Newbie on Helix Bridge

timotimo

img13675.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
In terms of compositions and exposure. More of exposure. Every other comments. We are all learning here.

2. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I was walking around MBS and Esplande looking for night scene. I can't exactly remember the settings. But I exposed it for 30sec, f20 and above, and ISO 400 I think.

3. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
I still think my tripod cannot support the weight of my camera. If exposure last a bit longer than 10sec photo will become blur. Somehow I feel that the metal bar is taking up a little too much of focus of the picture. and the railing on the right still show. Anyway, these photos are all unedited.

I am a newbie. Not ashamed to tell it because everyone has to start somewhere right? Hmm.. Slightly more than 4 months now, I think. I bought my Canon 600D during the June IT Show. Still using the default len, EF 18-55 IS II.

Thank you :)

there is some distraction on the bottom right.

which length did u shoot this photo using your 18-55?

do you turn off your IS during long explosure shoot? you need to turn it off when doing this kind of shoot

IMO i noticed the back to be blur and my focus is basically on that piece of metal on the left. Composition wise you might not want to squeeze too many subjects into a frame. It gets a little distracting.

do you turn off your IS during long explosure shoot? you need to turn it off when doing this kind of shoot

Hi, can I enquire why it is recommended to off the IS during long exposure shoots? Many thanks!

slmka said:

Hi, im also a beginner. I just want to ask why do you need to turn of the IS when doing a long exposure shoot? How long is the long exposure? 10s? 20s?

btw its lens not len. plural is lenses

Hi, can I enquire why it is recommended to off the IS during long exposure shoots? Many thanks!

this was probably shot with the camera mounted on a tripod.

I am no expert but would like to share my thoughts on your photo. Composition needs to be improved as the metal bar on the left is taking too much attention and space. And like what sinned79 has mentioned, the railing on the right. Read up more on basic composition, e.g. rule of thirds. Explore different angles, and don't rush to press the shutter button, review your composition after you have compose it. Look out for distracting things.

Setting wise, I don't think you need to go to f/20. At such small aperture, diffraction will set in. Also with your camera mounted on tripod, use your base ISO, i.e. 100, your photo will have a much cleaner look. Also, shoot RAW and learn editing.

If your tripod cannot take the weight of your setup, invest in a better one. If you take good care of it, a tripod can last you very long.

Hope these helps. Cheers.