Newbie looking for advice on DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxlex

Aug 5, 2008
East
flickr.com
Hello :)

Have not been taking photos since 1999. Use to use a Pentax (cant remember the model number) film type back then.... i obviously cant find it anymore :bsmilie:

Am looking at picking up again but have no clue about a good DSLR to start with.

I love to do close ups, portraits (but more candids) and scenaries once awhile if it catches my attention. night scenes a nice too (but have never really figured out the way to do it perfectly) :cry:

Any suggestions from the kind folks here?

Thanks in advance.

It all depends on your budget, and which brand and specs of the camera u r looking for..

dunno if should go for 2nd hand or 1st... no brand in particular actually...just something decent for my purpose would be good :)

well, u can try, there's lots of affordable 2nd hand cams for sale at the Buy / Sell sections
Do visit :)

any particular recommendations? (e.g. brand, model, etc)

Nikon - D40, D60, D80
Canon - 400D, 450D, 1000D
Sony - A200, A300, A350
Olympus - E-420, E520
Pentax - K200D, K20D

Nikon - D40, D60, D80
Sony - A200, A300, A350
Olympus - E-420, E520
Pentax - K200D, K20D
thanks so much... :)

but for my purpose which is a better option?

I know its hard to size down exactly but based on all ur current experience?

Tks in advance :)

Basically all can achieve and satisfy your needs.

There is no perfect system, perhaps you would like to have a feel of these cameras in a shop to see which is more comfortable for you.

hmm.... maybe i really should start popping by the stores....

just want to make sure i dun end up with a lemon ;)

Have not been taking photos since 1999...

What made you stop? Lost interest? Too difficult or expensive? Important questions you will need to ask yourself. If you buy an expensive DSLR you might regret it later. Maybe a compact would suffice. If it's snapshots you're more into and don't have the budget and time to post process pictures, get a good compact (click here) or prosumer camera such as a Canon Powershot G9. Practice, practice, practice and when you're ready, go for a DSLR. You'd thank the heavens for doing so.

Am looking at picking up again but have no clue about a good DSLR to start with.

Long topic. Will try to be very brief. You can't go wrong with most modern DSLRs. They're all good. Canon and Nikon are the most popular. Then you've got the Olympus, Sony, Pentax... Check them out in dpreview.com/ or asia.cnet.com/ for the prices, specs and reviews. Personally, if I was to start from scratch on a very limited budget, I'd go with a Nikon D60 or a Canon 450D.

I love to do close ups, portraits (but more candids) and scenaries once awhile if it catches my attention. night scenes a nice too (but have never really figured out the way to do it perfectly) :cry:

Any cameras including cameraphones can do just about all you mentioned.

Would you need HD video? Do you really want to spend thousands and lug around a tripod, a flash, extra lenses, no time to post process pictures, read photo books? Do you really need very high quality pictures when an "it's-A-OK" picture will do? If you say yes to all these then probably a DSLR is not for you... yet.

HTH

Last edited:
What made you stop? Lost interest? Too difficult or expensive? Important questions you will need to ask yourself. If you buy an expensive DSLR you might regret it later. Maybe a compact would suffice. If it's snapshots you're more into and don't have the budget and time to post process pictures, get a good compact (click here) or prosumer camera such as a Canon Powershot G9. Practice, practice, practice and when you're ready, go for a DSLR. You'd thank the heavens for doing so.

Actually its because i began working and have been spending the last few years building my work life... now got more time to start gg back to stuff that interest me.. :bsmilie: I started "learning" in school and sort of started getting more into it (probably coz my dad was a FT wedding photographer (but back then... not sure what the standards were man:think::bsmilie:) I have actually been playing with the compact for a while already and thats why now thinking of dwelling further

Long topic. Will try to be very brief. You can't go wrong with most modern DSLRs. They're all good. Canon and Nikon are the most popular. Then you've got the Olympus, Sony, Pentax... Check them out in dpreview.com/ or asia.cnet.com/ for the prices, specs and reviews. Personally, if I was to start from scratch on a very limited budget, I'd go with a Nikon D60 or a Canon 450D.

I was actually looking at the Nikon (maybe coz thats my digi's brand ;)) until i was introduced to the Pentax K10 or K200... but havent really decided, just want smthg that feel good, shoot goods and most imptly, easily maintains and good compatibility...

Any cameras including cameraphones can do just about all you mentioned.

Would you need HD video? Do you really want to spend thousands and lug around a tripod, a flash, extra lenses, no time to post process pictures, read photo books? Do you really need very high quality pictures when an "it's-A-OK" picture will do? If you say yes to all these then probably a DSLR is not for you... yet.

HTH

lol... i remembered the days i use to hide in the dark room for hours trying to process and develop my film... LOL... not too concern about issues like that as i'm so used to lugging stuff around and photography is always and interest and whos complains about their interest? LOL

Any form of advice is appreciated... thanks!

if you do close up and portraits, i suggest you start by checking suitable lenses. e.g. 85mm f1.4 from canon/nikon etc.

then u choose your cam body. there are also 3rd party lenses that can be fitted on many brands of body.

Thank you all for your kind advices... really much appreciated....

Still in deep dilema between the canon, nikon & pentax... hmmm....

i chose my canon simply cuz i like the shutter sound.. haha!

and buy/sell second hand is easier for popular brands.. good luck finding your perfect one!

Nikon - D40, D60, D80
Sony - A200, A300, A350
Olympus - E-420, E520
Pentax - K200D, K20D

Yeah, all brands are good. K20D looks very exciting.

Thank you all for your kind advices... really much appreciated....

Still in deep dilema between the canon, nikon & pentax... hmmm....

Can compare based on value-addedness

actually I've very much sized down to pentax... Now just considering either getting a second hand pentax k100d or k10d...

Not that other brands are no good or anything though :)

I started ten years ago w a SLR Pentax and hence decided to give my old friend another go...

Btw, how to identify a wide angle, macro, zoom lens etc?

That's how out of touch I am already... Shutter aperature still can roughyly remember... All the hardware return to my teacher Liao... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.