Newbie looking for buying new First DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperDSLR

Dec 19, 2008
This is my first post and hope to find some lights here in the forum. Seeking advices:

1. I'm looking at D90 or 450D , but leaning towards 450D due I'm new to this DSLR system
Any good recommendation or good deals currently in Singapore?

2. Is there any quick guide on the setting of camera when taking certain type of pics at certain conditions, like taking river scene with 12 sec @F/16 ISO 50 or sunset scene with 1/4 sec @f/16 and etc? Any quick guide for newbie to kick start... at least to be satify with and admire the first few shots taken by newbie like me!

3. Intend to take protrait, landscape, closeup pics, which lens should i get besides the kit lens?

4. I saw some of the pics in the forum, they are stunning and beautiful! esp the pics from the punggol scene... the one with the white grass and white trees when the actual scene are green!! How do u achv this effect, filter?? and the river with misting and cloudy effect with nice and sharp night backgrd scene.. how to achv it?

5. Do u need photoshop or the software which comes with it is good enough?

6. Just wanted to continue with this hobby for years to come. How do i hv a very good starts... well... at least getting few good shots!! will inspire me further... or keep getting bad pics... until u give up... pls advise.

Last edited:
Have you even bothered to search the forum first, as per the forum guidelines?

1. Look in the relevant sub-forums. They maintaina price guide.

2. No, there is no magic formula except for experience. When in doubt, do not use full manual.

3. All these are very different requirements. You should get a good wide angle lens and a prime lens, perhaps a 50mm macro as it doubles up as a portrailt lens too.

4. It's called IR. Look in the IR forum to see how it's done.

5. If you really want to get the most out of your pictures, a good post-processing software like photoshop is very important.

6. Read books. Rent cameras first. Learn through experience, not spoonfeeding.

This is my first post and hope to find some lights here in the forum. Seeking advices:

1. I'm looking at D90 or 450D , but leaning towards 450D due I'm new to this DSLR system
Any good recommendation or good deals currently in Singapore?

2. Is there any quick guide on the setting of camera when taking certain type of pics at certain conditions, like taking river scene with 12 sec @F/16 ISO 50 or sunset scene with 1/4 sec @f/16 and etc? Any quick guide for newbie to kick start... at least to be satify with and admire the first few shots taken by newbie like me!

3. Intend to take protrait, landscape, closeup pics, which lens should i get besides the kit lens?

4. I saw some of the pics in the forum, they are stunning and beautiful! esp the pics from the punggol scene... the one with the white grass and white trees when the actual scene are green!! How do u achv this effect, filter?? and the river with misting and cloudy effect with nice and sharp night backgrd scene.. how to achv it?

5. Do u need photoshop or the software which comes with it is good enough?

6. Just wanted to continue with this hobby for years to come. How do i hv a very good starts... well... at least getting few good shots!! will inspire me further... or keep getting bad pics... until u give up... pls advise.

Firstly i welcome u to CS....

1) The prices usually goes up and down, cant possible recommend u to a place and u definately will get the best deal.. But u can try MS colour, Cathay Photo or john 316...

2) Settings of shots are usually by experience or try & error.... Once you shoot more, the more experience u gain and know what kind of settings are more suitable for those shots...

3) portriat can try 50 1.8... Landscape u need wide... Closeup u need marco...
Dont jump into lens too fast.. Get yr basics right 1st before into lens, even u have the best lens also cant take decent pics if yr basic is not there.. I would say, start with kit lens 1st..

4) Most of the effects is achieved using photoshop, filters will help too.. Depends what kind of effect u want...

5) Dont worry about photoshop 1st.. Photoshop needs a lot of experiment and time... No point jump into it when u havent start shooting..

6) Go out shoot more, experiment more, get more experience, post here and ask for comments, meet more friends and exchange pointers...

I advise is to have a feel at the two camera first... and see which one do you like best... before deciding.. Since you do not have a legacy system, consider carefully before you buy...

thanks bro Anson n SilverIce. great advices!

1. Go check out the price guide or call up your favorite camera store for the latest prices. Last I heard, the Nikon D90 is pretty scarce.

2. Your camera can handle the basic metering. The rest is up to you. To shoot with ISO 100 or 400, f/4 or f/16 etc is entirely up to you. You'll probably learn more as you shoot more, so I'd say no hurry there.

3. That's a lot for one lens! I suggest a kit lens. A 18-55mm IS/VR may be a little limiting, but it is, nonetheless, an effective do-it-all lens. You'd probably invest in other dedicated lens in the future, but for a start, most kit lenses are fine.

4. I believe that would be IR photography. Photographers usually either mount an IR filter or modify their cameras. You'd probably not be performing the latter anytime soon.

5. Hey, Adobe Photoshop is a great tool, but that doesn't always mean you must get it. Still, I personally feel that digital post-processing is a useful skill and that a photographer should at least have some basic understanding of photo editing. If PS is too expensive, then there are cheaper alternatives, such as Adobe Photoshop Elements, as well as freeware, such as Picasa... Go Google to find out more.

6. Like most hobbies, photography requires discipline; fiscal and mental discipline. Buy what you can afford, and learn from there... Giving up is always an option, but if you are determined to succeed, then there should not be too many problems... You can always:

a. Go for photography classes
b. Go for photography outings
c. Join a photography club
d. Buy/Borrow photography books
e. Shoot more and learn by yourself

Not advertising but if your first DSLR, do consider this shop.

a53931ff.jpg

funan mini it fair...
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451980

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.