Newbie needs Advise..

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr

Nov 9, 2004
Central
Hi Folks!! I'm a newbie n i would like to give a :thumbsup: to you folks for this great forum. There must be a lot of pro-photographers here from the fantastic photos i have seen, really hope to learn from the gurus. Anyway, here's a little intro. I own a Casio Z40 and I have been snapping happily for the past few mths but I have started to outgrow it. I find that it cant do many kind of creative photography that I hope to do. I started to look out for somewhere to begin .Saw the Singapore Photography Society and now, CLUB SNAP!!I'm in favour of Digital so I hope you guys can give some advise what is a good way for me to start. Take a basic cse (saw it in another thread) or read up more n get a DSLR to start trials n error? Currently looking at Nikon Coolpix 8800 & Nikon D70. (Dunno if Canon is better?) This is a very heavy investment so I have to consider carefully.. are those 2 an overkill for newbie like me who doesnt even know much about the parameter settings? :dunno: Maximum budget is $2k...

join more outings and use wat u have???

cheers and let me be the first to welcome u to CS...

Welcome welcome :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

newbies always don know wat they wan, my advise:

get a D70 with kits lens, then get a second hand sb800 as this flash is very gd. With all this, you can start to shoot happily.......

From there, move on to see wat you really needs.

Slowly, slowly......

Thanks guys.. just read another thread by a newbie. Really solid thinkers we have here. Heh heh I am very paisei to go meetup cuz I newbie with P&S camera only.. have the impression all of u dudes will be like Rambo armed with stylo malo camera bags and etc... ;p Anyway wat do u guys do during meetups? Take pictures? Or TCSS?? As for D70, I saw an offer for new D70+1GB Compact Flash+Flash(Dunno wat brand) going at $2k today... yeah i agree this hobby should be taken slow n easy. No overnight champion...

yup....no need to pasieh...PnS helps u learn composition better....i used to use one too lo haha..

Ha ha thanks for the warm welcome dudes.. will make an attempt to join u guys... :lovegrin: Can check out wat a D70 feels like up close!!

My advice to all newbies to photography is that don't burn your money to getting an SLR yet, especially if you have a limited budget. Don't waste your money.

If you have a budget of 2K max, I would suggest you go for a prosumer camera first, which normally cost around $1500-$1700. A prosumer is a camera which is:

• Having a fixed zoom lens, often with optical and digital zoom.
  • Having a standard 'fire and forget' function, like basic portrait, landscape, night shots, etc
  • Having a set of creative functions to squeeze out those creative juices of yours, such as Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual settings
  • Having a full functionality of a DSLR camera, except for shutter lag and interchangeability of lenses.

Shutter lag, FYI, is the time difference when your press the shutter button and the shutter actually opens.

Other than that, it's a DSLR! You can start playing with this for a long while, before you really decide what you want in photography. If you're those really 'siao on' type like me, then go for a DSLR later with bigger budget. If you decide later that you're only casual snappers and occassionally want some creativity, then you'll be staying put I'm sure. You don't have to feel shy carrying a P&S or prosumer. Those who looked down on you probably don't understand photography. I've seen very good photographers using a prosumer camera and still achieve excellent results.

Hope this helps.

Hi

I am facing the same probelm.. been getting different advices from my friends... decided on getting a low end prosumer first. looking at the lumix fz20 ....

No matter how careful u plan and research for it, u would still end up with the wrong equipment sometimes. So, (a) just whack and buy whatever u like, use it, if dont like, sell it quickly at a discount price, then go and buy another equipment, repeat (a).

Anyway, welcome to this forum, hope one day u will get promoted from New Member to Member.....

Hi guys.. just to share a simple photo which i took at ICT..
14877CIMG1235f-thumb.jpg

Let me know wat u guys think.. was done with a Casio Z40..

follow ya heart la...sometimes digital is not the way to go all ... film rules ahha......

engr said:
Hi guys.. just to share a simple photo which i took at ICT..
14877CIMG1235f2-thumb.jpg
LEt me know wat u guys think.. was done with a Casio Z40..

cant see the photo... ICT hmm... wow should be interesting.

Virgo said:
My advice to all newbies to photography is that don't burn your money to getting an SLR yet, especially if you have a limited budget. Don't waste your money.

If you're those really 'siao on' type like me, then go for a DSLR later with bigger budget. If you decide later that you're only casual snappers and occassionally want some creativity, then you'll be staying put I'm sure. You don't have to feel shy carrying a P&S or prosumer. Those who looked down on you probably don't understand photography. I've seen very good photographers using a prosumer camera and still achieve excellent results.

Agreed.

Some might just too impulse in buying DSLR...and weeks later, left it in the drybox for months.

:p :think: :p

From a digital newbie who made his most memorable shots with a prosumer...

It's not always the equipment, eventhough advanced and better specified equipment helps get the shot.

But if you allow technology to become your master, instead of a tool, what have you achieved?

Having a budget of 2K and being to afford abrand new Nikon D70 does not necessarily put one in a position to better understand pphotography.

However, if getting a fast prosumer oR a lowered price D70 gives you the results you want...why not?

But..but, but, exactly what do you understand of what you want...or REALLY NEED? Not that I am putting you down; heck!, even I do not know what I truly want after all this time.

What I do know is that as much as as I adore LEICA, Zenzanon and ZEISS lenses, I have seen stellar rsults from Zuikos, Nikkors, Canons and Takumars, and I'm not necessarily refering to premium lenses. And I am always forced to try and get by with what I have, even if I often long for better. That is, afterall, the curse of the less affluent.

You are, at a beautiful phase of discovering photography, yet it is also an angonising one because you are discovering that equipment plays a relative, and therefore important part of the results you hope to achieve.

Which brings me to the next question: What EXACTLY is it that you would really like to achieve after spending 2K on equipment? Would 2K suffice, or do you need to spend say 3 or 4 or 5 or even 8-12K as many here have done?

There is a saying (at least where some are concerned), "Is enough is really (n)ever enough"?

Take a step back. Wait for prices to drop even more...explore the 2nd hand route, but if I may offer, never consider a purchase without knowing full well what or how that piece of equipment can do for the technical quality of your photography.

Then ask yourself again, what is it that you really hope to achieve...aesthetically?

Warmest rEgards!

Well said Feinwerkbau! It's the man behind the camera that's crucial, not so much on the equipment itself. The camera only contributes a small portion of a good shot I would say.

Don't rush into things, take your time to decide what you want, what you can/want to do when you buy this camera. Are you REALLY going to make full use of it, to such an extent that even in pitch dark, you know where all your function buttons are? Can you achieve what you desired with a cheaper model?

Of course, if one's financial status can well afford the best, then I wouldn't discourage. If one is tight on budget, then do your studies and thinking first before taking the plunge. A DSLR has got a lot more to invest than a mere 2-3K.

Good luck and all the best for your decisions and purchases.

If anybody regrets buying a DSLR, can give it to me, I help you all settle it :)

See, that's exactly what I'm trying to drive at.

If you're not careful with the selections, then people like espn (me included), will benefit, as a lot of newbies bought without thinking and later landed in Buy and Sell section of this forum. ;p

If you want a SLR ... get a film body with a cheap 50mm prime. :)

$2k not enough for DSLR
U need at lest $4k for an adequate setup.
Save up more 1st. use your old camera.
If U buy another prosumer camera, U'll be wasting most of your savings, & the DSLR u eyeing is getting futher & further.

However if U really want to get a DSLR now, get the D70, or the canon 300D. cheap. But U sure to upgrade soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.