Newbie needs advice on getting lens.

syamimgreenboy

Oct 31, 2010
I have a Nikon D3000 and lens AF-S DX VR 18-55mm at the moment. I want to explore more with the lenses but have no clue on what is what or the uses. The next lens, that I plan to get I hope, is either a wide angle lens or a greater zoom lens than the current one i have. I seriously need advice on what to get next as a beginner. HELP! :confused:

I have a Nikon D3000 and lens AF-S DX VR 18-55mm at the moment. I want to explore more with the lenses but have no clue on what is what or the uses. The next lens, that I plan to get I hope, is either a wide angle lens or a greater zoom lens than the current one i have. I seriously need advice on what to get next as a beginner. HELP! :confused:

Before you get a new lens, you should ask yourself what you want to shoot, get the lens that you need. Also, how is your kit lens limiting you?

Maybe u can try getting AF-S DX Zoom 55-200mm f/4-5.6 G ED
Zooming lens.
Well, i'm a newbie too! haha.
I'm getting one of this too... But no moneyyyy~~~ *CRYS*

Before you get a new lens, you should ask yourself what you want to shoot, get the lens that you need. Also, how is your kit lens limiting you?

Just wanna explore new lenses. I plan to shoot landscape, or street photography. :)

Just wanna explore new lenses. I plan to shoot landscape, or street photography. :)

Have you tried shooting landscape with your 18-55? If you have tried and find that you need something wider then you can get an ultra wide angle, if not, try it and see how it works for you:) For street shooting, the kit lens works fine, just in the range you need, if you want a shallower DOF, try the 50mm f1.8. Its inexpensive so its something you can experiment with.

Last edited:
i feel that 18-55 is wide enough to shoot most landscape...

Sure, can. It just costs you a nice amount of money. If you have it just go, buy, resell if you don't like. Alternatively you could rent lenses to see whether they are useful.
A few things:
- You don't learn the basics by buying lenses (or any other equipment).
- You will not get better pictures from buying equipment.
- Without a decent knowledge about the basics you will not achieve better pictures.
Stick to your kit lens and explore it's capabilities. Spend more time on reading about composition.

For street shooting, the kit lens works fine, just in the range you need, if you want a shallower DOF, try the 50mm f1.8. Its inexpensive so its something you can experiment with.
Except that it won't AF on his d3000. Not too sure if a beginner would enjoy messing around with manual focus that much lol.

i personally feel the 35mm AFS 1.8g is more useful for all-around usage

Except that it won't AF on his d3000. Not too sure if a beginner would enjoy messing around with manual focus that much lol.

i personally feel the 35mm AFS 1.8g is more useful for all-around usage

Hmm manual focus works really well with the f1.8 but true, TS might not like it. AFS 35mm might be easier for him

Cannot understand your logic. Buy lens when you are limited by your current kit lens. Your current kit lens can take wide angle landscape at 18mm or 35mm or 55mm street photography.

I have been shooting landscape/street photography/sports/portraits with my kit lens so I'm not sure why you need other lenses.:cool:

im having a 14-42mm kit lens from my panasonic. im thinking of exploring into telephoto lens as im having problem in getting close up shots. macro lens is too expensive to explore now and the telephoto lens seem to provide greater versatility.

is a 14-140mm suitable for my needs? will be bringing the lens for my travels too!

im having a 14-42mm kit lens from my panasonic. im thinking of exploring into telephoto lens as im having problem in getting close up shots. macro lens is too expensive to explore now and the telephoto lens seem to provide greater versatility.
is a 14-140mm suitable for my needs? will be bringing the lens for my travels too!
Have a careful look at the Minimum Focus Distance and magnification factor. You may also want to check in the macro forum. Simply a long focal length doesn't mean high magnification. If you need to stand 1m away your telephoto lens won't help much.

Have a careful look at the Minimum Focus Distance and magnification factor. You may also want to check in the macro forum. Simply a long focal length doesn't mean high magnification. If you need to stand 1m away your telephoto lens won't help much.

the min focus distance of my std kit is 30cm, and zoom wise is 3x. so i thought 10x will make a difference as it brings me 'closer' to the subject, even if focal length is the same? :think:

the min focus distance of my std kit is 30cm, and zoom wise is 3x. so i thought 10x will make a difference as it brings me 'closer' to the subject, even if focal length is the same? :think:

I think you need to read up on your basics, how close you can get to the subject depends on focusing distance and focal length. How many times zoom actually doesn't really apply in DSLRs. If you are at the same distance, using same focal length and same camera, the picture you would get is the same "closeness".

I think you need to read up on your basics, how close you can get to the subject depends on focusing distance and focal length. How many times zoom actually doesn't really apply in DSLRs. If you are at the same distance, using same focal length and same camera, the picture you would get is the same "closeness".

yes, i think i didnt make myself clearer and i do understand your point. ;p

i was trying to ask, at the same focus distance, will a 140mm focal length brings me 'closer' to a subject say at 45mm focal length?

yes, i think i didnt make myself clearer and i do understand your point. ;p

i was trying to ask, at the same focus distance, will a 140mm focal length brings me 'closer' to a subject say at 45mm focal length?

Yes it will, take your kit lens for example. The subject seems closer at 42mm compared to 14mm. Same concept applies for 140mm and 45mm.:)

Sure. But that won't help much. If the minimum focus distance of the long lens is 1m or more (which is normal for long lenses), then this will offset all gains from longer focal length. You need to stand farther away. In the end, the magnification might even be lower than with your kit lens.
Read, compare: http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

Last edited:
hey i was in the same boat as you abt a yr ago. your kit lens works fine....until u try other lenses. i fell in :heart: with the 17-55 f2.8 i rented from camerarental. this is my most favourite lens. but this lens is quite ex, unless ur willing to go for 3rd party lens
(sigma, tamron etc). as d3000 is an entry level, i would suggest u get the basics of photography such as ur aperture,shutter speed iso etc etc. by then, trust me on this, u would not only want to upgrade your lens but also ur body. now im saving up for d300. but then again this is just IMO. for upgrades, try the 50mm f1.4/1.8 or the 24-70mm (sigma lens) if u do not want to have a big hole in ur pockets. gd luck!;)

You can try some filters to add special effect, eg ND

If you can move some steps back to add more view into your photo. Dont just depend on len. My 2cent