Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's wrong with asking questions and advise from those more experienced than me???
Precisely that I am new to DSLR, I am asking and clarifying before making a decision. There is always more to be learnt....

My advise is to go to the library and read up more before posting more questions. This is the same as in the working world, nobody will give you fast answers, you have to put in an effort first! :nono:

Just my views :)

No offense!

Some how I feel that threadstarter, by asking those questions, is not ready for a DSLR system yet.

Come on, everyone has to start somewhere. I remember like 3 to 4 years ago, when a friend sold me his DSLR (after much convincing that I need one), I didn't even know how to mount the lens :embrass:

I beg to differ. This is a newbies' corner, mind you. If one is too offended with newbies' question, he has the option to stop coming into this corner of the forum. This is what i think. Why get upset with newbies' question in newbies' corner?:dunno:

My advise is to go to the library and read up more before posting more questions. This is the same as in the working world, nobody will give you fast answers, you have to put in an effort first! :nono:

No offense!

No offense!

Bro, give chance to newbies leh ... I read & read still blur. I put 101% effort but when come to experience with equipments, I no hab. Sorry ya ... no offense and thanks all in advance for guidance in future. :thumbsup: :lovegrin:

:thumbsup:

My company's policy is to go into a business even if we are not ready, just get it and start doing it. When you are ready, you miss the boat.....so, keen to learn is the key....just like hiring fresh graduate, are they ready for the job? Never. Just like going into a university, are the fresh student ready? Never. Not ready for something new and difficult is an excuse not to do it...

Just what I think about readiness to embark into something new.

Come on, everyone has to start somewhere. I remember like 3 to 4 years ago, when a friend sold me his DSLR (after much convincing that I need one), I didn't even know how to mount the lens :embrass:

I beg to differ. This is a newbies' corner, mind you. If one is too offended with newbies' question, he has the option to stop coming into this corner of the forum. This is what i think. Why get upset with newbies' question in newbies' corner?:dunno:

Yo bro, i dun think anybody is offended or upset. Peace!

Hi,

I am currently using Canon S3 but felt very limited by it. Thus, I have decided to move on to DSLR and at the moment is considering a Nikon D80 this year. I will be into this hobby for long and would need some advise.

a) Tempted to get a D200 instead but is it worth the extra $$?
b) I will be into portrait, closeup shots (eg. animals, bugs) landscape and casual shooting, eg. special occassions, holidays overseas.
Is there a one size fits all lens? Or do I need different lenses for different usage?
c) If I get D80, should I get the one with the kit lens too? Or just get the body and buy the lenses that will suit my purposes.

Need advise. Thanx! :)

C.S

Hi Rainbowcsl, btw what was the limitation with the S3 may i ask? :dunno:

What's wrong with asking questions and advise from those more experienced than me???
Precisely that I am new to DSLR, I am asking and clarifying before making a decision. There is always more to be learnt....

i think you may have misunderstood his intention.

DSLR is a huge investment especially when you are already considering to buy a non entry level camera body and non-kit lens. he is just worried that if you have yet to got to know the fundamental differences between DSLR and non-DSLR, you may plunge into a buy based on incomplete information from other forumers. information can't be complete becos there is just so much to cover.

it took me a very long time to learn too.

This is fair statement. Best is to stick with the kit lens, and a 50mm prime (good for learning composition with a prime, which makes you move around to recompose, then can appreciate the zoom better). Later than decide what to buy.:) Anyway the kit lens is selling at $420 (the last few is sold with this price) in the B&S, so not too bad to play with it first.:)

DSLR is a huge investment especially when you are already considering to buy a non entry level camera body and non-kit lens. he is just worried that if you have yet to got to know the fundamental differences between DSLR and non-DSLR, you may plunge into a buy based on incomplete information from other forumers. information can't be complete becos there is just so much to cover.

Not sure about the focus part u r talking about but yes the lowlight is a problem for this camera.

