Newbie Looking for Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

carroty

Nov 17, 2009
Hey everyone,I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and finally decided to create an account:bsmilie:

I'm going to get my first DSLR next week and I've narrowed down my choices to the Sony A230,A330 and Pentax K-x.My budget is 1k.

If I were to get the Sony A230 or A330, should I get:
-single lens kit then top up $2xx to get the extended warranty and SAL50F18 lens
-twin lens kit

After reading so much,it seems the pentax k-x has better reviews but I don't know if the AA batteries are a good or bad thing.I've also tried the A230 and A330 and I find the grip okay but don't know if the liveview is really important.

Any advice?Thanks:sweatsm:

The option for live view with the tilting LCD screen is actually very nice. If you don't think you need live view, just save your $$$ and get the A230.

and the SAL 50 f/1.8 is a really nice lens. Excellent sharpness and bokeh.

Hey everyone,I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and finally decided to create an account:bsmilie:

I'm going to get my first DSLR next week and I've narrowed down my choices to the Sony A230,A330 and Pentax K-x.My budget is 1k.

If I were to get the Sony A230 or A330, should I get:
-single lens kit then top up $2xx to get the extended warranty and SAL50F18 lens
-twin lens kit

After reading so much,it seems the pentax k-x has better reviews but I don't know if the AA batteries are a good or bad thing.I've also tried the A230 and A330 and I find the grip okay but don't know if the liveview is really important.

Any advice?Thanks:sweatsm:

Between the 2 I'll go for the A330 with single kit and extended warranty.

The option for live view with the tilting LCD screen is actually very nice. If you don't think you need live view, just save your $$$ and get the A230.

and the SAL 50 f/1.8 is a really nice lens. Excellent sharpness and bokeh.

Between the 2 I'll go for the A330 with single kit and extended warranty.

Ohh I see.What about if I get the A230 twins lens and the SAL 50 f/1.8?Haha is it abit overkill for a newbie?Btw whens the latest for me to buy the extended warranty after I buy the camera?

Hmm I think I won't be needed the tilting LCD and I could upgrade to the A5xx in future once I am more familiar..

Big hello and welcome to the club! the first choice with extended warranty is nice and the sal 50 f/1.8 lens is good for portraits while you did not state how much needed to top up for the twin lens kit, If you can afford its always a welcomed addition. whichever brand you go for, bottom deal is try out the models you like and get the one you liked the most within your budget.

not going to consider Canon or Nikon?

Hmm considered but seems that pentax and sony are more affordable?Anything to recommend for a budget of 1.2k?

Ohh I see.What about if I get the A230 twins lens and the SAL 50 f/1.8?Haha is it abit overkill for a newbie?Btw whens the latest for me to buy the extended warranty after I buy the camera?

Hmm I think I won't be needed the tilting LCD and I could upgrade to the A5xx in future once I am more familiar..

I would suggest that you go straight to the A500/550 in this case. Everytime you change a cam, the value depreciates and the A500/550 being a newer cam and of a higher class will last you longer before your next upgrade. Besides the noise control on the A500/550 is much superior to the entry level A230/330/380.

Anyway, regarding lenses, I would suggest getting a body only or a single kit as there are many people selling the kit lenses so getting a 2nd hand will save you some $

I would suggest that you go straight to the A500/550 in this case. Everytime you change a cam, the value depreciates and the A500/550 being a newer cam and of a higher class will last you longer before your next upgrade. Besides the noise control on the A500/550 is much superior to the entry level A230/330/380.

Anyway, regarding lenses, I would suggest getting a body only or a single kit as there are many people selling the kit lenses so getting a 2nd hand will save you some $

Thanks Galdor..I thought of going for the A550 straight but seems like the Pentax k-x is quite a worthy competitor and costs about $960 only.

Say if i were to get the A550 body only,what lens should I get besides the SAL 50mm f1.8?

that depends on you.

lithium ion batteries are more "stable", but AA batteries are way cheaper compared to lithium ion batteries. plus, if you own a p&s using AA batteries, you just need ONE charger.

AA batteries are easily available if you run out outside.. if you have lithium ion, you can't buy one off the shelf. yes, alkaline batteries very lousy battery life on cameras, but 150 shots better than 0 shots. not to mention, lithium AA batteries nowadays very common.

i have used both, both have their perks. both have their disadvantages.. depends on you! :)

Thanks Galdor..I thought of going for the A550 straight but seems like the Pentax k-x is quite a worthy competitor and costs about $960 only.

Say if i were to get the A550 body only,what lens should I get besides the SAL 50mm f1.8?

go and try both out..

as to what lens to get, you decide. some suggestions: tamron 17-50, kit lens, sigma 18-50 f/2.8.. blah blah blah.

Hmm considered but seems that pentax and sony are more affordable?Anything to recommend for a budget of 1.2k?

Get the A500 then. With kit lens it's well within your budget and you get auto-HDR too.

Kit lens and the 50mm are very good for starters. When you know more about photography and camera, you can decide which one to get next.

thanks everyone :]

right now i'm most likely to get the pentax k-x after reading through the pentax forums and reviews.
i'm also considering the sony A230 twin lens kit + extended warranty for 50mm lens..

just wanna get something to learn asap while its still within budget and look to upgrade in the future :D

which would be a better dslr for learners?btw forgot to mention that video is not important to me..

my suggestion,

a) get a 2nd hand A300/330 with kit lens for $550 (can find one, maybe even less)

then wait for Sony to come out with the replacement for A700 and upgrade to that, or maybe even go Full Frame in future if you feel like it (Sony has the cheapest FF anyway, and i hv a feeling that there will be alot of Sony FF users in future). By then u should be familar with DSLR already. Since u bought ur A300/330 for $550 only, even if u sell it cheaper u wont make much loss, or u can keep it as a 2nd body, lend to friend to use etc.

b) Just buy a A500/A550 and dont think of upgrading for the next 2-3 yrs. The A500 is a very good cam that can last you very long.

Last edited:
Hey TS. I am new too. I have bought a sony a330 after much consideration. It's on-screen guide is rather useful as it lets you know what the different functions are for. If you are someone who will want to upgrade after a few years to commemorate your second or third anniversary (for photography :bsmilie:) ), then get a decent and cheap one to start off. I am like that, so I didnt get a mid-range one. I would definitely upgrade in the future.

And also, the sony a500/550 might not have the guide ( I don't know) and the interface might be for people who are more experienced...

And you will need the basic zoom lenses sooner or later, so why not get it now with a decent body and get used to it. Then, upgrade the body and use the lenses.

IMO.

the A500/550 has guide mode too. Its made for both beginners as well as advanced users.

If you can stretch your budget a bit, the A550 with Sony CZ 16-80mm or 16-105mm would be the ultimate package. ;)

1)Pentax K-x with kit lens
2)Sony A230 twin lens kit,50mm f/1.8
3)Sony A550 kits lens only

For option 2,learn first then 2-3 years later upgrade but keep the lens.
For option 3,currently no budget for other lens :( save more money to get 50mm lens in future.

BTW if i want to buy the extended warranty,do i have to do it at the same time as when i buy the camera?or can wait a few weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.