newbie needs help on dslr and len with budget $700

jadenleroy

Nov 1, 2011
Hi guys

Thanks in advance. I'm new and i wanna start with a dslr with budget $700-800. looking at used dslr and lens.

I'm looking for something that I wont out grow it in a very short time and needed a versatile lens without burning my pocket.

I will be using the dslr primarily for mainly studio or indoor shoots. Out door will venture there in the future. :)

Which brand and model would be best value for money?

Thank you! :)

Hi guys

Thanks in advance. I'm new and i wanna start with a dslr with budget $700-800. looking at used dslr and lens.

I'm looking for something that I wont out grow it in a very short time and needed a versatile lens without burning my pocket.

I will be using the dslr primarily for mainly studio or indoor shoots. Out door will venture there in the future. :)

Best value for money would be the Sony and Pentax DSLRs. Please go through the buy and sell threads, shortlist some models + kit lens that fit your budget, and then research from there.

any recommended models for Sony and Pentax DSLRs? I'm thinking of canon 550D... worth it?

any recommended models for Sony and Pentax DSLRs? I'm thinking of canon 550D... worth it?

Sony - SLTA33 (discontinued, but probably can still find in B&S), NEX-3
Pentax - Kx, Kr

I personally find Sony and Pentax abit small for my bearish hand (YMMV).

I hope you don't belong to the type that only look at Nikon or Canon only (imo, Pentax/Sony packs more feature that Canon/Nikon in the same price range). If you insist on the 550D, for this price range with Kit lens, still considered ok...

i m open to anything that is good and within my budget. When i do search..everyone recommends canon and nikon. so thats why i m only asking about these 2 brands.

so far i'm thinking of either 550D or nikon 3100, 5100. These are within my budget. if there are sony or pentax models that's within this price range yet performs superior to those models. of cos i will get which ever thats better :)

i m open to anything that is good and within my budget. When i do search..everyone recommends canon and nikon. so thats why i m only asking about these 2 brands.

so far i'm thinking of either 550D or nikon 3100, 5100. These are within my budget. if there are sony or pentax models that's within this price range yet performs superior to those models. of cos i will get which ever thats better :)

Yeah, any Sony/Pentax in that price range will perform as well as, or even superior to those models. Look at the A500/550 for example.

Everyone recommends Audi or Honda for cars, doesn't mean you can't look elsewhere. ;)

Look at the cameras in your pricerange, then do some research, and consider the pros and cons of each, then decide which is most important to you. We have a sticky called "What DSLR to get?", you should try reading it.

For example... Do you need video mode? Do you need built-in antishake? Do you need fast autofocus in liveview? Do you need autofocus in video mode? Do you need a camera body with a built-in autofocus motor so you can AF with all AF lenses? etc etc etc...

TS, you might want to go to the shop to try these cameras out. As I have always say, there are no inferior cameras... all these cameras from whatever brands are build to what they are intented of. You need to ask yourself these,

1) What features you really want and must have
2) What features are good to have

Plus you might want to look at mirrorless options too... cameras like Sony's NEX, Olympus/ Panasonic's - m4/3 camera, Nikon's 1 series.

When you go down to the shop, be sure to take special note of these,

1) Ergonomic of the camera (button layout, grip design, etc)
2) Menu User Interface (to see if you like it or not)
3) Weight or the camera (very very important - trust me)

Yea.. First you need to list out your priorities. What you want and which kind of features..technology u want. Try not to limit yourself to only afew or 1 brand. Having said that.. if you only like any particular brand..then go for it. End of the day you must be satisfied and happy with your purchases. That is most important IMO...

Hi guys

How up-to-date do you want your body to be?

If you want the latest noise performance, then you'd have to stick to the brands with cheaper bodies, i.e. Pentax K-r comes to mind. Later models will also have more recent features (based on trends), e.g. HDR in-camera, etc. If you don't mind accepting a bit more noise for higher ISOs and trading up for more advanced features beyond what the entry level camera offers (which your price can only buy if you buy a relatively new camera), then you can consider older, but higher-tier models.

Personally, I would think entry level DSLR will do for now, and you can start with the kit lens. Depending on the price you get it for, you can consider getting a fast basic prime (50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4; former will cost maybe $100-$200, latter will cost in the region of $300-$500).

For indoor shoot, good flash unit is a must. If budget allows, consider a fast zoom lens like popular tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Normal kit lens is still do-able but might struggle a bit. For studio, you need to invest in more flash unit, softbox/umbrella, wireless commander to control the flash, which might be out of your buget already.

Good start with 550D + tripod + stand + backdrop ....but $770 not enough for your studio setup.... need to increase budget or start learning with the camera and kit kens first... then plan for next....

Pentax k-r performs really really nice. I have it and I love it for the price.
Results are comparable with those Nikon and Canon cameras which are above 1K.
new Pentax k-r should fit in your budget nicely with 18-55 kit lens or may be even with dual kit lens(55-200 & 18-55).

Good start with 550D + tripod + stand + backdrop ....but $770 not enough for your studio setup.... need to increase budget or start learning with the camera and kit kens first... then plan for next....

Bro this lens alone is above 500 even 2nd hand :)

For indoor shoot, good flash unit is a must. If budget allows, consider a fast zoom lens like popular tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Normal kit lens is still do-able but might struggle a bit. For studio, you need to invest in more flash unit, softbox/umbrella, wireless commander to control the flash, which might be out of your buget already.

Based on yr budget, Sony is the way to go. The reason is for the same price, Sony offers more features than other rivals.

But the most impt thing in your budget situation is u can get Minolta lenses with great colors and sharpness, that will not burn a hole in pocket.

I'm no expert in studio shoots, but I know u will need some money for flashes and stands, deflectors, wireless triggers, etc.

So $700 is not enough for everything.

donut88 said:
Based on yr budget, Sony is the way to go. The reason is for the same price, Sony offers more features than other rivals.

But the most impt thing in your budget situation is u can get Minolta lenses with great colors and sharpness, that will not burn a hole in pocket.

I'm no expert in studio shoots, but I know u will need some money for flashes and stands, deflectors, wireless triggers, etc.

So $700 is not enough for everything.

To add on, canon and nikon lenses are more ex, so in long run, u are spending more money..