NEWBIE Looking for a DSLR for my needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannywfs

Jun 15, 2012
Singapore
hey all,
im pretty new to photography...
planning to get myself a DSLR and get going on my photography journey!
my skills are maybe suitable for a semi pro kind like d90 or 550d

but now im having a headache of what brand/model of dslr will suit my needs
im looking for a DSLR that would prolly give me a much natural feel to the pics...
i know its also on the skills of the photographer.
will take that in mind but i just hope to get a DSLR that really feels good to myself

ill most prolly be taking shots like:
portrait shots for modelling
landscape for long exposure shots
marco to shoot little things like flowers n items

what im planning is to actually get a DSLR body n affordable lens for my needs
all secondhand for this forum~
looking at nikon or canon for the body
lens wise i dont mind getting "3rd party" like sigma or tokina (thats what i know)

please to advice me on what can i do.
many thanks~

danny

any camera can do what you just posted. go read the stickies. they're there for a reason. after that, you can streamline your options and post again with more substance.

also "new to photography" but consider yourself "advanced" enough to use a "semi-pro body"?

from your thread i can tell you're clueless. you're better off learning with a point-and-shoot that has Manual Functions.

Last edited:
hey all,

im looking for a DSLR that would prolly give me a much natural feel to the pics...
will take that in mind but i just hope to get a DSLR that really feels good to myself

lens wise i dont mind getting "3rd party" like sigma or tokina (thats what i know)

many thanks~

danny

You sound quite excited to begin your photographic journey, but your post revealed a number of misconceptions which you have.
"my skills are maybe suitable for a semi pro kind like d90 or 550d" --> huh? what is that? Does the shop salesman test your IT knowledge before selling you a PC or laptop? :bigeyes:

What I suggest is for you to fix yourself a total budget of $____.
From this budget, deduct about $120-150 as maintenance budget for accessories like dry cabinet, lens blower, etc
Now, with the remaining budget, trawl through ClubSNAP's personal classifieds section to shortlist some cameras that you can afford. Don't focus only on Canon and Nikon, only to ignore the other brands.
After shortlisting, go read some online reviews and try to get hands-on time (eg. at the various brands' showrooms).
If you finally still can't decide between 2 or 3, it's just a matter of luck :) Can't really go too far wrong. They're all basically competent cameras.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.

Why I meant by the d90 thing was because I've been using my sis 500d for quite awhile but she sold her cam to fun up for other things. And I'm quite efficient to the manual and aperture priority stuff but still need to buck up one other modes.

But now im gettin a dslr for my own So should I actually get a semi pro cam or stick to a beginner one,
My budget is around 1k- 1.5k to get the gears up...

Really hope that clears the misunderstand

Danny

In that case you will probably be looking at the Canon 600D, Nikon D5100, Sony A65 range (around $1K). There are also other models from other brands so do read up lots of reviews. Best will be to hands on to try the different cameras and see which one suits you the best :)

what you can do is to sit down with a piece of paper, then list down the camera body that you have shortlisted

write down their pros/cons

list down also the additional things (like lenses/flash/batteryg grip etc) of these camera bodies

make you decision based on the camera with most pros, and also the best

Different people have different expectations and needs, so even for the same cameras (eg D90 & 550D), Person A's pros/cons will be different from Person B

Other than the camera body, you will also need to consider the lenses

for example...
I will prefer the the Canon 550D as I can get the canon EF 50mm f1.8(at about $120) to go with it. The Nikon's AF 50mm f/1.8D will be about $180.... but some people will say that the Nikon's 50mm lens is better than the Canon's 50mm...

So it's your own call if you think the extra $60 is worth it or not

maybe you don't want the 50mm prime, but that's just an example...

since you already have had experience with the 500D, the newer 600D will seem to be the easier choice for you as the ergonomics, controls, functions etc are quite similar across these 2 bodies.

of cause' you can try out other brands as well BUT i strongly suggest that you go and have a feel of these cameras before plonking your money down.

having the best functions is not everything. if you do not like the feel of the camera in your hands, then ultimately it will stay home most of the time as a giant paperweight.

Why I meant by the d90 thing was because I've been using my sis 500d for quite awhile but she sold her cam to fun up for other things. And I'm quite efficient to the manual and aperture priority stuff but still need to buck up one other modes.

