newbie - looking old

Status
Not open for further replies.

makee

Jan 31, 2007
Hi,

A newbie in taking photos and making it look old.I took this picture as i though i could make it look like someone went into the jungle years old and took a temple pic??.Hope the seniors here could give me your critique

looking_old.jpg

Original Version
Picture4_090.jpg

if I understood your intentions right you want to make the photo look old and weathered?
This photo looks like it's been scanned from an old book/photo.

If that's what you wanted I'll say you succeeded. Got the original for comparison?

certainly looks old

This is the original version

Picture4_090.jpg

Hi,

A newbie in taking photos and making it look old.I took this picture as i though i could make it look like someone went into the jungle years old and took a temple pic??.Hope the seniors here could give me your critique

looking_old.jpg

:eek: hey that's neat! Mega old lookin. Care to share the workflow?

i'd say you did a good job with ur pic :)

:eek: hey that's neat! Mega old lookin. Care to share the workflow?

No problem!,

What i did was to put in more effort that's all and some trial and error effect which will come from the PS.

Firstly i took those old notebooks which i have it 8 years ago and try to burn a bit with a lighter and of course do some bending too and i took this picture as part of my plan to do layer masking.

Then i layer masking with this background as i adjust until i feel it is okie.But still i feel it was lack of something.I look through old films and pictures for answer and i found it i need a gain to make it more interesting.There was a film gain option in the PS and i apply it and there it is.:D

i'd say you did a good job with ur pic :)

Thank you.I did put in some effort in doing it but i feel my angle of camera shot wasn't that good enough:)

my 2cents.:)
1. Make a story of the fading.
Instead of a very uniform fading because of age, instead
eg.
1. make some parts still newer because it was pressed/covered by a container..
2. water touched a portion of the photo...
3. distinctive imprint maybe left by a compass?..whatever

2. More importantly, the edges of an old photo tells a lot of story,they're the natural frame to an old photo, cropped really does not do it justice..
1. eg,old photos used to be developed with decorative patterns..
2. Are your edges damaged, stained,etc..

my 2cents.:)
1. Make a story of the fading.
Instead of a very uniform fading because of age, instead
eg.
1. make some parts still newer because it was pressed/covered by a container..
2. water touched a portion of the photo...
3. distinctive imprint maybe left by a compass?..whatever

2. More importantly, the edges of an old photo tells a lot of story,they're the natural frame to an old photo, cropped really does not do it justice..
1. eg,old photos used to be developed with decorative patterns..
2. Are your edges damaged, stained,etc..

Thanks for the advise!..I will try out the edges damaged or stain!

Status
Not open for further replies.