Newbie needs urgent help with Focusing issue!

wirenews

Nov 22, 2010
Singapore
hihi,
i'm so new to photography. ive been taking pictures with my canon 400d without much problem till today! i just realised that my camera focus is not working at all. i can't seem to focus in on anything. Autofocus can't work at all.. it will not take any pictures. Manual focus can take pictures but focus point is not clear at all either. Any help deeply appreciated thanks!

frantic!! =[
is my camera spoilt?

also, sometimes, my flash will be flashing but it is stated busy on the screen.. and it still will not take any pictures.. spoilt? =[

Can you set the focus point (the red dot) to the middle and aim at any object and take a shot? U know u can select the different focus point rite?

And then u update us here again.

Cheers.

hihi,
i'm so new to photography. ive been taking pictures with my canon 400d without much problem till today! i just realised that my camera focus is not working at all. i can't seem to focus in on anything. Autofocus can't work at all.. it will not take any pictures. Manual focus can take pictures but focus point is not clear at all either. Any help deeply appreciated thanks!

frantic!! =[
is my camera spoilt?

most probably either the AF motor on ur lens died out or the AF cable worn out, try to mount other lens to ur camera to make 100% sure that the problem is not with ur cam, if u dun hve extra lens to tesr, go to peninsula plasa 2nd hand lens shop and pretend u wanna buy one :bsmilie:, try one or two lens to see is it can focus correctly from there u already know which the problem belongs too ;)

also, sometimes, my flash will be flashing but it is stated busy on the screen.. and it still will not take any pictures.. spoilt? =[

nope it's normal after u take several consecutive pic with ur built in flash, flash got recycle time also what

i can't even do a half shutter. as in, i don't see the red dot either.

not that i can do a full shutter either.. gg? =[

only can take a full shutter pic in MF thats all.. =[[[

Then i think ur AF mechanism might be spoilt. See if ur friends has a cam body for u try out ur lens on. And u try their lens on ur cam body as well.

if AF mechanism is spoilt u gotta send it for servicing. not really GG, can be repaired though. but do ask for quotation first.

Thank you all for the help!! Appreciate it alot. Prays hard nth too serious though. Enjoy ur weekend any!

Few stuff you can try. Try using a bit of alcohol to clean the golden contact on your lens and the pins on the camera. Fully charge your battery and place it back into the camera to try again. It might be a simple case of poor contact and my old 300D I used long ago has a small problem of "hanging" when battery is low. If everything fails or you are not sure of what you are doing, can bring to CSC to ask for a check.

If it is the AF motor of the lens indeed (check with CSC) you can either get the kit lens with IS or the Tamron 17-50. AF motor down is not the worst excuse to get a new lens ;p :devil:

Before jumping to conclusion, can TS at least please specify about unable to focus and autofocus cannot work.
1. The lens motor turns, but cannot seems to lock on, so there is no beep and confirmation.
2. The lens motor doesn't turns at all.

Digital lens doesn't do much more than adjusting the lens aperture blade to the camera setting immediately when shooting and using a inbuilt motor to turn the focus. The confirmation is done on the camera side. When confirmed focused, it tells the motor to stop turning. If the contact between the camera and the lens is dirty, the camera cannot "speak" to the lens properly, it can cause such problem. If the motor doesn't turns at all then it is not a problem with the contact except the supply power pin in the contact have problem.

Thank you for the clarification.

In my case, I beg your pardon for failing to mention that my lens motor doesn't turn at all. I guess I have to take it to CSC for a check?

Thank you for the clarification.

In my case, I beg your pardon for failing to mention that my lens motor doesn't turn at all. I guess I have to take it to CSC for a check?

Test it with another lens. if the another lens AF fine with your cam, it means the AF motor in your lens is busted... and the AF motor in the 18-55 is known to break down.

Last edited:
Send for service or get a new one ba if you confirm that it is the lens problem when testing with a new lens. Most people who get the kit lens decided to sell it off not long after using when they think that the kit lens can no longer stratify them. As such, the second hand market cost of it might be even cheaper than servicing the lens.

Hi all,

I have managed to test it with another lens. The other lens AF works fine with my cam, which probably means the AF motor in my lens is busted?
As such, should I send it for servicing or get a new replacement? Thanks for the advices thus far!

Hi all,

I have managed to test it with another lens. The other lens AF works fine with my cam, which probably means the AF motor in my lens is busted?
As such, should I send it for servicing or get a new replacement? Thanks for the advices thus far!

I encounter the AF motor spoilt before... the repair cost is around $70 if i not wrong.. :) so u have to deicde whether to get new one or repair. best bet is to send in for a check first... may not be this bad :)