Newbie looking 4 cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

niterider

Dec 27, 2004
Hi :)

newbie here looking to get my first (eerr...2nd) digicam. Was previously using olympus C300 (dun think anyone rem what it looks like) but was disposed last year (handed over to someone else).

Now looking to start photography seriously and wanna start afresh (including learning all the basic ABCs again). Anyone knows good sources to find know more bout the ABCs of photography, books, lao chiaos to learn from ;)

Dying to lay hands on a digicam fast... (dun mind 2nd hand oso) :think:
Something that's not too exp (mebbe ard $500), dun think gonna be on the higher end but so long as manual functions are there for me to meddle with. Cos planning to pass on to my younger sis once i decide to move onto dSLR. So can't be too bulky or boxy :D

Have tried olympus and sony digicams before and now got some recommendations for me to try out Canon A-series. Any other precious and valueless pointers?? :think:

hi look at this, maybe you can get a gd deal here.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=1016369#post1016369

this canon A70 is not commonly sold now. But still i think it fits what you want. Got full manual controls for you to play with. Noise is well... frankly not very gd at iso 400. But for a learning cam it's quite ok.
Just that it doesn't have 2nd curtain flash. and cannot mount external flash.
However, i still think it is ok for learning purposes.

my 2 cents only.

hmmm... high end and manual functions u say.... powershot A series (a75?) seems to fit ur requests...

alternatively, u spend a bit more lar. then can get powershot pro series... :devil:

hehehehe.... :bsmilie:

hey i own a c300 too......its a good cam but somewat pales in comparison with the newer models now....

for the price range now....i would recommed something like the a80... or perhaps a75....its really good value for money with manual functions to play with.....

cheers..

Hi, I’m newbie here and I’m also using Olympus C300 now. But thinking of getting a new digital camera. Can anyone out there give me some advice? My requirements are:

1) Price around $400-500

2) Light and easy to carry around. C300 uses 4-AA batteries which really adds on to its weight. Also want something with a nice grip.

3) notice that most digital camera (such as Nikon 3200) produce blur pics when the flash is turned off. However, C300 turns out okay. Any recommendations for any models that can resolve this? Btw, is it normal for blur pics if we turn off the flash or taking night shots?

Thanks in advance! :D

yen yen said:
Hi, I’m newbie here and I’m also using Olympus C300 now. But thinking of getting a new digital camera. Can anyone out there give me some advice? My requirements are:

1) Price around $400-500

2) Light and easy to carry around. C300 uses 4-AA batteries which really adds on to its weight. Also want something with a nice grip.

3) notice that most digital camera (such as Nikon 3200) produce blur pics when the flash is turned off. However, C300 turns out okay. Any recommendations for any models that can resolve this? Btw, is it normal for blur pics if we turn off the flash or taking night shots?

Thanks in advance! :D

It's normal to get a blur image when taking nightshots without tripod. The only solution to this problem is to use a tripod stand (to prevent the shakings from hands).

From your price range, it is good to get a Canon powershot A70/80s series. These cameras provide good grips, but they use 4 AA batteries though. You might want to check out the new Canon A510. It is an improved version of A75, and is slightly lighter and comsumes only 2 AA batteries. :)

niterider said:

newbie here looking to get my first (eerr...2nd) digicam. Was previously using olympus C300 (dun think anyone rem what it looks like) but was disposed last year (handed over to someone else).

Now looking to start photography seriously and wanna start afresh (including learning all the basic ABCs again). Anyone knows good sources to find know more bout the ABCs of photography, books, lao chiaos to learn from ;)

Something that's not too exp (mebbe ard $500), dun think gonna be on the higher end but so long as manual functions are there for me to meddle with. Cos planning to pass on to my younger sis once i decide to move onto dSLR. So can't be too bulky or boxy :D

Have tried olympus and sony digicams before and now got some recommendations for me to try out Canon A-series. Any other precious and valueless pointers?? :think:

looks liek u have very limited budget to play with ur camera....will u consider Film type SLR? can do consider F65 or F75 series...

i noe canon is good only when come to technology.......it is often changes....some hidden meaning...u got to often spend $$$$ if u want upgrade ur accessories...

beside...it is a not a pro - camera company like minolta-konica,nikon, whom has long time history and stable technology. these are some point i share with u before u decided to settle down with camera model.

hope u dont take it offended.

kimu-san

A85 :bsmilie:

niterider said:

camera is a tools only...i think the main point is ur idea of expressing ur photo. normal 35mm camera has some limitation...if u still want to stick to the cam...500 i think u can get relatively good model in canon ixus?

i got a few friend who is pro canon photog..do let me noe if u interested..i can get them intro some tools to u.

niterider said:

For $500 price range, canon's A-series are a good start.
And It uses CF just like DSLR. so if u have a 512Mb CF or 256Mb CF you can bring the CF over to ur DSLR.

If you are passing the camera to someone in a few years, the use of AA batteries, ensures that u wont encounter a "Battery life span ended" scenario, after using it for a few years. and having to buy another Li-ion battery.

A good digicam if probably taken care of, will give years of fun and great pics, even if its "Out of Production"

Status
Not open for further replies.