Newbie nid advise

paddy27

Oct 22, 2011
Im dslr newbie just owned a canon 600d wt kit lents 18-55mm.
thinking to buy 1 more lens but hv no idea which lens shld i get.
as i like to take landscape n portrait photos, so which lens i shld get?
canon f 1.8/50mm izzit suit for the 2nd lens that i shld hv?thkx for all ur helps..

canon f 1.8/50mm izzit suit for the 2nd lens that i shld hv?thkx for all ur helps..

Hi paddy, first of all, the kit lens you are having is a very good lens to start with. It suits all your need in taking good photographs. It actually depends much on individual on what are the types of landscape lens they want to have. Most choose ultra wide angle lens. In short UWA. And there are many good portrait lens available. You referred to the canon 50mm f1.8. It's good for taking portrait, it's a cheap lens and it takes sharp photo. You can read up some reviews on it. Hope you can choose what you like. Cheers :bsmilie:

Don't get any new lens. Play with your kit lens first... test out all possibility with that lens. And until you reach a conclusion that the lens is limiting you in whatever way, be it range, speed, focusing accuracy, etc, then choose to upgrade or get a second lens. And by then you would already know what you want in your new lens.

I have a feeling.. TS or infact many new DSLR owner.. just want to buy new lens for the sake of buying or owning more. ill suggest you to stick with your kit lens. If not.. yea a 50mm F1.8 can be a good start for your portraits photoshoot.

I think buying a 50mm f1.8 is useful if you are taking portraites.

From what i have experienced... coming also from a newbie. First, I went out a lot with my 18-55mm... and shoot! from then on, i knew what i want, the area and qualities the kit1 is lacking. Never, never buy lens for the sake that you can tell your peers you have this kind of lenses, and lens count.. its not a race. second, do your homework... read, read, read... then apply what you have read and shoot. search all the stickies in CS... third, don't rush, patience is key just like any other hobbies.

Why spend money on new stuffs when you are clueless about what to get?

Hmm one more lens for? If you need longer range then I suggest getting the 55-250 its a great combo.

18-55 n 55-250

Hmm if you want better performance in low light then its different story.

Last edited:
Kit lens will do for both landscapes and portraits.
U can try e cheap 50mm f1.8 for portraits, pretty good.
Shoot more wif Ur kit lens then know your preferred genre and focal length.
From there on, then decide on which lens to add on. ^^

My suggestion is to think back on your experience of owning your 600D with kit lens. How were you constrained by the kit lens? What are you looking for in the new lens? Landscapes and portraits are so broad, landscapes can be intimate thus requiring the use of a longer lens, portraits can be environmental.

The 50mm f/1.8 might not be exactly what you're looking for. On the plus side, it is cheap, so you can get rid of it with relatively minimal loss if you don't like it.

hi all..reli so much appreciated for all the replies.got it.thkx a lot..
actually im thinking stil playing ard wt my kit lens. n get to knw that the canon f1.8/50mm lens is quite cheap thus will think to get 1 n can learn i more technique by using standard lens..

actually im thinking stil playing ard wt my kit lens. n get to knw that the canon f1.8/50mm lens is quite cheap thus will think to get 1 n can learn i more technique by using standard lens..

1) Do not buy anything just because it appears cheap.
2) What technique do you expect to learn and why does it need this lens? Set your kit lens to 50mm and go shooting. Cheapest way to use 50mm.
3) The 50mm is not a standard lens on your camera (600D), it is a standard lens on film (and full frame digital) cameras. Standard as in 'roughly the same perspective as naked eye' for your camera would require a 28mm lens. Set your kit lens to 28mm and go shooting.

If you are fine to spend that money I guess nobody can stop you :)
As Octarine mentioned, you don't need to have this lens in order to learn "1 more technique" :confused:
But feel free to purchase this, and if you find it unsuitable, sell it cheap-cheap to a fellow CSer ;p

I started off e same 600D n 18-55mm. Now im getting 50mm/f1.4 as i found limitations due to low lights/fast forcus in e street . For lanscape, i still use my kit lens n tripod. Guess u need to explore e limitations 1st before u decide.