Newbie need help

stopwaiting

Nov 28, 2009
Hi all, i just bought a canon 1000D and it comes with a kit lense. So now lets say i wanna change a lense to a high or super zoom kind of lense. which model should i get? i usually wanna take scenery shots and i like zoom in shots. Thanks in advance.

Have you explored your kit lens yet?

Shoot with your current lens for maybe a month or two, then you will really know what lens is suitable for you.

And then come back to CS and seek advice on what is holding you back on getting that picture right..

Last edited:
Hi all, i just bought a canon 1000D and it comes with a kit lense. So now lets say i wanna change a lense to a high or super zoom kind of lense. which model should i get? i usually wanna take scenery shots and i like zoom in shots. Thanks in advance.
I suggest holding on to your money and get acquainted with your kit lens first. It is a very good starting point and the IQ is pretty incredible for something so cheap.

Anyway if you decide to get a superzoom, the Tamron 18-270 is a popular choice because of its zoom and VC (Tamron's form of IS).

Since you are taking scenery, why not you try everything you can with your kit lens first before deciding if you need the zoom. Who knows, you might end up wanting to buy an ultra wide angle.

ok. thanks for the suggestions. so does anyone knows any website that is good for beginner to read up regarding using of camera and information about lenses? i have search some, but still don't quite understand single focal length and variable focal length and stuff. how much is the zoom equivalent to 35mm digital camera and stuff.

You may look up The-Digital-Picture.com.
For scenery, i would recommend EF-s 10-22mm; while for zoom in, I would recommend EF 70-200mm f/4 (non IS). Some say the EF-S 55-250mm is also good, but I have not experience with it so not recommending.

ok. thanks for the suggestions. so does anyone knows any website that is good for beginner to read up regarding using of camera and information about lenses? i have search some, but still don't quite understand single focal length and variable focal length and stuff. how much is the zoom equivalent to 35mm digital camera and stuff.

Hi there's a guide section in this newbie section you should visit and checkout those articles :)

Alternately you should go to the library nd pick up a book , for starters it Should explain in sufficient detail le .

Most information are a available on the internet. Zoom is term that is used in the pns domain , dslr don't have zoom per se but the reach is determined by the lens you use.

The crop factor of your 1000d should be 1.6 . So if you have a 100mm lens , your image will be a crop of your 100mm as if you are using a 160mm lens

if money is a concern.... i'll highly recommend canon 55-250mm IS...
2nd hand around $300...
great Image Quality... affordable..light weight... n u will appreciate the IS fo tele usage.. probably anything from 70mm onward etc..:)

if you just bought the camera, just stick with the kit lens... don't look down on the kit lens...

by saying that you immediately want to upgrade and buy sth else is just showing that you don't know anything yet...

only by mastering or knowing how to use the camera and kit lens then will you know what suits u better next time... i stayed with kit lens for 1 year and a half...

don;t spend money for fun....

Have you even bothered reading this forum here? You are in photography forum with plenty of sticky threads with advices, newbies guides and lots of specialized sections and you still ask for spoonfeeding? How do you want to take pictures with your eyes closed? :dunno:
Here a big spoon, please return properly washed:
Photography Notes for newbies
Guide to DSLR photography

why do you want to change?

when you are shooting right now, what are you unhappy about?