newbie needs help with adapter

bayusuputra

Sep 24, 2009
SG_ID
www.flickr.com
hi, i am new to photography and need some help here. recently i 'discovered' an old SMC-Pentax 50mm f/1.7 manual lens that belongs to my dad (the one that came with the Pentax ME-Super - http://www.kenrockwell.com/pentax/35mm/lenses/50mm-f17-smc-m.htm). it has got severe fungus as it was put in some cardboard box by my mom and was kind of abandoned for like 10 years or so...:confused: I wanna ask if there is any adapter from K-Mount to Nikon body (preferably that can focus to infinity) and where can i go to clean the lens? i think i really need a super expert in cleaning fungus, because it has grown into mushroom already :bsmilie:

thanks in advance for the help!

hi, i am new to photography and need some help here. recently i 'discovered' an old SMC-Pentax 50mm f/1.7 manual lens that belongs to my dad (the one that came with the Pentax ME-Super - http://www.kenrockwell.com/pentax/35mm/lenses/50mm-f17-smc-m.htm). it has got severe fungus as it was put in some cardboard box by my mom and was kind of abandoned for like 10 years or so...:confused: I wanna ask if there is any adapter from K-Mount to Nikon body (preferably that can focus to infinity) and where can i go to clean the lens? i think i really need a super expert in cleaning fungus, because it has grown into mushroom already :bsmilie:

thanks in advance for the help!

For Pentax-Nikon adapter,can try ebay for it.

For cleaning of the lens,try Emjay(Pentax service centre) or camera hospital:)

i tried finding it in ebay, but it is very difficult..so far i have not found it yet..thanks a lot anyway! may i know where are these shops located? thanks again!

in the services section of forum got some lens servicing people.

also, if the fungus grow into mushroom alr, it might be too late... i had some old lenses but the fungus grew so much that it 'ate' into the glass alr... even after clean cannot use anymore. of course, they were vintage lenses my uncle got from USSR circa 1930s-40s, so yours might not be so bad.

may i kow how much is the cost of such service? actually i am not sure whether it is really bad or not, i do not really know how to classify bad or really bad fungus...

may i kow how much is the cost of such service? actually i am not sure whether it is really bad or not, i do not really know how to classify bad or really bad fungus...

Above $100...

i tried finding it in ebay, but it is very difficult..so far i have not found it yet..thanks a lot anyway! may i know where are these shops located? thanks again!

Emjay(Pentax service ctr)is at Peninsula Plaza 2nd floor.Just opp CP's storeroom...

Camera hospital is at Sunshine Plaza(Not sure about this?)

I'm not sure, but does one need to change the entire mount on a Pentax lens to fit a Nikon body? I know for certain Leica/Olympus lenses, that can be done. The flange distance for Nikon may not allow the use of external/fit-on adapters.

Is the effort and cost of buying the adapter + cleaning the fungus off a 10 years, not high end lens going to worth it in the end ?

I had once neglected a kit lens for only 2 years, wow, inside fungus like spider web all over
Immediately I throw away the lens. In a humid country like Singapore, 10 years you can forget about salvaging the lens, if you clean the lens, most likely the coating will be already gone & the fungus cleaning will not be thorough, also you may need to re-calibrate the lens again after taking apart the lens for cleaning.

I actually went ahead and send a 22 years old lens for servicing.
To my surprise, all the glass elements are still working fine (of course, no "mushroom" kind of fungus as mentioned above but only "spider web" :D
Set me back $120 though. Your call :)

is it really that expensive? well, i actually exaggerated the mushroom part, actually it is more like a spider web...i didn't know how to describe at first...:sweat:

but i searched for such cleaning service in the forum and found one, i asked him, he said abt 25-30, but he hasn't seen the lens yet...

and for the adapter, i found one from hongkong (forgot the brand) it is abt US$30 inc postage, but with infinity focus...i wanna ask again (sorry for asking so many, newbie), from personal exp, will this kind of adapter affect the image greatly? and is this price reasonable?

after seeing the responses, now i dunno whether i should go ahead and restore the lens...
but really love this lens... ;)

thank you all!
(sorry for not quoting one by one, dunno how to do it:bsmilie:)

is it really that expensive? well, i actually exaggerated the mushroom part, actually it is more like a spider web...i didn't know how to describe at first...:sweat:

but i searched for such cleaning service in the forum and found one, i asked him, he said abt 25-30, but he hasn't seen the lens yet...

and for the adapter, i found one from hongkong (forgot the brand) it is abt US$30 inc postage, but with infinity focus...i wanna ask again (sorry for asking so many, newbie), from personal exp, will this kind of adapter affect the image greatly? and is this price reasonable?

after seeing the responses, now i dunno whether i should go ahead and restore the lens...
but really love this lens... ;)

thank you all!
(sorry for not quoting one by one, dunno how to do it:bsmilie:)

To reply with quote,just click on the quote button below anyone's post and you can reply to the person's message below:)

thank you all for the help! really appreciate it!
will now consider whether it is worth saving the memory of the lens or to get new memory with a similar new lens...;)
but any new suggestions are welcome!

cheers!