Newbie needs help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindy Chan

May 6, 2005
Hello everyone. I just bought a Nikon D70S and am very keen to take good pictures. Heard about this forum from my friend who said there are many things I can learn here. It seems like the pictures I have taken look very dark...I wonder why?

Welcome to ClubSnap, Cindy. In here, you will find answers to your questions and future questions. There are tons of experts here. Enjoy your stay. :)

show the example and your setting like shutter speed,aperture,ISO,then easy for people to look through of your problem. :)

Cindy Chan said:
Hello everyone. I just bought a Nikon D70S and am very keen to take good pictures. Heard about this forum from my friend who said there are many things I can learn here. It seems like the pictures I have taken look very dark...I wonder why?

did u shoot against the light?

load a custom curve

Hi cindy, first of all, a very big welcome to ClubSNAP... i belive you will enjoy ur stay here..! hmm.. for your photo wise, best if you can post the photo up here and let all of use take a look.. ;)

here's the link on how to post the photos up here on this thread..
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=94574

Hi Zeckson and thanks for the welcome.

Erm eason, I don't quite understand what you're talking about. Sorry, I'm just very new to photography. Please pardon my stupid questions.....

yep ... WELCOME TO CLUBSNAP! =) ... i just got my d70 too =P .. heh heh ... (of course i got it from ParkertR [my brother] who just 'downgraded' =X to a older D100)

yep, post your pic here and your settings and it'll be easier for us to trouble shoot ... and also remember to read the manual! ... loading a custom curve would help (but well .. .not sure if she know about curves ...i know hardly anything about curves either =/)

so far i did not load custom curve in my D70 till now..

Do i actually need to ?

u dont really need to load a custom curve..its purely optional.. but it is a more refined method of enhancing the exposure straight out of the camera.

don't think so .. the loading of a custom curve does aid in reducing post-process work .. .i guess ... anyways back to the thread-starter's question ...

the simplest way would be to post the picture thats 'very dark' here with the settings u used, so we can trouble-shoot for you =)

either that .. .or ... well ... learn to use the light meter? .. when you look through the viewfinder, you see the bar at the bottom? ... when its on the + side, the pic will be 'over-exposed' when on the - side, it'll be under exposed ... so tweak the shutter speed and aperture till its right smack in the middle ... also take note where the camera is metering on ...(its a little deep on this part ... i don't think i know enough to explain this ...)

Cindy Chan said:

once again, welcome~ :)
do post ur pics here, if not we can't help determine whats e affecting factor in it...

on a side note, try doing a search 1st for some qns that u might wanna ask, good chance is that its been asked and answered b4 too. ;)

Cindy Chan said:

What mode are you using? Aperture priority? Shutter priority? Or Manual?

I suggest that you start off with either aperture ot shutter priority.

If you're shooting at an object and against a light source, you'll need to set the exposure compensation to between +1 to +2. Otherwise, the camera will be fooled and the object will turn out underexposed (too dark).

Welcome Cindy.

Not trying to be funny. But this reminds me of the silly things I did (and still do!) when I first use a camera beside a point and shoot camera. Point and shoot cameras (whether film or digital) are really quite good, and gave me an illusion that I knew how to take pictures. Nothing further from the truth! All the time, the camera's computer was doing the work, and I only have to decide where and when to point the camera and press the button. I am not undermining the P&S camera, but if you want to maximise on the use of your D70, I think you need to do a little home work.

My suggestions

1 Buy a book on beginner photography to know what is the basics such as aperture and shutter. Go from there.

2 or get a kind soul to spend tme with you to understand the camera and its components

3 Or better still, take a course in beginning photography such as those offered by Stanley, Photography Society of Singapore , Safra, or in Community Centres

4 Or perhaps you can join some photo shoots. I am sure there will be people who will be kind enough to help you during such shoots, but I think it will not be fair to them, because they will have to take time off during the shoot to help you. And if you really have little idea about suing the camera properly, it may take a little while.

student said:
2 or get a kind soul to spend tme with you to understand the camera and its components

4 Or perhaps you can join some photo shoots. I am sure there will be people who will be kind enough to help you during such shoots, but I think it will not be fair to them, because they will have to take time off during the shoot to help you. And if you really have little idea about suing the camera properly, it may take a little while.

I think these are the best options.. Faster to learn and there's someone to answer any doubts.. :thumbsup:

Hi Cindy,

Welcome to Clubsnap!

There are a lot of GURUS here. I am sure u will enjoy your stay at Clubsnap.
;)

Cindy Chan said:

Welcome to ClubSnap!
Congratulations on your purchase of your new camera,
it is only the start of your spending spree.

Firstly, what you need to do is to RTFM
then with an open mind, join photoshoots and talk to the people that you meet there, I am sure that they will love to talk about their passion.

Post your pictures and ask questions.

Cindy Chan said:

You're definitely in the right place. This forum is where I made friends and learnt a lot of important things on photography. Best way to learn photography is via constant practice. There are many casual outings for photographers here. Do join as many as possble and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Cindy Chan said:

remove the lens cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.