Newbie needs help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstone

I got a new camera, which allows me to set apeture and shutter steeings.

When I set the shutter speed to very fast, intending to capture fast movement, the entire shot goes dark like night.

How can I solve it? :sweat:

redstone said:
I got a new camera, which allows me to set apeture and shutter steeings.

When I set the shutter speed to very fast, intending to capture fast movement, the entire shot goes dark like night.

How can I solve it? :sweat:

One obvious solution is "Don't set it too fast".

In other words use a wider aperture.

Do a search on the net to understand the relationship btw shutter speed and aperture, and how they affect your pictures. This is a very basic concept and I doubt many people will bother to explain it here.

redstone said:
Can someone please explain to me since it's so easy to you guys?:D
I'll try my best cos I also still a bit sucky at this part...

Fast shutter (e.g: 1/1000 etc) = less light reaching sensor and vice versa for slow shutter.

In order to allow more light to reach the sensor due to fast shutter speed, aperture or ISO must increase, though I won't recommend pushing your ISO.

Now here's the thing about aperture or f/ number. The larger the number (e.g: f/22), the darker your pic will be (low aperture).

So in order to get your pic bright, your aperture value would have to go to say 4.5-5.6, depending on lighting conditions.

Hope this answers your question.

redstone said:
Can someone tell me how to capture fast movement, without making the pic dark?
Ok... First, how fast is fast? And second, what is your current setting that's making your pic dark?

redstone said:
Like 1/500 speed....
2.8 aperture
IS0400.

Pic still dark as night... :cry:
Are you sure? Cannot be lorz. 1/500 isn't very fast. Got any samples so I can actually visualise? Else I may say at this point of time there's a problem with your cam.

And exactly what were you trying to shoot? And where/when?

Indoors very unlikely you can use 1/500 without flash.

A camera can't be as good as the human eye. It may seem bright enough to your eye, but your camera still needs more light. By my experience, indoor shots with a bit of ambient light through your window, a good speed is 1/125 to 1/160. Under 1/125, camera shake will be evident.

If 1/125 is not enough, then unfortunately you have to capture this "fast movement" outdoors. I think your camera is limited by the max aperture and speed... ie. whatever you're trying to capture is simply beyond the ability of the camera.

to get a correct exposure you need the correct balance of shutter speed and aperture for your lighting condition of your scene. it is different for every scene.

so it depends on your lighting condition at your scene.
try using the A mode and set at the biggest aperture, let the camera decide the shutter speed.

Mount your camera on a tripod.
Add more light to your scene.

I can conduct a one to one basic phtography course for you or a couple of your friends for a small fee heh heh..
Go though all the basic plus hands on. If you keen on something like that pm me will give you a course outline :)

Shutter and aperture is a see saw.
Adjusting either will increase or decrease light.
You need to rely on your meter to tell you if your app/shutter setting is possible.
If you know that you need you shutter to be 1/500 and your meter is telling you that you do not have suffcient light then you will need a flash to provide the light required.

Theres a whole lot of technicalities eg stops and stuff which you can read up on but easier if somebody shows you, give you some tutorial pratices :)

Status
Not open for further replies.