newbie needs advice on external flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcake

Jul 16, 2004
The Western Frontiers
Can someone help a newbie with external flash selection? I have a nikon F100. I noticed when people ask about flash, they specify what nikon model they have. Are there that many kinds of flashes? I need one that's good enough for weddings (outdoor and indoor). Helping to take my bro-in-laws wedding pics in a couple of months. thank you thank you thank you!

Hi,

There are a whole lot of different flashes you could use with your F100. Check out this link for a comparison of features of Nikon speedlights that will work with your camera - the latest ones are the SB-800 and SB-600, but the other will work just as well with your camera.

http://bythom.com/flashcompare.htm

Not a flash guru myself, so maybe someone else can advise on which one for you to get for your F100.

If you have absolutely no intention of buying a DSLR, any (SB25,26,28/DX,80DX) will do nicely with hardly any difference in performance among them.

If you have thoughts of going the DSLR route in the near future, just directly opt for the SB800.

For wedding duties, consider only these high powered models as smaller flashes may not suffice in terms of output and recycle rate.

yup go sb 800 for long term, if you gonna go dslr

Sorry to interrupt peeps, but I have the D70 and would like to know the difference between the SB600 and the SB800. What will I miss if I just get the more affordable SB600?

benedium said:
Sorry to interrupt peeps, but I have the D70 and would like to know the difference between the SB600 and the SB800. What will I miss if I just get the more affordable SB600?

SB600 doesn't have commander mode, so if you have it mounted on your camera - won't be able to control remote wireless flashes, with SB-800 you can control up to three groups of wireless flashes.

SB800 has built-in bounce card (won't miss this much as you can make your own for SB600), SB800 comes with diffusion dome, different gel pads for different lighting conditions (these can be purchased seperatley for SB600)

shortcake said:
Can someone help a newbie with external flash selection? I have a nikon F100. I noticed when people ask about flash, they specify what nikon model they have. Are there that many kinds of flashes? I need one that's good enough for weddings (outdoor and indoor). Helping to take my bro-in-laws wedding pics in a couple of months. thank you thank you thank you!
I have a spare SB80DX.. will bring along on Friday to let you try...
Bascially for the F100, the SB80DX is all u need... but if you're planning to upgrade to DSLR, then it makes sense to get the SB600/800

willyfoo said:
I have a spare SB80DX.. will bring along on Friday to let you try...
Bascially for the F100, the SB80DX is all u need... but if you're planning to upgrade to DSLR, then it makes sense to get the SB600/800

COOL, THANKS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.