newbie needs urgent advice on K10D

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmtastic

Aug 24, 2007
Hi everyone,

I have ordered a K10D body and a Pentax 18-250mm lens to go with it.

The order is being processed by B&H.
I suppose I can still change my mind within today (4 Mar) if it is not shipped out.

Should I buy K10D with the 18-55mm kit lens ? The price difference is USD650 (body) vs USD720(body + kit lens).
I am sure I want the 18-250mm lens. This part of my order will not change.

Urgent advice is appreciated. Thanks!

The 18mm-250mm had covered longer range as compared to the kit lens.

I would not get kit lens since it is overlapping. :)

The 18mm-250mm had covered longer range as compared to the kit lens.

I would not get kit lens since it is overlapping. :)

I was just thinking that the kit lens is lighter for some occasions.

If I do not need it later, I can sell it off. But can I sell the 18-55mm lens for more than USD70?

The question u should be asking is if u can sell the kit lens, given that most have it free with their set.....

Run of the mill (aka, not premium f/2.8 constant variants) kit lenses don't usually fetch much resale so if you're not really sure you really really need it, save the money and get something else.

Consider an affordable prime (depending on your usage/needs) or perhaps some other accessory that would be more productive for you. Personally, and possibly for a lot of others as well, a 17/18-50/55/70mm and 70/80-200/210 combo works better rather than a 18-200 type compromise.

Note: If you get into DSLR shooting more seriously ... most phorographers end up buying and carrying lots more gear than just one or two lenses anyways ... unless you have a specific need like the kit lens is to minimise weight and bulk when you rock climb or something like that.

Hope this helps some.

The kit lens is a good lens to get you started but like NoMoney has mentioned, your 18-250 already overlaps. The kit lens is however much lighter and more compact which may be an advantage in some situations.

Like others have stated, lots of people buy their cameras with the kit lens, so if you're trying to let go of it later, it might not attract lots of buyers. Moreover there is a newer version coming out the DA 18-55 II.

If you're got the superzoom, skip the kit and get a flash or a tripod instead.

If you notice, there are several threads that are selling the kit lens, but non had been responded. Including mine. :bsmilie:

I believe most people would rather get the sigma 17-70 than the kit lens. :)

I have ordered a K10D body and a Pentax 18-250mm lens to go with it.

I will get the FA 50 1.4 to complement the 18-250MM. Useful for both low light and times u need a nice bokeh :lovegrin:

My kit lens has never left the dry cabinet since I got my Sigma 18-200, I'm thinking of selling it off already...

Judging from what people post on B&S, I think the very max you can sell for is $100-$120, so I wouldn't consider it worth the trouble if you have to spend US$70 on it, even with the super exchange rates now...

Save that US$70 to fund a tripod or a flash instead, I say.

I will get K20D body only.:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

I will get K20D body only.:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Come to think of it, that's good alternative advice. Get the K20D body and pick up a kit lens from any Pentax CSer and you've got a camera that can give great shots at high ISO even with the modest aperture of the kit lens. I'd give it a thought... :think:

Come to think of it, that's good alternative advice. Get the K20D body and pick up a kit lens from any Pentax CSer and you've got a camera that can give great shots at high ISO even with the modest aperture of the kit lens. I'd give it a thought... :think:

If I were getting the K20D body alone, I'd go w/ a better lens instead of the old kit lens :) You know why Pentax made an updated II version for the kit -- because it's not good enough for the new 14.6mp sensor ;)

A DA16-45 or Sigma 1770 is a better match for the K20D than the kit lens imo :)

If I were getting the K20D body alone, I'd go w/ a better lens instead of the old kit lens :) You know why Pentax made an updated II version for the kit -- because it's not good enough for the new 14.6mp sensor ;)

You're right, but if one needs a lens just to get started and don't have much more to spend, that may be the way. If not just get the K20D with the 18-55 II if really going on a budget setup..

You're right, but if one needs a lens just to get started and don't have much more to spend, that may be the way. If not just get the K20D with the 18-55 II if really going on a budget setup..

Yes, the K20D should go at least with the updated kit lens. Actually better yet, he/she should go w/ a K100D or second hand K10D instead of K20D ;) Both K100D and K10D are capable of taking great photos. I think a K100D/K10D plus a better lens is a better solution than a K20D plus the kit lens. Just my 2 cents ...

Yes, the K20D should go at least with the updated kit lens. Actually better yet, he/she should go w/ a K100D or second hand K10D instead of K20D ;) Both K100D and K10D are capable of taking great photos. I think a K100D/K10D plus a better lens is a better solution than a K20D plus the kit lens. Just my 2 cents ...

Ha, ha, I'm already following your advice here:
K100D + better lens = great pictures

The other related equation is:
Better lenses = bigger hole in the wallet :bsmilie:

leading to:
Bigger hole in the wallet = No money to buy K20D :bheart:

Thanks for everyone's inputs. I will save the USD70 for other things.

As I am starting off with my first dSLR, I am a bit reluctant to spend USD1300 now for the K20D body alone. Money does become a major consideration.

I did compare the K10D vs the Oly E510. In the end, the small view finder on the Oly has turned me off. I do not fancy using the Live-View either, as it is so slow and not comparable to that of any P&S digicam.

My outgoing now is around S$1650 vs the Oly package of S$1500 twin lens kit. The focal range of the Oly twin lens is pretty much covered by the Pentax 18-250mm. For the extra money I spent, I believe I have a better-built dSLR that will last me a few years.

A couple more questions: What about buying an extra set of battery? How to avoid losing the lens cap when shooting (e.g. using some string to attach the cap to the body)?

Thanks for everyone's inputs. I will save the USD70 for other things.

As I am starting off with my first dSLR, I am a bit reluctant to spend USD1300 now for the K20D body alone. Money does become a major consideration.

I did compare the K10D vs the Oly E510. In the end, the small view finder on the Oly has turned me off. I do not fancy using the Live-View either, as it is so slow and not comparable to that of any P&S digicam.

My outgoing now is around S$1650 vs the Oly package of S$1500 twin lens kit. The focal range of the Oly twin lens is pretty much covered by the Pentax 18-250mm. For the extra money I spent, I believe I have a better-built dSLR that will last me a few years.

A couple more questions: What about buying an extra set of battery? How to avoid losing the lens cap when shooting (e.g. using some string to attach the cap to the body)?

extra batt is almost a must have...lens cap ? keep them in the pocket or bag...unlikely you will lose them, even if you do, can get any replacement easily as long as its the same thread size...

I agree wif Fengwei on this, no pt getting K20D wif the older version of kit lens...
Thats y i got a DA 16-45 to replace my kit lens..
Then in future once save enough money can juz get K20D body only... :D

My humble advise is since u getting DA18-250 skip the kit lens...

Extra battery: must have. And maybe more than one if you're going to shoot events or going to outdoorsy places where you may not have a chance to recharge your batteries regularly.

Lens cap, like flowerpt said, just put it in your pocket... I find it odd to have a lens cap dangling off my body or lens when I'm shooting.

What I do is buy a few cheap lens cap to use and keep the original caps. That way I dont have heart pain if I lose them. Those from CP are pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.