Newbie needs help on choosing digicam...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickytape

Aug 10, 2004
East
Hi people, really hope you all can help me out on this...

am looking for a digital camera, but am on a tight budget. Looking at around $500 or below $500...

As i may wish to develop some photos, so i guess i would require at least 4MP? Other factors are not really important, as my aim is just to shoot decent looking photos.... really noob here..

Hope you all can give me some recommendations...

Was looking at Panasonic FX-8 but its kind of above my budget.... :confused:

Do you need the ultra compacts or just a normal compact?

There are some pretty cheap models, around 3.2 megapixels which should give out decent 4Rs..

Examples would be the Canon Powershot A410, Panasonic's LS1/2 models, of course there are other too. They will most likely fall under your budget :)

wow, thanks Hexlord for the fast reply.

actually my purpose for buying a camera is to bring it on a trip... so probably something more compact would be better?

btw, the panasonic LS1/2 models are not available on the panasonic website, can i check how much it costs approximately?

thanks so much for your help. :)

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...rogram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702

This is the model I am referring to .. I guess the LS1 have been phased out?

I have tried holding a LS1 one b4 during a PLUG outing.. very plasticky but usable!

Sadly the really ultra compacts are quite expensive (See the higher end IXUS or the Exilims.. )

thats nice small digi cam. :)

alternatively, can go to dpreview.com to look for more info for each individual cam. Then you might wan to call up to Cathay Photo/ MS Color/ Alan Photo for the price too. :)

why not consider F11 for better night performance.

wow, thanks wrx_sti_22b. guess i'll be looking out for DMC-LS2... since its within my budget. :)

Any idea if it wud be launched in the coming IT show?

Just slightly more than $500 you can get a great camera, the Finepix F11. With VGA movie to boot. Or you might want to get a second hand F10 which should be cheaper than $500. Equally good, just with less manual controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.