newbie macro shots - using 50MM 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good shot!
try to reduce the flash power on the insect a little bit.
It is one good macro lens

try includling most of the insect. one feeler is cropped. i agree with hhho, less flash. better still, no flash if lighting permits. a tripod will help greatly.

and i'm jealous. i want the 50mm! how much did u get yours for?

here's one of mine taken with the 50-200 and cropped:

dragonfly10ef.jpg

haha thanks for the flattery. 829? wah. i'm hoping to get my hands on a second hand one. $$$ problem lah.

raptor: u're a competitor for the 50mm i want!

abhivachan said:
Thanks. Your picture is too good man.I paid S$829 (installments for 2 years) in cathay photo. Still in learning curve.

I am tempted to go on credit for this lens too. Macro shots need light lens, telephoto is abit heavy to use.

abhivachan said:
Thanks. Your picture is too good man.I paid S$829 (installments for 2 years) in cathay photo. Still in learning curve.

I paid the same price about a year ago.
This is how i make use of it with teleconvertor EC14

PB136553_copy.jpg

Cheers,
Patrick Ho

hhho said:
I paid the same price about a year ago.
This is how i make use of it with teleconvertor EC14

PB136553_copy.jpg

Cheers,
Patrick Ho
Good one, I can hardly get close to any butterflies with a 180mm macro and you can get so close to one with a 50mm + 1.4ext ? :thumbsup:

abhivachan said:
here's my bad attempt in the butterfly shot

20051210123751_second-macro.jpg

Not bad at all.
Keep shooting and you will improve over time.

Chhers,
Patrick Ho

majere2sg said:
Good one, I can hardly get close to any butterflies with a 180mm macro and you can get so close to one with a 50mm + 1.4ext ? :thumbsup:

It is one of the friendly butterflies I encounter so far.
So friendly that it can rest on my little index finger and allow me an one-handheld shot.
It is truely an one-handheld shot, one hand holding my camera and the other index finger supporting the lacewing butterfly.
By the way, it is not 1.4ext.
It is teleconvertor EC14 to get me 70mm focal length
Cheers,
Patrick Ho

abhivachan said:
here's my bad attempt in the butterfly shot

20051210123751_second-macro.jpg

no such think as a bad attempt lah! lol. every attempt is a learning process. everyone is constantly learning. so dun be so self-critical! every picture has always something to improve on. in my opinion, there's no such thing as perfect composition lah. take a look at the macro pics around and find ur own style. :D

20051210123751_secondmacro.jpg

Bro dont mind if i play around with your pic.'s perspective and explore the possibilities.

hhho said:
It is one of the friendly butterflies I encounter so far.
So friendly that it can rest on my little index finger and allow me an one-handheld shot.
It is truely an one-handheld shot, one hand holding my camera and the other index finger supporting the lacewing butterfly.
By the way, it is not 1.4ext.
It is teleconvertor EC14 to get me 70mm focal length
Cheers,
Patrick Ho

hey patrick

i've seen ur gallery. nice butterflies u got there! :thumbsup: your exif for some pics show some shots were taken wif the ex25 and e tele. how's the setup like? do u focus with the zoom? i'm thinking of getting the tube for my 50-200. it's cheaper than the 50mm. :think: do you prefer the tc over the extender for the 50mm?

btw cropping and orientation does make a diffence. =) shoot on!

kelvin

abhivachan said:

Why not wait for the 35 macro? Thread mention it's half the price of the 50 mm.

KrY0LiT3 said:
hey patrick

i've seen ur gallery. nice butterflies u got there! :thumbsup: your exif for some pics show some shots were taken wif the ex25 and e tele. how's the setup like? do u focus with the zoom? i'm thinking of getting the tube for my 50-200. it's cheaper than the 50mm. :think: do you prefer the tc over the extender for the 50mm?

btw cropping and orientation does make a diffence. =) shoot on!

kelvin
Another zoom lens I always carry with me is 40-150mm telephoto lens
With the combination of EXT25, it gives good working distance for shooting butterflies and dragonflies compare to the combination of 50mm & EC14

PA306196_copy.jpg

The combination of 40-150mm with EC14 would be good for shooting birds and animals

P7173675_copy.jpg

P7304007_copy.jpg

I choose 40-150mm over 50-200mm because of its handheld capabilities and also cheaper price.
I think the combination of 50-200mm & EXT25 would be even better provided handheld is not problem to you otherwise monopod or tripod is necessary.
Happy shooting
Cheers,
Patrick Ho

Status
Not open for further replies.