Cons for me: start-up speed, focusing speed and noise in lowlight - This eventually leads me to the Nikon D50 :bsmilie:

However, it should be one of the top prosumer cam with the super-macro mode.

Pros: Video recording, 4AA batt, IS, super-macro, extension tubes for add-ons, sweivel LCD, manual control......

:)

Hi,

I am currently using Canon S3 but felt very limited by it. Thus, I have decided to move on to DSLR and at the moment is considering a Nikon D80 this year. I will be into this hobby for long and would need some advise.

a) Tempted to get a D200 instead but is it worth the extra $$?
b) I will be into portrait, closeup shots (eg. animals, bugs) landscape and casual shooting, eg. special occassions, holidays overseas.
Is there a one size fits all lens? Or do I need different lenses for different usage?
c) If I get D80, should I get the one with the kit lens too? Or just get the body and buy the lenses that will suit my purposes.

Need advise. Thanx! :)

C.S

I got D80 and have not regretted since then. D200 has features like all-weather seal and metal body. It can meter with the old manual nikon lenses but D80 cannot (but for the bulk of amateur users, me included, we dun use manual lenses anyway!). D200 5fps vs 3fps in D80, etc, etc. U can compare them at nikon's website and choose the 2 cams for comparison.

A good all-in-one lens is the 18-200mm VR, which i bought. not fantastic, but the range and quality is acceptable to many pros. so if it's good enuf for the pros, it's good enuf for me. i suggest u give the kit lens a miss, and get the D80 body with the 18-200mm VR. Downside is that it is not a fast lens, since the widest aperture is 3.5, and it closes more as u zoom. But u can up the iso, and D80 has quite good noise control. And can edit after that also using software, so weigh the pros and cons of the lens before deciding.

HELP!!! :eek: I'm being swayed by the D80 :lovegrin: Can anyone tell me whether the AF-S DX 18 - 135 mm F3.5 - F5.6G ED Kit lens is good enuf for Friends & Holiday shoot? Thanks ya. :bsmilie:

Quality wise, I think it's good enuf. Range a little short. If u have been to places, u'll realise that those who tell u to "walk closer to subject lah" are talking nonsense because u just can't jump across the grand canyon (u can try :sweat: ) and take pics at the other side.

Also, at 135mm, your hands must be really steady leh, otherwise handshake will be magnified as well! I suggest getting 18-200mm VR (which I did) and that's it. Wide enuf for most situations, long enuf, steady enuf!:lovegrin:

Thank you all who have responded.......

I have done my share of research before posting here. Of course, in a world that has so much of advanced technology, I want to have an accelerated learning curve by posting questions here and learning from all of you. Reading is one thing but hearing from people who have experience is another. It adds depth to the research that you have done. And also with busy schedule that all of us have, of course I would hope to have my learning curve up and up quickly.....;)

Also, I hope to purchase it before the GST goes up in July.......:bsmilie:

Another question: Do you guys who use nikon or canon DSLR use its built in flash or external flash that is mounted during shooting? Again I gather that it depends on the situation of shooting, but what are the limitation of such built in flash?

Thank you for explaining in this manner. I appreciate it!!!:thumbsup:

Quality wise, I think it's good enuf. Range a little short. If u have been to places, u'll realise that those who tell u to "walk closer to subject lah" are talking nonsense because u just can't jump across the grand canyon (u can try :sweat: ) and take pics at the other side.

Also, at 135mm, your hands must be really steady leh, otherwise handshake will be magnified as well! I suggest getting 18-200mm VR (which I did) and that's it. Wide enuf for most situations, long enuf, steady enuf!:lovegrin:

Thanks ... thot of the 18-200 VR. What's the price like now?

Thanks all you guys for the advice ... getting a clearer pic now. :thumbsup: :lovegrin:

From my experience, I was a DSLR noob and got more knowledgable only after getting my DSLR..
So for you I think you should just get the D80 with either the kit or the 18-200 if u can afford it...
After that go out and shoot with your cam, and you'll slowly learn more about the technicalities and hences find out what you need...

Status
Not open for further replies.