newbie need help on image sharpness

davidnn99

May 22, 2009
hi, i am using EF-S 55-250 to get some flower shots. focus on flower but notice the objects next to it is blur, but further one seems sharp. is there something wrong with the lens ?

second picture - seems abit soft. any comments ? what can i do to improve sharpness ? thanks for your help :)

orange3.JPG

pink5.JPG

For tiny flower, use Spot Focusing.

For a flower that fills the center of frame, use Center Weighted Focusing.

If picture is soft, you can increase the in-camera Saturation

Use a tripod if you do not have steady hands.

Also read up Depth Of Field (DOF)

Note: Different manufacturer use different names for their focusing system.

Last edited:
you will get movement of subject with the lightest of breezes.... and if you shot this handheld, it doubles the headache

you need to work on metering as well .... the scene in both images look harsh and over by about 1.5 stops

best of luck !

You need to understand also the relation between the aperture you are shooting at and it's result on the depth of field. Shooting at a large aperture at a long focal length will make it hard for you to keep everything in focus, and that might answer why you see that the objects next to the flower aren't in focus.

1. Use the correct aperture
2. Focus correctly
3. Do not move
4. Shoot

hi, i am using EF-S 55-250 to get some flower shots. focus on flower but notice the objects next to it is blur, but further one seems sharp. is there something wrong with the lens ?
second picture - seems abit soft. any comments ? what can i do to improve sharpness ? thanks for your help :)
It dosen't really matter which lens you use, but please do yourself a favor. Try to understand the functions of the camera that help take a picture. Like how does an aperture work with focusing (DOF), with shutter speed & with exposure. Also elements of nature plays a part.
Go & read up some books on flower photography & one of the important read is the camera's manual.
Happy reading & happy shooting ;)

hmmm... isn't spot & center weighted metering rather than focusing? :dunno:

hmmm... isn't spot & center weighted metering rather than focusing? :dunno:

You must read up all about Focusing and Metering Mode. They are two different things.

I did a google and I didn't get any result of any camera system having Center Weighted Focusing mode. And what the hell does saturation got to do with sharpness?

hi there, i also just started photography not long ago.. jus sharing a lil of my knowledge..
you can try searching center weighted average.. your camera hav metering mode?
btw wad camera re u using?

I did a google and I didn't get any result of any camera system having Center Weighted Focusing mode. And what the hell does saturation got to do with sharpness?

thanks all the sifus for the tips. will read up and try it next time. the pics were taken hand held. dont know much about metering and have a slight understanding of DOF.

and i am using 500D, no flash in bright daylight., using aperture priority

I suggested increasing the saturation because TS says his/her picture looks soft.

Last edited:
Care to show the source for these terms? So far I came across Spot Metering, Center Weighted Metering and others.. (e.g. Matrix metering). And then there is focusing: One Shot, Continuous Focusing (Canon: AI Servo) using either the center AF point or any other AF point or even a group of AF points.
It's nice that you want to help but please use the correct terms and definitions, otherwise you just spread confusion.

Last edited:
Okay it's Center AF and not Center-Weighted AF.

Agree, it's important to use the right terminology.

Last edited:

Try google for DOF.
Basically the "further one" appears to be in the same plane as the flower your focusing is on, so it will be within the DOF (i.e sharp)
The "next to it" is blur:
most prob as it is on another plane and out of the depth for your chosen aperture
or/and it is slightly moving.

2nd image, help yourself by shooting on a tripod. If you want to learn, experiment to shoot at different shutter speed to familiarize yourself at what shutter speed you need to freeze yr subjects.

Any do note the difference bet Focusing, Metering, Softness and Saturation

Cheers

Do you even know what you're talking about??? :sweat::sweat:

Do you even know what you're talking about??? :sweat::sweat:

Yes, I did use the wrong terminology center-weighted focusing instead of center focusing.

So enjoy and rub it in.

if you are using AI-servo mode, the camera may tend to off-focus occasionally.. especially if the subject is moving (or in low light).. the flowers in 2nd pics tend to move a lot even with little wind.. so you might want to check again the AF mode also..
1st picture seems fine to my eyes.. the blurred ones are due to DOF..

Last edited: