Newbie need help in Equipment check for fungus

AnthonyFrancis

Nov 7, 2010
Hi,

I have just purchased a new Dry Cabinet.
Currently, I have a G11, a compact camera and a couple of underwater housings and an underwater strobes.
Was thinking of putting them all into the dry cabinet after I purchase my new DSLR camera.
I have heard that fungus can spread from equipments that it has infested to the new equipment.

I am not sure how to check for fungus growth on my G11, compact camera & strobes.
Can someone advise?

And will putting the old and new equipments together introduce fungus growth to my new camera?

Appreciate if someone can provide some advise.

Regards,

Anthony :)

wah you all terrible la... scare newbie :)

Anthony, don't need to be over-paranoid with fungus spreading. The spores are EVERYWHERE. Placing the camera in dry environment will inhibit their growth, that's all.

If fungus growth is not major, it will be hard to spot.
Then again if fungus growth is minimal, no need to sweat too much about it :) Use your equipment more! :)

Hi Zerocool,

Assuming that one of my equipment has a fungus growth, by putting the old & new equipment in the same dry cabinet, will it spread to the rest of the new equipment?
Appreciate if you can advise.

Regards,

Anthony, don't need to be over-paranoid with fungus spreading. The spores are EVERYWHERE. Placing the camera in dry environment will inhibit their growth, that's all.

Then again if fungus growth is minimal, no need to sweat too much about it :) Use your equipment more! :)

Hi Zerocool,

Assuming that one of my equipment has a fungus growth, by putting the old & new equipment in the same dry cabinet, will it spread to the rest of the new equipment?
Appreciate if you can advise.

Regards,

What I can say is that you are increasing the chance of more fungus spores getting into your new lens. Like ZCA said, use your lenses more. As observed, often used lens or equipment tends not to have fungus growing in it. If really KS, ziploc all your lens before putting into the cabinet. Wash your hand with soap and dry them properly before touching any new lens. :p

PS. Ignore my last 2 sentences if you get what I mean.

in my opinion. the chances of fungus to spread in the cabinet is very slim. The idea of having the cabinet is provide a condition where fungus find it hard to grow. In this case, putting the infected lens into the cabinet will serve to inhibit the growth of fungus.

The only way fungus will spread in such confined area is when your cabinet stop functioning properly.

Like others, dont be too paranoid over fungus, dust. If your picture is ok, just shoot away.

What I can say is that you are increasing the chance of more fungus spores getting into your new lens. Like ZCA said, use your lenses more. As observed, often used lens or equipment tends not to have fungus growing in it. If really KS, ziploc all your lens before putting into the cabinet. Wash your hand with soap and dry them properly before touching any new lens. :p

PS. Ignore my last 2 sentences if you get what I mean.

That will make fungus grow... they just love stale air. LOL.

And fungus do not spread as fast as you think....

It is not some alien growth meant to devour your lenses... ;)

That will make fungus grow... they just love stale air. LOL.

its just a means to quarantine the fungus infected lens. Forget to add this, throw in some silicones inside the ziploc.

its just a means to quarantine the fungus infected lens. Forget to add this, throw in some silicones inside the ziploc.

Do bake your sillica gel frequently. When they are blue, they are dry (good to use). Over time, they absorb moisture and turn pink. (presumably, if its in a dry box/cabinet, they shouldnt turn pink too soon. Check every 2 mths if ks.) When they turn pink, you should heat it. Ideally in an oven. I've tried it in a frying pan, but... Ok i shall not go into the details. Just know that it wasnt a very pleasant experience for me. But just use and oven or toaster. Frying pan/microwaves are a NONO.

Do bake your sillica gel frequently. When they are blue, they are dry (good to use). Over time, they absorb moisture and turn pink. (presumably, if its in a dry box/cabinet, they shouldnt turn pink too soon. Check every 2 mths if ks.) When they turn pink, you should heat it. Ideally in an oven. I've tried it in a frying pan, but... Ok i shall not go into the details. Just know that it wasnt a very pleasant experience for me. But just use and oven or toaster. Frying pan/microwaves are a NONO.

Not a good idea to bake blue/pink silica gel. It contains cobalt chloride and it is carcinogenic (cancer causing). In fact not a good idea to continue using blue-pink silica gel. And if you bake it in an oven, frying pan, toaster or microwave, I sure hope you are not using the same to cook your food.

http://cobaltchloride.net/

Last edited:

Mine turn pink in just 2 weeks. i just changed it did not want to heat it...:eek:

Not a good idea to bake blue/pink silica gel. It contains cobalt chloride and it is carcinogenic (cancer causing). In fact not a good idea to continue using blue-pink silica gel. And if you bake it in an oven, frying pan, toaster or microwave, I sure hope you are not using the same to cook your food.

