Newbie needs advice

Zedge

Oct 6, 2010
Hi CS bros/sis,

I am new to this hobby and would like an advice on what camera n lens I should get.

I am more into City/Land Scapes Pics.

Thanks
Zedge :)

can give more details like:
  • Budget?
  • Which brand are you interested in
  • Are you looking for starter kit lens or pro lens?

Budget is ard $2k, looking at Canon or Nikon.

I was thinking of getting a body n lens separately

strictly a $2k budget either a Canon or Nikon:

Canon: 550D
Nikon: D3100

Depending on your needs, match either a Tamron 18-270 VC or 17-50VC. Sell the kit lens if only the kit is available.

anything better, like 60D, 7D or D7000 will blow your budget.

The new Pentax Kr is a viable choice.
Very price competitive and performance.
Camera, 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses is closer to half your budget ($1070 from SLR Revolution), leaving your something left for better lenses and accessories.
here is a review.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778924

Last edited:

Well, I'm a Nikon fan, but I do think the other brands offer viable alternatives, sometimes at lower price points.
Do keep an open mind regarding the brands, especially if you don't have any existing gear from a particular brand.

edit: do also consider buying a 2nd hand set. Chances are you might be tempted to change cameras after some time, so buying 2nd hand could save you some of the depreciation cost...

Last edited:
The new Pentax Kr is a viable choice.
Very price competitive and performance.
Camera, 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses is closer to half your budget, leaving your something left for better lenses and accessories.
here is a review.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778924

Especially now that Pentax Kx + 18-55 is going at a very special price of 699. Totally worth it.

I was thinking of getting a Canon 550D body & a EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 lens

Gd enuff for beginners?

Well,
I think a nikon d90 would be a good body. Cost about $1200 first hand or 900+ 2nd hand i guess.
A wide angle lens , tokina 11-16mm, amazing lens, good for landscapes
A 18-55mm which is extremely affordable but very good valued walk about lens.
Should cost u around 2k. Of course that is excluding tripods , bags, filters, dry cabinet etc that u might wanna get too. :)

Good luck

Gd enuff for beginners?
In the beginning, most people are not good enough for the even the basic models ;) Up to you when you turn the table :cool:

5D classic + 17-40L (2nd hand price around 1.4 + 800 - 900ish)

Gd enuff for beginners?

Sure! its good enough. :)

Well,
I think a nikon d90 would be a good body. Cost about $1200 first hand or 900+ 2nd hand i guess.
A wide angle lens , tokina 11-16mm, amazing lens, good for landscapes
A 18-55mm which is extremely affordable but very good valued walk about lens.
Should cost u around 2k. Of course that is excluding tripods , bags, filters, dry cabinet etc that u might wanna get too. :)

Good luck

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Im sure you missed out a lot of those more important accessories, like dry cabinet or drybox & silica gels, lenspen, blower, filters(mainly GND, ND, UV, CPL for landscapes), decent tripod & tripod head and bag, and if you need software like lightroom for post processing.

Do remember to add in the account that accessories play a big part in creating and maintaining good photography.

Im sure you missed out a lot of those more important accessories, like dry cabinet or drybox & silica gels, lenspen, blower, filters(mainly GND, ND, UV, CPL for landscapes), decent tripod & tripod head and bag, and if you need software like lightroom for post processing.

Do remember to add in the account that accessories play a big part in creating and maintaining good photography.

Yep. Its not only the camera. But i dun think ND n GND are must have for beginers.

TS, u might want to go some electronics store like courts or harvey to try the camera's out. That'll help u decide.

GND, ND are definitely not stuff essential for newbies.

Start shooting first, and as you know what you need, then buy them slowly...