Newbie need advice here..

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had heard about dry cabi..what is the purpose(prevent dust or moist?)?? is it a must to have??

The ambient relative humidity in SG (70-90%) is higher than the recommended environmental conditions of most manufacturers (see manual). Fungus "loves" such conditions: warm, humid, organic material (e.g. sweat, dust) and dark. So it's just a question of time till you'll get some fancy "development" inside your camera or lenses. If you don't like this you better store your equipment under conditions that are less welcoming to fungus, a lower RH of about 40-50%
Whether you use a simple dry box with silica gel or a electrical dry cabinet is up to you. Here is a nice article about the common types of dry cabinets. In addition, a dry cabinet also serves as a common storage for all gears (e.g. filter). Keeps it tidy.
No need to panic, get something within the next weeks after you got your cam and you are fine. Also, the best way to prevent fungus is using your gear and exposing it to sun.

You have left out "looking carefully at the freebies before buying". Zac's advice is correct, the deals at such fares are not really good. Reason: those freebies are mostly cheap stuff "most go". Going to reputable shops will get you a lower price and the choice whether you want freebies or get the necessary accessories step by step and well-selected. What's the point of getting things for free if the quality is only mediocre and you will replace them rather sooner than later? Cleaning kit is not essential in the first days. Take the time to check the various types of tripods before you spend. The same goes for camera bags: huge selection of brands, types and sizes. Is the 2nd battery an original one or 3rd party? Keep in mind: not many people buy those freebies 2nd hand once you replace them with better equipment.

ok,i understand what u mean..
thanks for your advice..
will consider again..

seriously,i need freebies too...
because this is my very first SLR camera..:bsmilie:
hope to get at least 2 cards,1 tripod,an extra battery,cleaning kit and a bag..
whatelse have i left out??

Eeehhh...
1. Cards: The cards they give as freebies at the It shows are usually "clearance" cards because they're so slow.
2. Tripod: Those 10-20 SGD ones... I wouldn't trust my camera to it.
3. Extra battery: pretty common, you can get this bundle at the reputable shops too.
4. Cleaning kit: Almost useless. Get a $3 Microfibre cloth.
5. Bag: Best to pick your own. :)

Remember.... It's "IT Show" not "Camera Show". focus will be on computer parts.

Eeehhh...
1. Cards: The cards they give as freebies at the It shows are usually "clearance" cards because they're so slow.
2. Tripod: Those 10-20 SGD ones... I wouldn't trust my camera to it.
3. Extra battery: pretty common, you can get this bundle at the reputable shops too.
4. Cleaning kit: Almost useless. Get a $3 Microfibre cloth.
5. Bag: Best to pick your own. :)

Remember.... It's "IT Show" not "Camera Show". focus will be on computer parts.

hi Rashkae,
what do u mean on the above highlighted??
slow as in slow selling or slow in storing/uploading images??

hi Rashkae,
what do u mean on the above highlighted??
slow as in slow selling or slow in storing/uploading images??

Slow to write, slow to read, slow to copy... If you start shooting RAW, you'll appreciate faster cards.

Edit: Galdor's link explains it. :)

I think if they give you extra memory card you may find it not enough for you if you intent to shoot RAW. Might as well buy the camera from any reputable shops and use the amount of money to buy a 16GB fast memory. It works very well if you intent to shoot for the whole day and upload to your computer when you reach home. Rather than you use 2 or 3 memory card swapping here and there.
And as for Dry Cabi, to me... is a must have thing.. I don wan my lens and camera to get fungus in just a short time.

Last edited:
Hmmm,didn't know there are so many things to learn in photography even memory card plays a part..really appreciate all of your help...;)

Hmmm,didn't know there are so many things to learn in photography even memory card plays a part..really appreciate all of your help...;)

Plenty more to learn...

Keep reading. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.