Newbie on G5 (Lens & Filters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

contacted

Jun 8, 2004
Bedok
Hi Guys,

Got my G5 not too long ago so just learning the basics.

Anyway just wanna ask you guys about filters and lens.

If I wanna add on filters, I first have to get the "Conversion Lens Adaptor" and snap on any filters right?

For lens? Do I have to stick to Canon's? Or I can explore 3rd party ones? Do I need an Adaptor?

Any advise is very much appreciated :sweat:

contacted said:
Hi Guys,

Got my G5 not too long ago so just learning the basics.

Anyway just wanna ask you guys about filters and lens.

If I wanna add on filters, I first have to get the "Conversion Lens Adaptor" and snap on any filters right?

For lens? Do I have to stick to Canon's? Or I can explore 3rd party ones? Do I need an Adaptor?

Any advise is very much appreciated :sweat:

Sorry, your G5 is a fixed lens camera. You cannot change the lens.
However you can add filters to the lens to change its characteristics. The common ones are close-up filters (reduce the minimum focusing distance hence increasing magnification), teleconvertor (increases the maximum telephoto focal length) hence more "zoom", and wide-convertor (reduces the minimum focal length) hence more "fisheye".

In order to add filters (they screw on, not snap on) you have to get the Canon adaptor or a third party such as Lensman. The adaptor is 58mm diameter so any filters you want to get must be 58mm. Filters can be from any brand as long as it will fit over the adaptor.

after you get the adaptor, you could add on conversion lenses such as teleconverters and wide-angle converters. there's no need to get Canon's. do ask around first before buying cos there're lots of poor quality ones (meant for video cameras) that are labelled as professional/high quality but are not.

:embrass: guess i understand...

what filters are good for newbies to get better results.

there are UV ones, which i suppose are used on bright days?...what other filters are there out there?

:embrass: any answers?

No filter will help your exposure, composition, focus/DOF etc.

What I do find is that in sunlight, a circular polarizer or C-PL does a lot to improve saturation and cut out unwanted reflections. A ND gradual filter also allows you to darken skies. But these are not easy to use and really, it is more important to learn about exposure, composition, DOF etc which is really non-filter issues..

understood-ed

get my basics first before moving into more advanced stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.