Yes correct. My apologies, I forgot to mention. Yes, NEVER use the same heating source as the one for food. I use my friend's workshop's industrial oven. Additionally, I use vinyl gloves when handling them. I screwed my mum's flying pan heating them before and got into serious trouble because it was a new frying pan that cost a couple of hundred.

The website that you have quoted is unreliable. Generally, Cobalt chloride (CoCl2) is safe if not inhaled. According to the website, it says "Cobalt Chloride has been classified by IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer) in Group 2B. Which states Cobalt Chloride is possibly carcinogenic to humans."

Note that the claim is FAR overstated, looking from a scientific perspective (probably trying to promote the alternative products). Ramafi GJ, et al (2004), and several other journal publications have shown that while cobalt compounds, especially its hydrated dichloride have been known to cause cancer in animal tests, human results are inconclusive. From what I know, it has only been classified as such because of the cell physiological relationships and the link to humans is highly postuated (but unproven). Inhalation has been advised against. Then again, who is going to inhale sillica gel purposefully? LOL! In order to obtain the carcinogenic effect, you probably need to inhale over 1800g of sillica gel given that the CoCl2 content in the gel is relatively low - CoCl2 is added only to INDICATE the presence of water (as seen from via colour change from hydrated to anydrous form) not as a key ingredient.

In Singapore, if i'm not mistaken, the CoCl2 concentration must be below 130 ppm or so (cant quite recall the figure), EVEN in the sillica gel. This is so that even if babies ingest them, they are still relatively safe.

But yes, prolonged exposure may not be such a great idea (hence dry cabinets :D :D). Hmm... Maybe I should buy more sillica gel than reheating them XP.

Mine turn pink in just 2 weeks.

Oh? You're referring to inside a dry box/cabinet? Or in open air? Since singapore is very humid, normally over 85%... that wouldnt be surprising. I was actually referring to @coolthought's comment on placing drying agents INSIDE a dry cabinet. Mine stays blue for about half a year.

YThe website that you have quoted is unreliable. Generally, Cobalt chloride (CoCl2) is safe if not inhaled. According to the website, it says "Cobalt Chloride has been classified by IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer) in Group 2B. Which states Cobalt Chloride is possibly carcinogenic to humans."

Note that the claim is FAR overstated, looking from a scientific perspective (probably trying to promote the alternative products). Ramafi GJ, et al (2004), and several other journal publications have shown that while cobalt compounds, especially its hydrated dichloride have been known to cause cancer in animal tests, human results are inconclusive. From what I know, it has only been classified as such because of the cell physiological relationships and the link to humans is highly postuated (but unproven). Inhalation has been advised against. Then again, who is going to inhale sillica gel purposefully? LOL! In order to obtain the carcinogenic effect, you probably need to inhale over 1800g of sillica gel given that the CoCl2 content in the gel is relatively low - CoCl2 is added only to INDICATE the presence of water (as seen from via colour change from hydrated to anydrous form) not as a key ingredient.

In Singapore, if i'm not mistaken, the CoCl2 concentration must be below 130 ppm or so (cant quite recall the figure), EVEN in the sillica gel. This is so that even if babies ingest them, they are still relatively safe.

But yes, prolonged exposure may not be such a great idea (hence dry cabinets :D :D). Hmm... Maybe I should buy more sillica gel than reheating them XP.

I just grabbed first link from my google search.

But IARC did classify it as carcinogenic.

you can rationalize all you want. but it is your health, and your risk.

I just have to put the warning out there out there since you gave advice without specifically saying to not share blue/pink silica gel heating/baking equipment with food.

Personally I find dry cab cheaper in a long run, easier to handle and much more organized than boxes with silica gels. And it is safe..

You are free to take risks with your own life. But when giving advice to newbies who do not know better, it is also the responsible thing to do to also state the risks involved if there are any.

Sorry overlooked. Yeah, will take note ;)

Generally, Cobalt chloride (CoCl2) is safe if not inhaled. According to the website, it says "Cobalt Chloride has been classified by IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer) in Group 2B. Which states Cobalt Chloride is possibly carcinogenic to humans."

You sure you and your family are not inhaling any of this when you are heating it?

Thank you... Will heel the advise... :)

Thank you SVG84R :)

in my opinion. the chances of fungus to spread in the cabinet is very slim. The idea of having the cabinet is provide a condition where fungus find it hard to grow. In this case, putting the infected lens into the cabinet will serve to inhibit the growth of fungus.

The only way fungus will spread in such confined area is when your cabinet stop functioning properly.

Like others, dont be too paranoid over fungus, dust. If your picture is ok, just shoot away.