is too bright. If you get the sea exposed nicely, the detail of the sun will inevitably be lost.

But I do like the effect of the sea. Maybe you should not take the sun at all, but focus on the sea? My brother took a nice picture of the sea once...

http://www.normanng.com/Main/PP6.htm

He's good, but I'm still crap but learning.

I'd appreciate it if someone can tell me the rough setting for taking a sunset handheld. I don't like to carry a tripod when I travel. Typically, if I were to open the aperture too wide, I will get this dark edges because the sun is much brighter compared to the surrounding. If I close the aperture too small, the shutter speed has to go down because there isn't much light at twilight. What is the largest I can open the aperture to get a decent sunset?

nottipiglet said:
I don't think it is a good habit to tweak the white balance when you take the photograph. Take in RAW and then figure it out at your PC. By the time you tweak this and that, the moment has passed.

The other thing is... the sun has not set. If you waited a bit more, you will get this moon-like sun, which is redder and more glorious. It is difficult to meter properly if the sun is too bright. If you get the sea exposed nicely, the detail of the sun will inevitably be lost.

But I do like the effect of the sea. Maybe you should not take the sun at all, but focus on the sea? My brother took a nice picture of the sea once...

http://www.normanng.com/Main/PP6.htm

He's good, but I'm still crap but learning.

I'd appreciate it if someone can tell me the rough setting for taking a sunset handheld. I don't like to carry a tripod when I travel. Typically, if I were to open the aperture too wide, I will get this dark edges because the sun is much brighter compared to the surrounding. If I close the aperture too small, the shutter speed has to go down because there isn't much light at twilight. What is the largest I can open the aperture to get a decent sunset?

Thanks for your comments.. I was on the cable car having dinner and also proposing to my wife to be...:bsmilie:

When i turn around and saw the sunset, quickly took my camera out to take a picture while she was eating her steak.So didnt really have much time to compose the picture.

jerry2308 said:
Thanks for your comments.. I was on the cable car having dinner and also proposing to my wife to be...:bsmilie:

When i turn around and saw the sunset, quickly took my camera out to take a picture while she was eating her steak.So didnt really have much time to compose the picture.

Congratulations!

Now u must take macro shots of the ring. :)

haha.. havent got myself a macro lens.

Over my budget already as i will be spending quite a lot for my wedding this december.

jerry2308 said:
haha.. havent got myself a macro lens.

Over my budget already as i will be spending quite a lot for my wedding this december.

You can purchase closeup filters instead. They work quite well, at a fraction of the price. :)

Jerry, congrats man! :D

nottipiglet..whoa.. the shot u said your bother took is quite impressive, i like the ripples...

with a brother like that, you should ask him about ur settings, I'm sure he would be able to give you really good advice too. :)

I'll ask him the next time I get to chat with him... but sometimes a bit pai-seh. A lot of these things are instinctive to him.

But I do see opportunities for a similar ripple shot from the cable car above... but of course not when you are trying to propose to your wife. :p

There are lots of great shots out there. We just have to find them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.