Newbie needs advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajR

Oct 11, 2004
Went around shooting in the neigbourhood in the morning, took a couple of pictures but alot all quite blur while some are still acceptable to me. any tips or tricks to get the pictures sharp? heres some of the shots..

blur ones
blur.jpg

blur2.jpg

slightly not so blur ones
HDB1%20copy.jpg

cap1.jpg

thanks in advance dudes! :D

Shuttle speed should be at least 1/focal length to prevent 'camera shake'.
eg use 1/50sec or faster when using 50mm.

okok thanks.

And what really does the aperture does to the picture, dont really under stand this..

just swap from a P&S digicam, didn't do much settings on the previous cam..

ajR said:
Haha, thanks dude.
Gawd, bringin my cam out for a walk is real heavy man compared to my old P&S!

Woah, the water "explaination" to aperture sure makes it clear boy.

No problem! I'm also new to SLR. Still learning.

The first few pictures are blur due to camera/hand shakes. As stated by evq and solution is also provided by evq. Avoid camera shakes by learning proper camera handling and holding, and if light is really insufficient, use a suitable camera support like a tripod/monopod.

For aperture value other than controlling the exposure, it's also used to control the Depth of Field, which is the region that is in focus. This DOF effect is more profound in DSLR and SLR compared to compacts and prosumer digicams due the the lens used. Maybe you could tell us what camera you are using and we may be better to help. Or better, go find our nice Adam Goi and gang during a SEED session with your camera to learn more. Or even better, join a photoshoot event such as Azure's AG which is organised regularly.

Welcome and Shoot!

Flare said:
The first few pictures are blur due to camera/hand shakes. As stated by evq and solution is also provided by evq. Avoid camera shakes by learning proper camera handling and holding, and if light is really insufficient, use a suitable camera support like a tripod/monopod.

For aperture value other than controlling the exposure, it's also used to control the Depth of Field, which is the region that is in focus. This DOF effect is more profound in DSLR and SLR compared to compacts and prosumer digicams due the the lens used. Maybe you could tell us what camera you are using and we may be better to help. Or better, go find our nice Adam Goi and gang during a SEED session with your camera to learn more. Or even better, join a photoshoot event such as Azure's AG which is organised regularly.

Welcome and Shoot!

Azure's AG? I'm interested, when will be the next?
Thanks!

Oh, using a D70 with kit lens at the moment.

hmm, yar i think so..my hands tremble..

haha, sure..will try to meet up with the dudes to gain knowlegde bout stuff.. :D

Think you just missed the last one, see here.

Well, I guess you'll have to pm Azure yourself to check. :D

I'm also new to DSLR. ;p Had been stuck with prosumers since I picked up photography until recently.

Flare said:
Think you just missed the last one, see here.

Well, I guess you'll have to pm Azure yourself to check. :D

I'm also new to DSLR. ;p Had been stuck with prosumers since I picked up photography until recently.

Hahha, I also jus found out. Thanks anyway.

for tripod, try to get stable one esp for DSLR which is much heavier than ur P&S, try tripods from Manfrotto, Slik, etc etc.....

do a search in CS on tripod, and you will get all the info u would need........

cheers.........

ajR said:
hmm...was wondering if a tripod like this is sufficent..

http://www.nb-jinhui.com/images/product/sl-1200b.gif

when i mount my cam on it...seems to tilt abit eh...

ajR said:
hmm...was wondering if a tripod like this is sufficent..

http://www.nb-jinhui.com/images/product/sl-1200b.gif

hen i mount my cam on it...seems to tilt abit eh...

Hee, isn't that the free tripod with the D70? It may just be sufficient when mounted with a standard lens, but anything heavier, it's stability may be in question.

Maybe you could look at the Manfrotto 190 pro?

yup...190Pro is a good choice...

Best is go down to the Tripod Section at CP (Penisular), the staffs there very frenly (forgot their name liao, Steven?), just tell them what you need and looking for and i'm sure they will give you a good recommendation....

Flare said:
Hee, isn't that the free tripod with the D70? It may just be sufficient when mounted with a standard lens, but anything heavier, it's stability may be in question.

Maybe you could look at the Manfrotto 190 pro?

Ok thanks for the advice again.. will pop by to have a look at the tripods.

Whats the price range of the Manfrotto 190 Pro?

Do i have to get a ball/pan head for the tripod? or issit included?

yes, u do need to get a ball/pan head (again, depend on what u need and want) in addition to the tripod.

haha...to make it more fun, you may consider monopod too! haha.....

all info on ball heads, tripod & monopod could be found in CS.....

take your time to do some research before committing..........

enjoy!!!

cheers...........

ajR said:
Ok thanks for the advice again.. will pop by to have a look at the tripods.

Whats the price range of the Manfrotto 190 Pro?

Do i have to get a ball/pan head for the tripod? or issit included?

Flare said:

I am not quite sure if the blur images are ALL due to camera/hand shakes.

Picture #2 - I am sure this is due to camera shake. And probably also #3. Look at the TV antennae. There is a double image. This picture is taken in low light (I see window lights) and the shutter speed slow. Causing double images -> blur.

#1 is taken in good light. I do not think this is due to camera shake. I am not familiar with you camera. But I think the focussing is off. Many possibilities. An example (not necessarily THE REASON!) is that the camera may be focussing in a textureless area like between 72 and 159, causing it to fail to focus properly.

student said:
I am not quite sure if the blur images are ALL due to camera/hand shakes.

Picture #2 - I am sure this is due to camera shake. And probably also #3. Look at the TV antennae. There is a double image. This picture is taken in low light (I see window lights) and the shutter speed slow. Causing double images -> blur.

#1 is taken in good light. I do not think this is due to camera shake. I am not familiar with you camera. But I think the focussing is off. Many possibilities. An example (not necessarily THE REASON!) is that the camera may be focussing in a textureless area like between 72 and 159, causing it to fail to focus properly.

Hmmm... actually possible, but I thought I saw some 'double imaging' at the bus diagram...

Status
Not open for further replies.