Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainbowcsl

Jan 28, 2007
Hi,

I am currently using Canon S3 but felt very limited by it. Thus, I have decided to move on to DSLR and at the moment is considering a Nikon D80 this year. I will be into this hobby for long and would need some advise.

a) Tempted to get a D200 instead but is it worth the extra $$?
b) I will be into portrait, closeup shots (eg. animals, bugs) landscape and casual shooting, eg. special occassions, holidays overseas.
Is there a one size fits all lens? Or do I need different lenses for different usage?
c) If I get D80, should I get the one with the kit lens too? Or just get the body and buy the lenses that will suit my purposes.

Need advise. Thanx! :)

C.S

D200 has very good review. but you got to check and compare the specs to see if you need the better features. both have bright large viewfinder, D200 is heavier but have more buttons for control, D80 is newer with some function such as d-lighting. yah, u got to check it out or wait for better reply as i'm only a D50 user.

b) I will be into portrait, closeup shots (eg. animals, bugs) landscape and casual shooting, eg. special occassions, holidays overseas.
Is there a one size fits all lens? Or do I need different lenses for different usage?

no. different lens for different usage. that is the purpose of DSLR v.s. DSLR-shaped fixed large lens prosumer.

c) If I get D80, should I get the one with the kit lens too? Or just get the body and buy the lenses that will suit my purposes.

kit lens is meant for those who ain't sure what lenses to buy and wanted to start shooting to feel what they want.

it is a good range. you can however consider not holding it if

1. you intend to extend the range further with a 18-200mm VRII at $1250-1350, then no point getting this kit lens with a large overlap. i sold off my 18-55 when i got a 18-200.

2. you are sure u do not need a zoom with such a long range and wanted to go straight into individual lens with very specific short range.

wide angle for landscape. 16-35mm should be a good range
zoom or fixed lens for portraiture, 28-70mm, 70-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 105mm, 135mm, 180/200mm etc

YMMV

For portrait, why are some of the lens recommended having quite great difference?
Eg. 50mm, 105mm etc.

Is it again different sizes for different usage in portrait?

Thanx!

Hi,

I am currently using Canon S3 but felt very limited by it. Thus, I have decided to move on to DSLR and at the moment is considering a Nikon D80 this year. I will be into this hobby for long and would need some advise.

Need advise. Thanx! :)

C.S

Hi, i was a ex-canon S2Is user and i share your "limited" feel of the prosumer. Since you are already considering the D80 or D200, my suggestion is this:

D80 body - really lighter for prolonged handheld situation and more energy saving than D200.
Primary lenses to get:
Nikon 18-200VR for all purpose shoot ( priority)
Nikon 105mm VR micro for close-up and macro
Sigma 10-20mm for wide angle
2x teleconvertor for extending range

Secondary lens - When you turn pro and sells your photos for living:
Nikon 17-55mm F2.8for wedding photography (get paid)
Nikon 70-200mm VR F2.8 for sports coverage (get paid)
Nikon 85mm f2 for portrait studio or model shoot (get paid)

My personal opinion cos i dun think i need a superb crystal sharp photo for own keeping :sweat:

Alternatively, get the D80+ 18-135 kit lens to get yourself started first (sell the kit lens later at 300-400 should you decide to upgrade a year later!).

:sweatsm:

I was reading the review and he said that 18-200mm VR is all he needs now.
How is this compared to 70-200mm?? I know for one is the price but what else?

I was reading the review and he said that 18-200mm VR is all he needs now.
How is this compared to 70-200mm?? I know for one is the price but what else?

The 70-200 will not allow you to shoot indoors where you are usually quite near to your subject. It will also not be wide enough for you to take architectural shots. These are all possible with 18-70mm coverage on the 18-200mm that's missing on the other lens.

:)

Some how I feel that threadstarter, by asking those questions, is not ready for a DSLR system yet.

Some how I feel that threadstarter, by asking those questions, is not ready for a DSLR system yet.

need license to buy camera? :bsmilie:

With all the auto stuff that comes with today's dslrs, anyone with enough money is ready for a dslr system. Being able to capitalize on what he has bought to capture better picts is a different story. And if that still doesn't satisfy him, he can always call on some photoshop guru to doctor the pict to his satisfaction and claim it as his own work.

Totally disagree with your comment, if I read it literally!

Who is ready for tml? But we are all not that worrying, right?

buy canon...dun buy nikon...cause canon is trusted by professional...

The 70-200 will not allow you to shoot indoors where you are usually quite near to your subject. It will also not be wide enough for you to take architectural shots. These are all possible with 18-70mm coverage on the 18-200mm that's missing on the other lens.

:)

who say 70-200 cannot shoot indoor when you are near the subject...its depend on what u are shooting and framing...

who say 70-200 cannot shoot indoor when you are near the subject...its depend on what u are shooting and framing...

Of course you can take close-ups and macros indoors with the 70-200. I was talking about general shots like group shots, sorry if I was unclear. Try taking a group shot in an average-sized room with the 70-200, you may need to move back at least 10m away from your subjects but you can't...

buy canon...dun buy nikon...cause canon is trusted by professional...

And who says nikon is not trusted by professional...

What's wrong with asking questions and advise from those more experienced than me???
Precisely that I am new to DSLR, I am asking and clarifying before making a decision. There is always more to be learnt....

Hi people, i am a newbie. but i think both canon and nikon are good, won't go wrong with anyone of them. the impt thing is that u must like ur equipment.

Hi TS, what is ur budget for your system? I guess this is a very impt factor in deciding the stuff in his/her arsenal. I feel that in dSLRs, lenses are everything... just my opinion, some may not agree with me i know.

dSLR has its limitations compared to a proconsumer. And overcoming those limitations may mean big bucks and heavy weight... I still miss those days where I can use my S9500 to shoot easily (using the tilt-able LCD) at all sort of awkward angles, without having myself to go into those awkward angles...

HELP!!! :eek: I'm being swayed by the D80 :lovegrin: Can anyone tell me whether the AF-S DX 18 - 135 mm F3.5 - F5.6G ED Kit lens is good enuf for Friends & Holiday shoot? Thanks ya. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.