Newbie macro shooting

Hirzi Hussain

Aug 5, 2011
Hi all,

Here are a couple of shots i took. Any advice on improving will be greatly appreciating.

Shots taken at Venus Drive

Spider moulting

Spider moulting by Hirzi Hussain, on Flickr

Sleeping Gecko

Sleeping, do not disturb! by Hirzi Hussain, on Flickr

2nd Instar

Spiderlings 2nd instar by Hirzi Hussain, on Flickr

Wolf spider

MR Wolf by Hirzi Hussain, on Flickr

Jumping spider with eggs

marbles by Hirzi Hussain, on Flickr

Congrat on your virgin shots and post . . . lovely . . .

first few a bit dark on my computer. I especially like the spider; can see the web . . . hope to see you again . . .

#8 is a RTS (red tent spider)

Hi Hirzi, Nice night captures!

Using full flash (where flash is the only source of light), you can use the top sync speed of 1/200 or 1/250 sec and usually I use ISO100-200 to reduce noise.
The only advantage I can think of with a constant light is that you know straight away the effect of the light and the placement of the shadows. If you were thinking that the light will be soft and the shadows will be less harsh then its negative.

All the images have got good focus but the light is a letdown. The next time round, use your torch just as a focusing aid.

Good catch bro, agreed with the rest...light is kinda under but a good try and good shoots. :thumbsup:

Ok, the shots are sharp but a little under. Try putting a white material diffuser on top of the front part of the lens (near the subject). Most are using the Diaso white chopping board. If you use onboard flash, try to up the flash power or even the ISO. The light bounce off from the diffuser will definitely give more even light distribution onto the subject which also eliminate harsh shadow.

Last edited:
Congrat on your virgin shots and post . . . lovely . . .

first few a bit dark on my computer. I especially like the spider; can see the web . . . hope to see you again . . .

Yep! I kind of messed with the flash exposure and forgot to change back. Will definitely see you guys again. Had loads of fun! Thanks for the batteries!
#8 is a RTS (red tent spider)
Thanks for correction!

Hi Hirzi, Nice night captures!

Using full flash (where flash is the only source of light), you can use the top sync speed of 1/200 or 1/250 sec and usually I use ISO100-200 to reduce noise.
The only advantage I can think of with a constant light is that you know straight away the effect of the light and the placement of the shadows. If you were thinking that the light will be soft and the shadows will be less harsh then its negative.

All the images have got good focus but the light is a letdown. The next time round, use your torch just as a focusing aid.

Noted! Thanks for the advice! I was playing around with shutter speed 1/125 all the while, now i know can go up to 1/200 to get an easier shot. I had a very hard time focusing on the subject previously i was using manual on everything. So I can't see anything on the lens. Eventually i used auto sensor on my lens and body and somehow it was easier however i can't seem to focus deeply on the subject. Usually the face of the bug will be slightly blur.
Ok, the shots are sharp but a little under. Try putting a white material diffuser on top of the front part of the lens (near the subject). Most are using the Diaso white chopping board. If you use onboard flash, try to up the flash power or even the ISO. The light bounce off from the diffuser will definitely give more even light distribution onto the subject which also eliminate harsh shadow.

Can you pm me on a picture of how the diffuser looks like? Currently i'm using the sb700 as flash. I was just using the build in diffuser. When i shoot tiny bugs, the flash seems to be overexposed so i actually bring up the exposure to +1 to soften the tone. But i believe i really need to look into making a diffuser.

Good catch bro, agreed with the rest...light is kinda under but a good try and good shoots. :thumbsup:

Thank you sir, will definitely try to take better shots!

Nice Catch!!! Good try!!!!... Better than my first shot...:)

Yep! I kind of messed with the flash exposure and forgot to change back. Will definitely see you guys again. Had loads of fun! Thanks for the batteries!

Thanks for correction!

Noted! Thanks for the advice! I was playing around with shutter speed 1/125 all the while, now i know can go up to 1/200 to get an easier shot. I had a very hard time focusing on the subject previously i was using manual on everything. So I can't see anything on the lens. Eventually i used auto sensor on my lens and body and somehow it was easier however i can't seem to focus deeply on the subject. Usually the face of the bug will be slightly blur.

Can you pm me on a picture of how the diffuser looks like? Currently i'm using the sb700 as flash. I was just using the build in diffuser. When i shoot tiny bugs, the flash seems to be overexposed so i actually bring up the exposure to +1 to soften the tone. But i believe i really need to look into making a diffuser.

Here a pic of my simple setup which I am now still using. If can, try to use a reflector on the flash.
5684188100_8f475e3dac_z.jpg

Last edited:
^but for that type of setup, where can I put a torch light? I was thinking of placing a torch light on top of the lens so that I can focus on the subject for night photography. If I put a torch light, it will be blocked by the diffuser. My sb700 comes with a build in plastic reflector too.

I'm still wondering, for night macro should I put everything to manual? I really had a hard time focusing when I was on manual yesterday, like a blind photographer.

When I switched the lens to autofocus and body autofocus on, it was easier however I the subject is always blurred. I need to move forward and backward a lot of time to get a goodshot. Sometimes I can't even get a goodshot as autofocus don't allow me to shoot when I have focused it manually.

We normally don't use the 'reflector' in our flash cos it is kind of small for our use. Hence we normally buy or DIY ourselves.
You can place the touchlight at the sides or below if it is hindering you on top . . . and here comes your creativity in the world of macro setup.
There is no right or wrong way, only your way . . . as long as you enjoy it.

The focusing problem at night . . . as some seniors had told you, you need to use the touch light as the focusing light for you. Once lock in, it will be sharp and clear . . . of course the setting must be right lor.
Hence buy good touch light as i have shared with you . . . ( oh, the lumen at 100 hor . . . i think it is $29.90, can't really remember now)

Or any senior here can introduce a cheaper but good ones . . .

Nice Catch!!! Good try!!!!... Better than my first shot...:)

Thank you sir, just lucky i guess. :p
Nice captures.

Thank you sir
We normally don't use the 'reflector' in our flash cos it is kind of small for our use. Hence we normally buy or DIY ourselves.
You can place the touchlight at the sides or below if it is hindering you on top . . . and here comes your creativity in the world of macro setup.
There is no right or wrong way, only your way . . . as long as you enjoy it.

The focusing problem at night . . . as some seniors had told you, you need to use the touch light as the focusing light for you. Once lock in, it will be sharp and clear . . . of course the setting must be right lor.
Hence buy good touch light as i have shared with you . . . ( oh, the lumen at 100 hor . . . i think it is $29.90, can't really remember now)

Or any senior here can introduce a cheaper but good ones . . .

Thats a great idea! I dunno why am i so narrow minded, to think that i can only place the torch at the top of my lens. haha.
I'm actually considering this flashlight for to hold for night photography.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-c3-cree-1xaa-1x14500-flashlight-with-holster-1993

I use a rubber band to tight my touch light under my lens then tilt the lighting upwards till i can see light from my lens..

Last edited:
nice collection but i dun think #8 is a RTS

Last edited: