Newbie needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fahmysing

Jun 8, 2009
Hi All,

Am new here and reason for joining is to build myself into photography.

I am looking to buy my first DSLR camera. I have read reviews on Canon,Nikon and Sony and find that Sony has some competitive prices ni the market..

All am wondering is, after i get that, how would i cope up with the add ons for example an added lens..

This really confuses me...

Others tell me ergonomics which i partially agree,but I am 'Zero' in photography so i can be convienced otherwise...

People have said about the person shooting and all, all i want to know is how expensive can it get....May be get a Sony,then get screwed up with the Lens just coz its expensive..

Your kind help plz...

Thanks

Last edited:
dun know how to start helping...except that u google more and ask more specific question here instead.
camera price (body) ranges from a few hundreds to a few thousands, likewise for lens.

so u are 0 in photography...perhaps u should go borrow someone slr...and play first b4 u jump into this dslr thing.
have u consider prosumer too?

and go read up on
aperature
shutter speed
iso

too

I want something mid range to save me some money in future.So definetly saving those bucks is important...

I have been playing around with my friends Olympus 330.
I have read stuff about iso,appeture etc from this site which I must say has been very useful.

Am considering long term, learn for now and earn some money in future.(earning money doesnt mean big...ee.g a friend or family wedding event or something like that.) Planning to invest back home in a third world country where technology has not seen the light.

Its like killing to birds with one stone. I dont want to get something then get screwed up half way.As said earlier, no variety of 3rd party lens for Sony.

I need some advice to push me into the right direction.

Sony is gaining popularity as well. I have seen the market share....This means there are many people out there who consider it.

I want something mid range to save me some money in future.So definetly saving those bucks is important...

I have been playing around with my friends Olympus 330.
I have read stuff about iso,appeture etc from this site which I must say has been very useful.

Am considering long term, learn for now and earn some money in future.(earning money doesnt mean big...ee.g a friend or family wedding event or something like that.) Planning to invest back home in a third world country where technology has not seen the light.

Its like killing to birds with one stone. I dont want to get something then get screwed up half way.As said earlier, no variety of 3rd party lens for Sony.

I need some advice to push me into the right direction.

Have leh, Sigma do lens for Sony also. You want what type of lenses? it really depends what you wanna shoot right? Then you can ask yourself you wan Fix aperture lens? Prime lens? Macro Lens? Sony can also use old Minolta Lenses and you get image stabilizer with a 10 to 20years old len because the IS is build into the body.

Last edited:
I suggest before making any decision, try out the camera first.

Yes sony is up and coming brand, BUT in my opinion, sticking with canon and nikon is still safer.. the canon 500D or nikon d5000 would be very safe options. if price is an issue, get the lens second hand from clubsnap :)

to start off, a kit lens would be fine.

photography is a expensive hobby, but guess what, if you don't wanna get caught up with buying new lenses and the best and greatest, its perfectly ok. the kit lens is good enough to get you started.

Sony is gaining popularity as well. I have seen the market share....This means there are many people out there who consider it.

think of
1 - what is your budget for camera body. - dun say mid range...wats mid range to me can be high/low to you.
2 - what type of lens u need.
3- budget for lens.
4- budget for flash (if any)
5- budget for tripod (if any)
6- do u mind used cameras/lens or do u insist on brand new.

lets leave the brands aside now first. ans these question and i think u will have some suggestion

think of
1 - what is your budget for camera body. - dun say mid range...wats mid range to me can be high/low to you.
2 - what type of lens u need.
3- budget for lens.
4- budget for flash (if any)
5- budget for tripod (if any)
6- do u mind used cameras/lens or do u insist on brand new.

lets leave the brands aside now first. ans these question and i think u will have some suggestion

Thanks Mate...now you are putting some sense in me.
To answer the questions
1 - budget body would be between 600-900s$
2 - I would chose a normal kit for now,rest will come as I master the concepts.
3 - Sincerely havent looked into the budget but assuming 200-300s$
4 - No budget at the moment. Second hand would do if available.
5 - No budget at the moment. Second hand would do if available.
6 - Prefer new,I really wouldnt trust buying a second hand.

In total...lets round the figure between 1000-1200s$, I would prefer to the lower side.

The Professionals are here. So when I say mid range, I dont want something for a beginner, It should be a camera where I can keep for long without changing.An in betweener..

Brands are not important. Any brand's camera is able to give you great pictures if you use them well. Lenses are not too big a issue as there are 3rd party lenses for all brands - Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax and you are not going to buy all the lenses available anyway.

Based on your budget, do a search to see which offers you better options and functions. Go to the stores to see which cam is more comfortable to you. Not fair for others to tell you which to get since you are the one using the cam and you have to be comfortable with the camera.

An entire updated brand new SLR system for $1.2k is not really possible unless go for most entry level cameras.

do consider 2nd hand, i have seen a 300D paired with a EF 24-70L so shouldnt rule out older models..

if its 1k to 1.2k, u can either look in resale in canon/nikon buy and sell forum. 2nd hand stuff are not necessary bad...especially those with warrenty left.
if brand new...u will have to look at brands like pentax olympus sony (which i find are better value for money) compared to nikon/canon at lower range.

An entire updated brand new SLR system for $1.2k is not really possible unless go for most entry level cameras.

do consider 2nd hand, i have seen a 300D paired with a EF 24-70L so shouldnt rule out older models..

What do you mean by entire?No possible for body and kit lens at 1200s$??

Brands are not important. Any brand's camera is able to give you great pictures if you use them well. Lenses are not too big a issue as there are 3rd party lenses for all brands - Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax and you are not going to buy all the lenses available anyway.

Based on your budget, do a search to see which offers you better options and functions. Go to the stores to see which cam is more comfortable to you. Not fair for others to tell you which to get since you are the one using the cam and you have to be comfortable with the camera.

What do you mean when you say better options and functions?
Comfortabilty is something different on its own,i wouldnt know which one is comfortable,i just used an Olympus lately and felt good on the hands,but i wouldnt say i would opt for that...

there are...i would actually recomend u get a prosumer model such as mayb canonG10 or the likes.. these are easier to handle and less potential problems than a dslr. in future if u are ready, u can jump straight to the mid-range level dslr.

a prosumer is almost same standard as some entry level dslr(such as mayb canon 1000D?) has it has manual features too.

if u insist on getting a dslr, go for the 4digit models. those are the entry level ones. shld be around 1.2k i think.

It's surely possible to get just an slr and kit lens for that amount. But that means it will be an entry-level model. but you may not have any more money to buy other important stuff like a drybox, a bag, extra memory cards/batteries, battery grip, tripod, flash etc.

It's surely possible to get just an slr and kit lens for that amount. But that means it will be an entry-level model. but you may not have any more money to buy other important stuff like a drybox, a bag, extra memory cards/batteries, battery grip, tripod, flash etc.

No need for battery grip. Flash is 50/50.

If you get a Sony A330 from MS Color, you'll easily have money left over for a dry cabinet, extra emory and battery, and a tripod.

how much A33 costs from M S Colour?

I'm seriously thinking of getting this......

how much A33 costs from M S Colour?

I'm seriously thinking of getting this......

Call them for a quote. We can't post their price since it's given in confidence. But it's a very good price. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.