Newbie looking to improve on shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

keltong

Aug 6, 2007
Sembawang
Hi,

I am very very new to shooting and has pick out a few shots which I like (yes, the rest are worst). Not sure if this is the place to post (since it says newbies corner and I am one) and if it is ok, please give me your frank comment on how I can improve the shots. Thanks! :embrass:

Newbie001.jpg

Newbie002.jpg

Newbie003.jpg

Newbie004.jpg

#1. an ordinary snap shot.

#2. light is flat. the empty space in the foreground, ve potential to play w shadows if there is strong side light.

#3. can see u tried to use framing. but sky is badly blown.

#4. best of the lot. will be a better if there is catch-light in the eyes.

if u are lookin at photography as a hobby, beyond jus for recording purpose, u need to play around w aperture (depth of field), shutter speed (sharp/blur as desired), angle (hi/eye level/low), light (front/side/back), composition (no distracting element) etc.

keep shooting!!!

1# is a typical shot. recommend to use the background to advantage. what you can do is focus on eyes and then while holding focus move either left or right to to give more details.

2# is too empty but okay if you want to show how big the place is. what i recommend is have them stand on the line between the forest and the road using Raw or highest jpg setting then take shot. After that in post processing crop out the image and enlarge + sharpen such that it looks they took a photo in the forest with no roads in sight.

3# Good idea however not much lighting and the picture looks color dry. Touch it up a few notches in photoshop if available or any photo edit tools.

4# Okay but try to use small lighting. if worried about flash intensity on eyes, use a masking tape on the flash to reduce or a simple day to day flashlight.

It may be more appropriate to use the 'Critiques Corner' if you want C&C on your photos but do read up on the guidelines before posting.

#1. an ordinary snap shot.

#2. light is flat. the empty space in the foreground, ve potential to play w shadows if there is strong side light.

#3. can see u tried to use framing. but sky is badly blown.

#4. best of the lot. will be a better if there is catch-light in the eyes.

if u are lookin at photography as a hobby, beyond jus for recording purpose, u need to play around w aperture (depth of field), shutter speed (sharp/blur as desired), angle (hi/eye level/low), light (front/side/back), composition (no distracting element) etc.

keep shooting!!!

#1 Heehee...yah...come to think of it...like any other shot ;p

#2 When you say light is flat do you mean too ordinary, and if got some things like shadow will do better?

#3 Anyway to make the sky looks better? a CPL filter? (or at least that is what I heard people say)

#4 Again paisei ah, what is catchlight? mean can see some reflection in his eyes?

Still very very new to photography and sometimes when trying to shoot something my mind just process so slowly that I don't know what to look out for. Need to practice practice and practice. Thanks!

1# is a typical shot. recommend to use the background to advantage. what you can do is focus on eyes and then while holding focus move either left or right to to give more details.

2# is too empty but okay if you want to show how big the place is. what i recommend is have them stand on the line between the forest and the road using Raw or highest jpg setting then take shot. After that in post processing crop out the image and enlarge + sharpen such that it looks they took a photo in the forest with no roads in sight.

3# Good idea however not much lighting and the picture looks color dry. Touch it up a few notches in photoshop if available or any photo edit tools.

4# Okay but try to use small lighting. if worried about flash intensity on eyes, use a masking tape on the flash to reduce or a simple day to day flashlight.

#1 Ok...coz left and right got cars and top for aircon compressor, so trying to get out of the 'urban' things. Heehee...but like you say is a normal shot.

#2 do in this case to move back till their legs looks like on the grass and than crop out the road? Sorry if I get the wrong idea...still learning...was trying to show the road they are walking towards...but may not have come out correctly. :embrass:

#3 going to get photoshop soon and another steep learning curve on how to use it. Wonder if D-lighting will help.

#4 you mean I should use a little bit of flash is it? Ok...will try next time...

Thanks a lot for your comment. Notice how detailed you guys are...something I need to learn too.

It may be more appropriate to use the 'Critiques Corner' if you want C&C on your photos but do read up on the guidelines before posting.

That section looks like all the pro getting their photos critique, coz most of their photos already look so good...I paisei leh...coz I think my photos not even quarter way there...:embrass:

#1 Heehee...yah...come to think of it...like any other shot ;p

#2 When you say light is flat do you mean too ordinary, and if got some things like shadow will do better?

#3 Anyway to make the sky looks better? a CPL filter? (or at least that is what I heard people say)

#4 Again paisei ah, what is catchlight? mean can see some reflection in his eyes?

Still very very new to photography and sometimes when trying to shoot something my mind just process so slowly that I don't know what to look out for. Need to practice practice and practice. Thanks!

#2. flat generally means very diffussed light. such light can work for some subjects eg, waterfalls. but personally, i'd prefer side light (morning/evening) w strong shadow. gives pic depth.

#3. CPL wun work in diffussed light. a white sky will remain white. CPL works 90 degree to the sun (must ve sun/sunlight), increasing contrast/cutting reflections etc (i wun go indepth, cus i not v theory inclined).

#4. rite. catchlight means reflection in the eyes. gives a potrait "life".

attached is a pic of mine. nothin spectacular.

jus that it shows

1. strong directional light
2. slow shutter (note the blur cyclist)
3. clicking the shutter jus before the cyclist moves out of the frame

MG_6909.JPG

the contrast is too low, cus i screwed up my in-camera setting. i havent explore PhotoShop yet. else, will bump up the contrast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.