Newbie need help for digital photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yeoenghwee

Hi i am new to digital photography. This Xmas i have just recieved a Canon Powershot S30 as a present and have decided to settle down to learn some real photography. These are a few question that i would like to know:

1) What is Aperture and Exposure??
2) How can i take indoor photo and what are some better or common setting that i can take (Any guides) as it seems that i have tried to take some photo in shopping centre like casueway point or junction8 but the picture seems to be very dark
3) Ways to take night shots always seems to be blur. Is there any way to avoid the blurness beside buying a tripod??
4) What are the proper ways to take a night shots of a buildings like hotel and church???
5) What is the different between spot, evaluative and centre metering methods. In what case is each of them uses
6) Any sites that provides tutorial and training o uses a dgital camera.

Thanks to anyone who help would help me with my queries above. If possible can anyone with a canon S30 offers me some one to one tutorial. would offers a treats (Simple one no resturant please as i am current studying and working part time). Would appreciate as i am always interested in photography but no one to teach me. Even some friends does not really offers help as they are really busy. Hopefully some great friend in this forum can help me.

Regards,
Eng Hwee

my answer, may not be correct though. ;)

1). Aperture is the diameter of ur lens the light can pass through, and exposure is the combined effect of aperture and shutter speed, bigger the aperture and slower the shutter, u got more exposure.
2). try answer 4.
3). yah, u must buy a tripod, since the shutter is very slow, and there is no way u can freeze ur movement.
4). off the flash, and use a tripod, try.
5). metering is to check how much light there, so, the answer is where and how the camera meter the light.
6). no idea. :bsmilie:

Originally posted by yeoenghwee
Hi i am new to digital photography. This Xmas i have just recieved a Canon Powershot S30 as a present and have decided to settle down to learn some real photography. These are a few question that i would like to know:

1) What is Aperture and Exposure??
2) How can i take indoor photo and what are some better or common setting that i can take (Any guides) as it seems that i have tried to take some photo in shopping centre like casueway point or junction8 but the picture seems to be very dark
3) Ways to take night shots always seems to be blur. Is there any way to avoid the blurness beside buying a tripod??
4) What are the proper ways to take a night shots of a buildings like hotel and church???
5) What is the different between spot, evaluative and centre metering methods. In what case is each of them uses
6) Any sites that provides tutorial and training o uses a dgital camera.

Thanks to anyone who help would help me with my queries above. If possible can anyone with a canon S30 offers me some one to one tutorial. would offers a treats (Simple one no resturant please as i am current studying and working part time). Would appreciate as i am always interested in photography but no one to teach me. Even some friends does not really offers help as they are really busy. Hopefully some great friend in this forum can help me.

Regards,
Eng Hwee

Hello yeoenghwee,

First of all, welcome to Clubsnap, and hope that you'll enjoy learning photography as much as I do.

1) See here for a tutorial on the basics of photography. You might also want to consider borrowing some photography books from the library or buying some yourself.
2) A common mistake for newbies when taking night time landscape/scenary shots is to turn on the flash. This is fine if your subject is near and you employ slow sync flash for the background; otherwise the flash will not be powerful anough to fill the area and you pics will turn out dark. Try using a tripod and turn off the flash.
3) A tripod is essential for taking night shots. If you really don't have one with you, you can work around by putting you camera on other things eg. top of the car, table, chair, or any other steady object you can find. Don't forget to use a shutter string or timer to trigger the shutter release. You can also embrace you camera on things like lamp post, hold your breath and take the shot.
4) See (2) and (3).
5) See (1) under chapter 8.
6) See (1).

Hope that helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.