Newbie need advice here..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbonetics

Feb 19, 2009
Hi everybody,this is my first post in this forum..
i had been reading through especially the Canon 1000D thread because i had the intention of buying one as my 1st DSLR..but now iam having 2nd thoughts because i went to Courts and played around with the 1000D today..then realised that Sony A200 price was quite competitive @ $1188 with kit lens..Canon 1000D with kits lens and 75mm-300mm cost about $1120..

so i did some search from wiki and notice some differences between the two models..

1)Shutter speed:
A200:30~1/4000,1/160secX-Sync
1000D:1/4000 to 30 sec,1/200s X-Sync

2)Exposing Meter:
A200:40-segment honeycomb sensing system provides multi-pattern measuring
1000D:full aperture TTL, 35-zone SPC

3)ISO:
A200:100-3200
1000D:100-1600

Does the differences above makes a big difference in performance??
Thanks for your precious opinions..

Hey r u the same person from MCF? :p

READ MORE too....

While the initial cost for the Sony may be low, but the flash, lenses and other accessories are not cheap. Look them up and compare which would be more costly in the end....

Wah...Sony users must be damn rich or carrot heads then since they are buying more expensive stuff.

Anyway, IIRC the Sony A200 is selling at $999 only. Why not go to the shops like Cathay Photo or MS Color to try out the cameras to see which suits you more.

TS, never consider a Nikon? ;)

TS, never consider a Nikon? ;)

do u mean D60??
iam looking for twin lens package which i think the D60 does not have any promo now..

Wah...Sony users must be damn rich or carrot heads then since they are buying more expensive stuff.

Anyway, IIRC the Sony A200 is selling at $999 only. Why not go to the shops like Cathay Photo or MS Color to try out the cameras to see which suits you more.

kit lens is now selling at $888.

I don't mean that. But the cost of the lenses and flash is quite high compared to the other brands. Which is why I suggested for the TS to do a bit of smart comparision first.

Make sure the overall budget fits...

I don't mean that. But the cost of the lenses and flash is quite high compared to the other brands. Which is why I suggested for the TS to do a bit of smart comparision first.

Make sure the overall budget fits...

Lenses are pretty much the same - sometimes more ex, sometimes cheaper. Sigma and Tamron lenses are available too.

As for the flash, you can get a 58AM for as low as about 550 or so; and the 58AM is an awesome flash. The Canon 580EX is about 700 SGD.

So really, where's the "cost of the lenses and flash is quite high compared to the other brands" if it's the same, if not cheaper?

If I recall correctly the SB900 is more expensive than the Sony F58AM flagship flash and the Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED is about SGD 2500-2600 while the Sony CZ 24-70 f/2.8 is about 2400 Street, 2599 list price. For the price, you get an AF CZ lens. :thumbsup:

The Nikkor AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED is about 2500 SGD.
The Sony 70-200 SSM G f/2.8 is about 2600 street price which is slightly more expensive only.
(quoting bro Rashkae from another thread)

I wouldn't say that it's very much more expensive then. Just that Sony tends to produce better grade lenses which carries a bigger price tag compared to the lower grade lenses and this may put newbies off without them realizing that they're paying for better quality lenses. That's why I will go for the cheaper Minolta lenses until I can afford the premium lenses.

Last edited:
READ MORE too....

While the initial cost for the Sony may be low, but the flash, lenses and other accessories are not cheap. Look them up and compare which would be more costly in the end....

No offend, but this is a myth. There is no one brand which has lenses/flashes/accessories that are significant cheaper or more expensive than the rest.

To TS: The biggest advantage of the A200 over the 1000D is the sensor based anti-shake system, which works for all attached lenses.

don't know why this brand does not give me any "good impression"...
no offence..;p

Ha.. ha.. don't blame you.
No advertisement :D

Take a 2nd look and check out the sub-forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.