Newbie need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil231

Sep 30, 2008
Singapore, Singapore
i just borrowed a camera from my friend ..(Conon Eos 1000D) i was wondering what is P , Tv , AV, M and A-DEP..????and whts AF mode .and metering mode. i wanna know the camera b4 i take pictures of cars tomorrow

i just borrowed a camera from my friend ..(Conon Eos 1000D) i was wondering what is P , Tv , AV, M and A-DEP..????and whts AF mode .and metering mode. i wanna know the camera b4 i take pictures of cars tomorrow

I believe the manual will have the meaning. Sorry can't help as I am using another brand.

P-Program AE

Tv-Shutter Priority

Av-Aperture Priority

M-Manual

AF-Auto Focus

Wow.. it's gonna take 10 lessons of 2 hours each, 500 pages of a 'How to..' book, and lots of practice to convey the true meanings of these. Haha.. but of course, I am just pulling your leg, pardon me.
But maybe let me briefly explain:

P (Program mode) - the camera automatically sets exposure with the appropriate shutter speed & aperture. You need do nothing. But in case you want to, you can change the aperture (using the dial on top) and the shutter speed changes correspondingly so exposure remains good.
Tv (Sutter speed priority mode) - you set your desired shutter speed, and camera sets aperture for you. This is important when you want to take moving subjects & you want to keep shutter speed at say, 1/80 or faster.
Av (Aperture priority mode) - you set the aperture, camera sets shutter speed for you. Good to use when you take portrait shots when you want a narrow depth of field (background all blur) whle subject remains sharp. Only problem is - the shutter speed that the camera set can be really slow. So you got to have steady hands or use a tripod.
M (Manual mode) - you set everything. Camera bo chaps you. Whether it turns out good or bad is your own doing. Best to avoid, if you are not familiar with this borrowed camera.
A-Dep (Automatic Depth of field) - the camera automatically set eyes on your focused subject and sets a suitable aperture fo you so that everything (subject, foreground and background) all are in focus.
If really cannot - just set the camera at Auto (the green box mode) and it will automatically set everything for you.

AF - just means Autofocus. Keep it that way. The lens will autofocus on the subject.
Metering mode (Evaluative, partial, spot metering, centre weighted) - for ease of use, for your purpose of snapping cars - just keep it at Evaluative. If there is lots of surrounding background in the pircture, with the car occupying part of the photo in the centre, then use centre weighted.

I do not claim to be an expert. But last minute bo bian lor.. these are what I can share with you. Hope it makes things a little clearer. For me, I use Pogram mode with Partial metering and of course, at AF.

Metering Mode

• Evaluative 35-zone
• Partial 9% at center
• Center-weighted average

Status
Not open for further replies.