Newbie need advice (Prime Lens)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashboy00

Nov 30, 2009
I'm newbie just got myself Nikon D90 with kit lens last weekend. Thinking want to get prime lens. Need brother here advice which direction to go.
1) Nikon 50mm f1.8g
2) Nikon 50mm f1.4g
3) Sigma 50mm f1.4

go for 50mm 1.4

50mm 1.4 sigma or Nikon will do.. both give great result.

Great, thanks for the info. Now i need to decide either Nikon or Sigma lens.

U buy Nikon camera then try to stick to Nikon lens
Unless the 3rd party lens is from Carl Zeiss, Leica, then its a different story, haha..

Therefore if u r only limited to these 3 lens, I will choose 2) Nikon 50mm f1.4g if I am u

go for the Sigma, Nikon/1.4 has purple fringing. Bad sides, sigma is much bigger, heavier, a little more expensive and of course, you need to find the good one carefully.
I think you can still get Nikon 1.4D, the cheaper version if your camera has internal motor. I'd prefer this instead of the G version.

The NEW Sigma 50mm F1.4 is well-known for better performance than the Nikon 50mm F1.4. Thus price is even higher than the Nikon. The budget Nikon 50mm F1.8 is so cheap and good(pretty sharp) that most will not think twice about getting one unless you already have the budget for the Sigma or Nikon. Most value for money-50mm F1.8. Best Performance-Sigma.

After study for 2week, scale down to decide either 50mm f1.4D or 35mm f1.8G. Any brother use these two lens before? Can advice which to go for balance. Of course sharpness come in mind first.

After study for 2week, scale down to decide either 50mm f1.4D or 35mm f1.8G. Any brother use these two lens before? Can advice which to go for balance. Of course sharpness come in mind first.

The 50mm f/1.4 gives nicer bokeh, but the 35mm (to me at least) feels like the more useable focal length for a DX camera.

35mmf1.8dx?......it's a good lens and cost alot less than 50mmf1.4......

some shots taken with 35mmf1.8dx with d90 body:

4259359476_d3573cd36b_o.jpg

4259759754_95f2c55078_o.jpg

4259359680_14950d52b2_o.jpg

...still, the choice is yours! ....and enjoy yr photography.

Last edited:
Agree, i like the length of 35mm for DX body. Beside bokeh, actually these two lens which able shot sharp? Any idea?

It actually boils down to your needs. I've owned both the 50 1.8 and 35 1.8 on a D90 too. The 50 is abit too tight for general photography actually, its more ideal for portraiture where else the 35 becomes more or less a 50mm, which allows more space. Performance wise, I feel the 35 is slightly better. oh yah and its much more quieter!

......oh yah and its much more quieter!

50mmf1.8 costs less than 35mmf1.8dx; but the former doesn't come with the swm...which means no auto-focusing mode on d40 or any cam body without a motor in it...
35mm has the swm and therefore is alot quieter and auto-focusing is pretty fast...

another shot taken with 35mm....
click to view large:

lens with good bokeh, can try 85mmf3.5dxmicro....
click to view large:

Last edited:
Nice... Bro any portrait picture use 35mm?

Nice... Bro any portrait picture use 35mm?

...yes, but they are all family members or friends....and isn't nice to post them here.
anyway, i would normally use the 85mmf3.5dxmicro for portrait shots...nicer bokeh.

some 35mm shots...of portraiture equivalent...
click to view large:

scene shots:

...yes, but they are all family members or friends....and isn't nice to post them here.
anyway, i would normally use the 85mmf3.5dxmicro for portrait shots...nicer bokeh.

If purely for portraiture, I think the AF 85mm f/1.8D is cheaper and faster to focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.