Newbie need Mirrorless Advice

Newbied

Mar 10, 2016
SG
Hi pros.
I am TOTALLY new to camera.
The only "camera" that I ever own is my phone.

Hopefully I can get some advice from expert users like yourself. :)

Im looking for something with the below specification:
.Easy to use function (I'll probably end up using only auto/scenery/video function)
.Portable, smaller the better
.Adjustable LCD screen for selfie
.Take clear video (1080p) with high fps (min 8fps)
.Builtin flash
.Long Battery life
.Portable stock lens, not bulky
Take clear video (1080p) with high fps (min 8fps)

Budget anything below $1200
Im not considering digital cam or DSLR. Just mirrorless cam. :)

Just FYI because Im getting married so Im thinking of getting a good mirrorless cam for all future use.

Thanks alot in advance.

Not too sure about your requirement "Take clear video (1080p) with high fps (min 8fps)", are you referring to taking photos at >8fps, or take video at high fps which is higher than the usual 30fps?

If you need to take photos at >8fps, that helps narrow down your available choices. Otherwise any of the major camera manufacturers' mirrorless interchangeable lens camera body + kit lens can can meet most people's requirements. Just need to go down to IT Show happening now to see which one looks the nicest and easy enough for you to use (then support the organisers and buy straigtaway, or go to the usual camera shops and get it at a better price heh...)

Actually if you want 'smaller the better' do consider an advanced digital compact camera, since you don't sound like you want to buy more lenses. Some of them may be even better than the basic mirrorless camera bodies + kit lens combination. Examples are like the Sony RX100 series, Canon G5X / G7X series and Panasonic LX100.

Happy shopping :)

Im getting married so Im thinking of getting a good mirrorless cam for all future use.

Thanks alot in advance.

TS the answer is simple. She gets to pick it out which camera she wants...hahaha :)

Hi pros.
I am TOTALLY new to camera.
The only "camera" that I ever own is my phone.

Hopefully I can get some advice from expert users like yourself. :)

Im looking for something with the below specification:
.Easy to use function (I'll probably end up using only auto/scenery/video function)
.Portable, smaller the better
.Adjustable LCD screen for selfie
.Take clear video (1080p) with high fps (min 8fps)
.Builtin flash
.Long Battery life
.Portable stock lens, not bulky
Take clear video (1080p) with high fps (min 8fps)

Budget anything below $1200
Im not considering digital cam or DSLR. Just mirrorless cam. :)

Just FYI because Im getting married so Im thinking of getting a good mirrorless cam for all future use.

Thanks alot in advance.

Hi, can you define what you mean by "long battery life"?

I would recommend OM-D E-M10 Mark II kit(won't meet the selfie requirement) or E-PL7 kit by Olympus for your budget.
Enjoy! :D

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/e-m10-mark-ii.html
http://www.olympusimage.com.sg/product/dslr/epl7/

Last edited:
I have Olympus 12-40mm pro lens, should I go for 45mm f1.8??

Not too sure about your requirement "Take clear video (1080p) with high fps (min 8fps)", are you referring to taking photos at >8fps, or take video at high fps which is higher than the usual 30fps?

If you need to take photos at >8fps, that helps narrow down your available choices. Otherwise any of the major camera manufacturers' mirrorless interchangeable lens camera body + kit lens can can meet most people's requirements. Just need to go down to IT Show happening now to see which one looks the nicest and easy enough for you to use (then support the organisers and buy straigtaway, or go to the usual camera shops and get it at a better price heh...)

Actually if you want 'smaller the better' do consider an advanced digital compact camera, since you don't sound like you want to buy more lenses. Some of them may be even better than the basic mirrorless camera bodies + kit lens combination. Examples are like the Sony RX100 series, Canon G5X / G7X series and Panasonic LX100.

Happy shopping :)

Hi, thanks for the advice. I will definitely head down to the IT Fair tmr.

As for fps, I am refering to video. I am not very tech savvy myself. But I am assuming higher fps will mean smoother and clearer video. Hence, I am looking at mirrorless camera that can take smooth and clear video.

Hi, thanks for the advice.

Seems like a few of the pro is recommending Olympus EPl7 kit. I will definitely take a look at the camera tmr at the fair. Thanks!

While a husband is expected to last for a lifetime, the same cannot be expected from any digital equipment ;)