But now im gettin a dslr for my own So should I actually get a semi pro cam or stick to a beginner one,

Danny

What can't you do with the 500D that you need in your own camera?

What can't you do with the 500D that you need in your own camera?

He can't.... take photos? :)

Danny

i get amused sometimes when i read some threads. and this is one of them.

TS asks for newbie advice on buying DSLR.
Newbie is pro in many modes. and has used Canon 500d.
Newbie posts for friend to sell friends nikon D5000.

umm in my opinion TS could have had any of those two cameras for cheap.

any ways back on topic TS should pay heed to photoart and tecnica's advice as its a more logical approach.

Last edited:

Danny

Hahaha well there wasn't really a misunderstanding to begin with, or was there?
Any comments on your experience with the 500D? Did you like it? What were you happy/unhappy about when using it?
Not sure what you mean by "...still need to buck on one other modes"

1.5K total budget leaves you around 1.3K for camera and lens(es). Not too shabby. Should be able to find a decent 2nd hand entry or 'enthusiast' DSLR with a kit lens and possibly a fast 50mm lens (eg. 50/1.8) for that budget.

hey all,

many thanks~

danny

Wouldn't encourage you to get D90 or 550D, as I felt it's a little outdated and there's loads of newer models for to do choose and compare... and in my own opinion, 550D is not a semi-pro camera.

Danny

Since you feel that you are efficient on manual settings and already had experience on using your sister's 500D, I guess Canon is probably better for you as you were already familiar with the controls.

I think 600D (entry-level) or 60D (semi-pro) would be suitable for you but getting the latter with some maintainence equipments might bust your budget.

TS is an interesting character. Use his sister 500D till she told that away. Just poster wts a Nikon D500. What's wrong with those cams?
Why didn't he took over his sister's cam (pay her) or keep the nikon (his or selling for someone) and save some of the $$$ to buy additional lenses....

i don't see anything wrong with TS for not taking over his sister's 500D or his friend's D5000.

maybe TS is just looking at newer and or better models as he stated D90 or 550D which both are a step up from the D5000 and 500D respectively.

why not we just concentrate on the main question, rather than diverting attention to otherwise issues?

i don't see anything wrong with TS for not taking over his sister's 500D or his friend's D5000.

maybe TS is just looking at newer and or better models as he stated D90 or 550D which both are a step up from the D5000 and 500D respectively.

why not we just concentrate on the main question, rather than diverting attention to otherwise issues?

Well the TS did post "But now im gettin a dslr for my own So should I actually get a semi pro cam or stick to a beginner one,"

any camera can do what you just posted. go read the stickies. they're there for a reason. after that, you can streamline your options and post again with more substance.

also "new to photography" but consider yourself "advanced" enough to use a "semi-pro body"?

from your thread i can tell you're clueless. you're better off learning with a point-and-shoot that has Manual Functions.

I guessed I've phrase it wrongly... What I meant was that I'm consider not new neither am I a pro in this... But I would like to actually know are there any Dslr that would suit my needs and without burning a big hole

You sound quite excited to begin your photographic journey, but your post revealed a number of misconceptions which you have.
"my skills are maybe suitable for a semi pro kind like d90 or 550d" --> huh? what is that? Does the shop salesman test your IT knowledge before selling you a PC or laptop? :bigeyes:

What I suggest is for you to fix yourself a total budget of $____.
From this budget, deduct about $120-150 as maintenance budget for accessories like dry cabinet, lens blower, etc
Now, with the remaining budget, trawl through ClubSNAP's personal classifieds section to shortlist some cameras that you can afford. Don't focus only on Canon and Nikon, only to ignore the other brands.
After shortlisting, go read some online reviews and try to get hands-on time (eg. at the various brands' showrooms).
If you finally still can't decide between 2 or 3, it's just a matter of luck :) Can't really go too far wrong. They're all basically competent cameras.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thank you so much!
I think my phrasing of the threading has let others misunderstood

In that case you will probably be looking at the Canon 600D, Nikon D5100, Sony A65 range (around $1K). There are also other models from other brands so do read up lots of reviews. Best will be to hands on to try the different cameras and see which one suits you the best :)

Thank you so much for your reply...
Will look into those few models that you mention.... But do you think buying a full kit will be better or buying separate?

Status
Not open for further replies.