Newbie needs some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necroplastic

Jul 27, 2009
I'm pretty new to the place, especially on the terms used and stuff. From what I can see, most of you guys carry pretty nice equipments and the costs of owning it, well, to each his own I guess.

I've yet stepped into the DLSR world as I'm still learning the basics with my compact. Currently using a pretty cheap and affordable Samsung compact but I've since seen it quite lacking in a lot of aspects.

I love to take macro shots of items and the likes. Normal scenic shots, some indoors but mostly outdoors. Hence, the lack of 28mm on my simple Samsung can be quite limiting.

Can anyone please advice me on an upgrade of sorts? I want to get a compact that I can really thinker about with, but I've yet settled on one. Many of my friends all advised me to get a simple "start-up" DSLR but due to space and transportation limitations, my best bet would be another compact.

My budget is around $600. I've been eyeing Canon and Fujifilm but I just can't choose between them. I'm a macro freak but I hate strong flash.

Many thanks in advance

Could you please try a search? Your question comes up about once every 2 days. And the recommendations are always the same... Panasonic LX3, Canon G9/G10, etc etc etc

First of all, you may want to look at this site, could provide some useful info for you
http://www.dpreview.com/

for below 600, it could be difficult to get all of the following in one
1. 28 mm
2. Canon
3. Manual control

If you don't need manual control, I would say you lost the 'learning' chances of playing with various setting.

If Manual + 28 + canon, the cheapest should be SX200IS, still 600++
if you got more $$, G10 is around 700++ if not wrong

Or, you may consider LX3 - drawback - less zoom ability. Should around $660

My heart is with the LX3, would love to get that, a nice wideangle 24mm and faster f2 with a nice fat sensor. zoom is a little limited though.
but for 600 i think for now you can only hunt in the buy and sell space. duno how much they sell now first hand.
for 470 you can get the fuji f200 which is pretty decent zoom without very wide wideangle and without the faster lens but sensor is as good as the lx-3
g10 is expensive with impressive detail at low iso and decent zoom. night indoors you might need a bounce flash on the hotshoe with the smaller sensor.

do remember that panasonic does take super nice macro with a raynox adaptor with external diffused or bounced flash. prolly can do the same for the G10, don't think the fuji can do that easily.

yah do check out dpreview, they have very nice comparissons recently i think. come here come here.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408enthusiastgroup/

Last edited:
Aahaaaa... well... sad to say but I'm seriously pretty new to this. I guess, like all forums, mine would generally be the most common type of question there is.

The search button is pretty useful, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to search for in this case. Very sorry guys.

And many thanks for the replies. Really appreciate it. The info is very helpful.

It's not only the search button that enables one to search a forum. It's also the browsing, checking the general structure of the forum, recognizing sticky threads and subsections. If you do this you will find a subforum "Articles and Guides" within the Newbies Corner. There inside you'll see a couple of sticky threads (marked yellow!). The topics already hint that they deal with Compacts and Prosumer. Read there for further enlightenment :)

welcome to the club

i think a D40 or a prosumer may fit your style and budget

and i would seriously consider the LX3 for it's convenience and that because it is also a very good camera

Welcome.. LX3 shld be ur best bet ! ;)

Aaaaaaaaaah... after some careful considerations... I've opted to look deeper into LX3. I went to Raynox website recently... trying to read through the lenses available for certain models as well as their stats...

Many more thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.